OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
See, of course now that I say that, it took forever today to connect. I had to forget CP2A 3-4 times and drive down the road for it to finally connect. I've forgotten my Jeep's Uconnect Bluetooth. It pretty much froze the screen. I couldn't cancel connection attempts, disconnect, or change screens or connect via hard wire. Firmware is up to date too so I have no idea what it could be other than interference?
I’m wondering if your home WiFi might be causing issues! I would try to disconnect from home WiFi. Maybe your phone isn’t wanting to disconnect from home WiFi in order to connect to the CP2A. I have two of these now and no issues so far.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I’m wondering if your home WiFi might be causing issues! I would try to disconnect from home WiFi. Maybe your phone isn’t wanting to disconnect from home WiFi in order to connect to the CP2A. I have two of these now and no issues so far.
negative. Home wifi was off. I noticed if i turn Bluetooth on BEFORE opening the door to get in, it seems to work fine. If I do it when I'm sitting in the driver's seat after the engine has already been started, THEN i have a mess of issues.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Once again: came out of my place today, shut off the wifi on my phone and flipped on the bluetooth before opening the door. The phone was connected before my ass hit the seat. This is awesome, but a very odd issue.

I also have an issue where, sometimes, after it connects to my phone- it jumps from Carplay over to Sirius (which I don't have- so it begins blaring adds with techno music and idiots shout talking). I'm not even touching the radio. Anyone else experience this?

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Once again: came out of my place today, shut off the wifi on my phone and flipped on the bluetooth before opening the door. The phone was connected before my ass hit the seat. This is awesome, but a very odd issue.

I also have an issue where, sometimes, after it connects to my phone- it jumps from Carplay over to Sirius (which I don't have- so it begins blaring adds with techno music and idiots shout talking). I'm not even touching the radio. Anyone else experience this?
Not here! But mine does connect prior to getting in the seat as you mentioned. That is strange though.

Sponsored

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Folks, I’m soooo confused with this post, I’ve had carplay2air since last november, why not just stick it in the USB port in the arm console And call it a day?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Folks, I’m soooo confused with this post, I’ve had carplay2air since last november, why not just stick it in the USB port in the arm console And call it a day?
Ive been wondering same. Does that not work?!

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, yes of course it works. However I hated having the thing dangle down from the media port. I did have some connection issues with it in the center console. Plus it frees up the USB ports. I like it tucked away keeps people from ripping it off as well.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
To be honest, my USB2 (console) has some connection issues, and when I connect it to USB1 the cable and USB1 cover sticks out. When I get into my Jeep after work, I often lift my backpack over into the passenger footwell and the straps can/ have gotten caught on them. I'd also rather just have it out of sight as well, as when I'm working in the Jeep I often let my son (3) sit in the passenger side and play, and he inevitable grabs everything. This prevents and protects that. Also, I'm hoping that it will allow me to keep my phone warm in my pocket in the bitter cold winters up here, because the last two winters i've gotten into the Jeep and even if the phone is fully charged it drains and shuts off before I get home (roughly 10 minutes)

Sponsored

Spanky Malone

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon - Sting Grey
Thanks @Jeepstrangler for posting this, very helpful and excited to say we got the unit working! Now my wife or I can wirelessly connect to CarPlay. I wasn’t able to get the cable setup to work though, so ours is just plugged in inside the console.

the link to the USB cable took me to a TrippLite cable, which didn’t have the cylinder inline on the cable — not sure that matters, but no matter what combination of cables I tried, couldn’t get our phones to connect to CarPlay unit via BT...

Oddly enough, I left the cables in the dash (without the CarPlay unit) and it plugging the CarPlay unit into the factory dash hub works fine, as does the console USB. Weird...

I’d really like to hide everything in the dash... any ideas why the unit wouldn’t work using jeepstrangler’s instructions? Could it be the USB cable?

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Jeepstrangler for posting this, very helpful and excited to say we got the unit working! Now my wife or I can wirelessly connect to CarPlay. I wasn’t able to get the cable setup to work though, so ours is just plugged in inside the console.

the link to the USB cable took me to a TrippLite cable, which didn’t have the cylinder inline on the cable — not sure that matters, but no matter what combination of cables I tried, couldn’t get our phones to connect to CarPlay unit via BT...

Oddly enough, I left the cables in the dash (without the CarPlay unit) and it plugging the CarPlay unit into the factory dash hub works fine, as does the console USB. Weird...

I’d really like to hide everything in the dash... any ideas why the unit wouldn’t work using jeepstrangler’s instructions? Could it be the USB cable?
I’d love to help you get this figured out. I haven’t had any issue with mine in a very long time. Do you have pictures of your install I could take a look at?

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
negative. Home wifi was off. I noticed if i turn Bluetooth on BEFORE opening the door to get in, it seems to work fine. If I do it when I'm sitting in the driver's seat after the engine has already been started, THEN i have a mess of issues.
I have/had one of these in my ZR2 Bison. Once the CarPlay2Air/CarLinkIt2 (they're the same device with different logos) gets power, it starts looking for your phone to link to the infotainment center. The infotainment center does the same thing. Depending on when each gets power relative to each other, and when each is available to the other and your phone, if there's no/not enough overlap it won't connect.

I don't have my JT yet, but in the Colorado the device starts getting power when you unlock the doors. It immediately polls for your phone and tries to connect for a limited amount of time (I think it's about 10 seconds). Meanwhile, the infotainment center doesn't start looking until you turn the key. In the ZR2's case, this means that if you don't turn the key within 10 seconds of unlocking the doors, the device won't hook up until it makes a second round of polling attempts (typically a mile or two down the road).

The pertinent question for the Jeep applications is when does the USB port get power relative to when the infotainment system gets power and related to what events. Like I said above, I don't have one in the driveway yet, so I can't even guess. In your particular instance, you have added the dimension of when the ten second device window occurs relative to you turning your bluetooth on.

As some inspiration for embedding a Qi charger, check out this thread:
https://www.coloradofans.com/thread...-pocket-for-large-phones.419729/#post-5320971

Since the "I don't have it yet" disclaimer I typed two paragraphs ago, the JT hasn't arrived, so I'm not sure where this could go, but it shows a method + parts for installing a Qi charger so long as a suitable place for one can be found.

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Any updates on this? I'm hesitant to pull the dash apart - only because if the unit sucks, then I have to do it again.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on this? I'm hesitant to pull the dash apart - only because if the unit sucks, then I have to do it again.

Thoughts?
Hi Pete,

I have had mine this way since my original post. I have never had to mess with it. It works great. I’m not sure about the others or what might be causing their issues. All I can recommend is keeping the device updated which doesn’t require you to uninstall it. We check for updates every few months.
Sponsored