Jeep JL Car Play Project.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You need to power the MagSafe charger separately from USB. Use the power inverter to tap into power outlet, then plug MagSafe directly into that.

So did you do the tap behind the dash to the Cigarette Lighter adapter? Or someplace else? Thanks so much. Just thinking now as my jeep does not arrive until 9/20. Thanks!
Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
So did you do the tap behind the dash to the Cigarette Lighter adapter? Or someplace else? Thanks so much. Just thinking now as my jeep does not arrive until 9/20. Thanks!
See the post I quoted earlier. I used a power converter, tapped into the power outlet behind the center stack, ran the MagSafe adapter to that converter and tucked it out from behind the dash. Better to have up top at eye level than to have that adapter down below.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
One thing I am curious about and have heard conflicting things about, is the responsiveness of the wireless car2play vs just regularly having your phone plugged in without the wireless CarPlay adapter.

I've seen lots about installation, but very little about living with it a after the fact.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
One thing I am curious about and have heard conflicting things about, is the responsiveness of the wireless car2play vs just regularly having your phone plugged in without the wireless CarPlay adapter.
I didn’t use Car2Play. I used the Ottocast U2 Now. I have it wired in as per the instructions in this thread. There is about a 15-20 boot up time after initial start up, but after that it works flawless. No degradation in sound quality. Slight 1 second delay when switching tracks.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I didn’t use Car2Play. Slight 1 second delay when switching tracks.
Car2play was the only version of an adapter I knew the name of. I wasn't aware there were other brands tbh.
Slight 1 second delay when switching tracks.
This is what I was had in when I was asking my question, so thanks!

Sponsored

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have three Car play to air’s in three different cars - they all work great, small “boot up time” and very slight delay selecting tracks. Navigation is flawless.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Question regarding installation. Why undo your dash when you can just plug it in the center console usb port ??? That's what I did and the device is stuck with 3M 2 way tape on the inner wall of the console. It does bug from time to time (once every 2-3 weeks) but all I have to do is reach in the center console, unplug it for a second, plug it back in and it connects right away and works perfectly. If it bugs while in you dash, is there an easy way to reset it ???

OP
OP
Jeepstrangler

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Question regarding installation. Why undo your dash when you can just plug it in the center console usb port ??? That's what I did and the device is stuck with 3M 2 way tape on the inner wall of the console. It does bug from time to time (once every 2-3 weeks) but all I have to do is reach in the center console, unplug it for a second, plug it back in and it connects right away and works perfectly. If it bugs while in you dash, is there an easy way to reset it ???
I have never had to tear open the dash to unplug it to be honest. Most issues with connectivity people have are while it’s installed in the center console from what I have read. Maybe I’ve just been fortunate. Your method does work, but after having my adapter stolen out of my truck, this is what I came up with to prevent theft and the connection issues. So that’s my reason for doing it. I always like hearing about everyone’s different ideas though. People are super creative with the things they do.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Well, it does work the way I use it, but I’m pretty handy and would do what you did if I was certain that it would never freeze or suddenly disconnect which as said, happens once every few weeks.

deathnitte

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
Hey guys, have a question after stumbling onto this thread. Trying to add USB on top of my dash for BOTH charging and CarPlay. Before I rip apart my dash, can someone confirm the USB A behind Media cover right of window controls has a standard USB plug on it. That's what it seems to look like in the original post. So I can just get a splitter and run another USB cable to the top of the dash? I want both of them to be operational even though they won't be usable at the same time I assume.

I would love wireless CarPlay adapter but I don't think they're still very reliable, or am I mistaken?

Sponsored

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I use wireless CarPlay from that specific usb without issue. The other usbs you will have issues.

deathnitte

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 80th Anniversary
Did you hide it inside the dash using the same cables/technique as the OP?

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a CarLinkit CarPlay adapter plugged into the USB in the center console. No substantive issues. Every now and then it fails to connect and there is the one second lag when switching tracks.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

hotsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 2dr
Clubs

Thanks for the detailed photos and simple write up. I’ve had the wireless car play unit for a while but haven’t really been sold on it because of the inconsistency.. I’m hoping it’s due to the usb in the center console. Just installed it behind the unit using your links. Road trip tomorrow will determine if I keep this thing or ditch it all together. Thanks again!
Love the setup and will be trying it myself but I am confused by the 4th and 8th picture. It looks like the Car2Play adapter is plugged into the console twice. Once through the female to female etc and once through the AXXESS adapter. It reads like a loop. I am sure its just me but can you help me understand where the AXXESS adapter is going coming out of the Car2Play?
Sponsored