Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
Occupation
Inside Sales - Technology
Hi All,

So bought a 2 Dr JL for my own christmas present to me. Decided to upgrade from my 2012 JK. In my deal, I wanted the softtop, but not realizing at the time I should've worked the install of the soft top into it as well. Lesson learned.

Anyhow, so now I have this ginormous box, my BF and I are going to tackle the install ourselves. I called our nearest Offroad center and they wanted to charge 1-2 hours of labor to just remove a hard top that takes minutes, so I don't feel like paying $700 for an install. Im also new to this forum, tried searching and couldn't find any threads about new - from scratch - diy installs. Anyone tenured forumers have links, videos, etc preferrably videos on install? I did find a JLU install, but would like to stick with a 2 dr install if possible.

Thanks!
-C
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Congrats on the JL! I would not expect the 2 door to be substantially different than the 4 door. I know you're a Jeep veteran, but not sure if you had a soft top before. My first thought is do it on a warm sunny day and lay it all out in the sun if possible (or anywhere else it can get warm, on my TJs I'd often lay out the windows across the hood).

Here is the link to the manual if you don't already have it.
http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862736.pdf

Let us know how it goes!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Anyone tenured forumers have links, videos, etc preferrably videos on install? I did find a JLU install, but would like to stick with a 2 dr install if possible.
I did a quick search for 2-door JL install but didn't see anything right away; I really think you're fine watching a 4-door install. All the part are the same, your track rail is just shorter obviously.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
My method for 'popping' the hard top is to push from the inside. Remove the retaining bolts and either do a seated press from the backseat, or stand in the back and brace your hips against the top and just apply easy pressure to 'break the seal' between the top and the body. An external person to guide the top (control the corners above the tail lights, that's where it slips off) and keep it steady on the body is a good idea. You aren't removing it this way, you're just 'breaking the seal' so it's easier to lift/move. Like a human bottle jack.
For the soft top install, I suggest you lay it out in the warm sun for an hour to get it soft and pliable. It's alot easier when it's sun-warmed. Don't go using a heatgun or blow dryer, just sunlight and elbow grease will do the trick.

OP
OP
eyespycrystal

eyespycrystal

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
Occupation
Inside Sales - Technology
Hi All,

So bought a 2 Dr JL for my own christmas present to me. Decided to upgrade from my 2012 JK. In my deal, I wanted the softtop, but not realizing at the time I should've worked the install of the soft top into it as well. Lesson learned.

Anyhow, so now I have this ginormous box, my BF and I are going to tackle the install ourselves. I called our nearest Offroad center and they wanted to charge 1-2 hours of labor to just remove a hard top that takes minutes, so I don't feel like paying $700 for an install. Im also new to this forum, tried searching and couldn't find any threads about new - from scratch - diy installs. Anyone tenured forumers have links, videos, etc preferrably videos on install? I did find a JLU install, but would like to stick with a 2 dr install if possible.

Thanks!
-C

UPDATE! Soft top has been installed. I thought it was going to take us hours after being quoted out 5 hours for professionals to do it. Taking off the hard top was about 15-20 minutes, easy, I've done it on my JK many times, but same process with the JL. Only bad thing, my BF who hasn't done it, lifted the rear of the hard top and broke one of the nubbins on the bottom of the hard top. Sigh. I can't get too mad at him as he pretty much did most of the grunt work on the soft top install.

Well, not know how to put together a 2 door Mopar soft top and parts, the instructions were easy and it took us an hour, and this includes dealing with a internal screw that popped out of the door bracket and we had to glue it back in to fix it. I'm digging the new slides and the large rear side windows on this soft top.

We then took off the doors and away we went to enjoy a sunny day in Phoenix. Just in time for our 90+ degree weather, lol.

Sponsored

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Congrats! My favorite mode to drive in is just the top up and doors off, no sides.

Jameskubisky

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hi All,

Thanks!
-C
when I installed a replacement soft top using the existing hardware it took a long time. I upgraded from the stock top to a sun rider best top. It took a few hours and that was with the existing hardware that was already on.
One option is to ask a friend that is handy who is good at following instructions. That’s the cheapest option.
Sponsored