WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Ah, I couldn't tell from the video
no worries, the fenders give it away. But it was an easy bypass, just bypass the park override and that's how they pushed it

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
This happened in San Diego, where I live. I remember a couple of years ago they uncovered a theft ring that stole 150+ jeeps out of the Socal area. They arrested and indicted several people. They would use handheld electronic devices and stolen codes to make duplicate keys and disable security systems on the Jeeps. The jeeps were taken and transported south of the border to Tijuana where they were sold or stripped for parts. Hopefully it's not the same ring.

I have the bolt lock on my hood but wondering what additional precautions we can take to avoid getting our Jeeps stolen like the one in the video. Any thoughts?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This happened in San Diego, where I live. I remember a couple of years ago they uncovered a theft ring that stole 150+ jeeps out of the Socal area. They arrested and indicted several people. They would use handheld electronic devices and stolen codes to make duplicate keys and disable security systems on the Jeeps. The jeeps were taken and transported south of the border to Tijuana where they were sold or stripped for parts. Hopefully it's not the same ring.

I have the bolt lock on my hood but wondering what additional precautions we can take to avoid getting our Jeeps stolen like the one in the video. Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, the Bolt hood lock can be defeated in lets then say lets 7 mins. by drilling on it..

You can enable hood alarm on a stock JL/JLU/JT with a Tazer JL Mini.

IF they want your JL... if it is in their sights, they are going to get it!

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Unfortunately, the Bolt hood lock can be defeated in lets then say lets 7 mins. by drilling on it..

You can enable hood alarm on a stock JL/JLU/JT with a Tazer JL Mini.

I agree about Bolt lock and everything else! What about pedal locks? Same shit as bolt hood lock?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Park it in a locked garage every night.

I don't say that to call out those who can't do so (there was I time when I couldn't, either.) It is true, though, that keeping one's vehicle out of sight, and/or reasonably inaccessible, goes a long way in protecting it from theft.

A motion-sensitive security camera, like the Ring device, and certainly good insurance coverage, are other things to have in our toolbox.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a cure for thieves .....

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
^ This.

I pay my insurance premium on time and that’s all the peace of mind I need.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
A motion-sensitive security camera,
While I agree with the majority of your post, “Wi-Fi only” camera systems are not advised. The Ring camera in the footage above was able to capture the crime in progress but it’s incredibly difficult to ID a suspect as details are missing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The Ring camera in the footage above was able to capture the crime in progress but it’s incredibly difficult to ID a suspect as details are missing.
That was a function of where the homeowner mounted the camera, vis-a-vis its distance to the parked Jeep.

The Ring camera on the front of my house, for example, captures every whisker on the neighborhood cat that visits for the bowl of food that we leave out for it. An exaggeration, yes, but only a mild one. The 1080p detail is impressive. The visitor with bad intent who activates our Ring's sensor will be clearly seen on the accompanying video. It's not by accident that this brand of WiFi camera owns the market right now.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep (JK) Theft Caught on Security Video 300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine

Strap on front rear and both sides.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
That was a function of where the homeowner mounted the camera, vis-a-vis its distance to the parked Jeep.
You are correct. And to be fair, it looks like the camera belongs to neighbor and is not the victim’s.
The Ring camera on the front of my house, for example, captures every whisker on the neighborhood cat that visits for the bowl of food that we leave out for it. An exaggeration, yes, but only a mild one. The 1080p detail is impressive.
I have a smart doorbell and agree that the smart doorbell can be useful.

But I also have a local, professional camera system that connects to a secured NVR and is geofenced to alert me in real time the moment someone crosses predefined boundaries. These cameras are always on, always recording, can see well in the night in color and are 4K.

Here’s a 30 second demo of the footage from the company who’s system I own:

The visitor with bad intent who activates our Ring's sensor will be clearly seen on the accompanying video. It's not by accident that this brand of WiFi camera owns the market right now.
The Ring system is popular because it’s relatively inexpensive and easy to setup, provided that the home has good internet speeds in from the service provider and decent Wi-Fi distribution. Plus, most people aren’t interested in knowing that there’s better out there than what they have.

That being said, any Wi-Fi based security system has several security flaws, some of which a skilled thief could easily exploit to become invisible to the Wi-Fi based security system. And you.
Sponsored