SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I was off on my sqft for sure.

What do you think of the system that follow the sun for better output. Worth the $$?
Sample of my field.
962020.JPG
tracker systems are too costly. i don’t know what your total system size is but that really low production do you have shade issues?

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
In the middle of PNW fire's. I have about .5 mile visibility where I'm at....... sure hope they get the fires out soon. My peak months are March - June.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
  1. Needs to pass safety tests, crush zones are compromised
  2. it will take a huge CAFE hit to the fleet.
  3. the upcoming inline six is supposed to make as much power as the 5.7L, more efficiently.
  4. The hybrid offers better overall mileage, efficiency and power.

I’m not sure it will go into production. It feels like a step backwards if it does.
If people really cared about mileage or efficiency, they wouldn’t buy f’n Wranglers at all. As for Cafe, the ED and plug-in hybrid are what enable the 392 Wrangler (and hopefully Gladiator).

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
My best days are in the 150-160 KWH / day. Winters ( Nov-Jan) 400-600 KWH/MONTH lol
I'm on the east side of the state, Wind does really good here too. I'm on hillside land, so great to hide the field on the ground.

Sponsored

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
the leading edge of residential size panels is around 370w and each panel is about 16ft2

5kW of solar offsets one full charge per day depending on sun hours per year. If you’re north of Oklahoma, 6kW works, in the sun belt, 4kW works.
if I was Jeep I’d build 30kW arrays and have about 150kWhs of storage along with three chargers.
that turns into about 1300ft2

I’ve done solar for almost 15 years now.
Thanks. If I’m following along correctly, this system would handle roughly 6 full charges per day. So about 220 sqft / Jeep / day?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
the leading edge of residential size panels is around 370w and each panel is about 16ft2

5kW of solar offsets one full charge per day depending on sun hours per year. If you’re north of Oklahoma, 6kW works, in the sun belt, 4kW works.
if I was Jeep I’d build 30kW arrays and have about 150kWhs of storage along with three chargers.
that turns into about 1300ft2

I’ve done solar for almost 15 years now.
I thank you for bringing some real knowledge to this conversation. I think that your calculations are pretty accurate for Moab, but I think that there would be less need overall at the Rubicon. I just can't imagine 6 4xE Wranglers going on that trail every day.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Speed is the enemy of electric vehicle efficiency. On the Rubicon and Moab trails you crawl, as I'm sure you know. My Prius gets 70 MPG on drives into Los Angeles on freeways choked with bumper to bumper traffic. But on high speed runs up Hwy 5 where you run 90 mph or more...
There's a highway in California where the official posted speed limit is 90mph?

T_square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Haven't read much about regenerative braking or run the Rubicon trail have you?
Well considering I daily a JL and an i3 (an EV w/ modular regen braking) I think I have a little bit of experience in both subjects.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well considering I daily a JL and an i3 (an EV w/ modular regen braking) I think I have a little bit of experience in both subjects.
Then you should know that there is a minimum speed for regenerative braking to work, and that those speeds will not be reached on the Rubicon trail.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Then you should know that there is a minimum speed for regenerative braking to work, and that those speeds will not be reached on the Rubicon trail.
It can all be scienced. The force of the Jeep, momentum and gravity, is the max force available to be recaptured. Take away the efficiency losses of the method of recapture, and the conversion back to DC, and the method of storing in the battery, and there's only so much juice you can ever hope to push back into that battery.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I doubt land based heavy equipment is going to be an option for even getting the charging stations set up.
Gas company groomed Cliffhanger on Amasa Back a few years back to bury gas pipe and make trail passable for heavy equipment. Returned trail to Jeep status when finished. Power company did the same for Iron Chest out of St. Elmo. Moved all the boulders then replaced 'em. Hats off to those guys! Charging stations are no big deal. ICE is on its way out. Give it 10 years max.
Sponsored