First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Going to have to be a shopping-mall sized outhouse to generate any meaningful power
That's quite an exaggeration. Using a battery system and level 2 charger using micro inverters it would not need a large array. I would say that 6 panels is likely overkill for a single station.
"Home solar panel price calculator: find rebates and get a quick price estimate – The Solar Nerd" https://www.thesolarnerd.com/calculator/
This is a basic calculator for estimating household use, but can be used to easily scale down.

Sponsored

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't appear that the calculator that was linked will allow you to run the math starting with the number of panels, I'm sure there are other calculators that will. So I ran the numbers starting with the number of panels needed for one Jeep per day. Here we go:

1 Jeep x 17 kWh each = 17 kWh / day. 30 days / month = 510 kWh per month.

I used zip code 96150, south facing panels, medium incline, and little shade.

Result = 10 to 15 panels. Multiply from here based on how many Jeeps you want to charge per day.

*this doesn't account for inefficiencies and assumes a full charge on each Jeep

Last edited:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
As for being an eyesore, some of those trails are an eyesore by themselves with all the erosion and destruction caused by the 4x4s. That’s okay if it’s kept in a reasonably contained area. Everyone deserves their playground.
I think an eyesore would be a noisy diesel tuned to produce copious amounts of black smoke. Luckily Jeeps don't come in d... aw crap. But at least people don't mod jeeps to make a lot of noise and produce copious amounts of black smoke yet! :)

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
As reported by CNET Roadshow

Off-Road Trail Solar Chargers 2021-Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-2048x1270.jpg

Jeep will build solar charging stations on trails for the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid

Jeep is going to make it easier to juice up your plug-in hybrid Wrangler while out in the wild.

September 4, 2020

Jim Morrison, head of Jeep in North America, dropped a pretty cool bit of news in an interview Thursday. To coincide with the launch of the plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe, the company will install solar charging stations on select trails in California and Utah. Morrison confirmed that owners will be able to charge up at Rubicon Springs, the halfway point of the 22-mile Rubicon Trail, as well as on select trails in Moab, Utah.

Of course, with 25 miles of electric range, the Wrangler 4xe shouldn't need a charge while on the Rubicon, and I imagine all the braking one has to do will keep the regenerative power going strong. In fact, Morrison said the 4xe completed the Rubicon in all-electric mode with no problems. But it's always good to wheel with as much fuel -- or electrons -- as possible, since you never know what will happen.

Drivers will be able to fully charge the Wrangler 4xe in about 2 hours, and most chargers will be placed in camping or lunch spots where folks will likely want to spend a lot of time.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower and a whopping 470 pound-feet of torque. In the aptly named Rubicon trim, the 4xe is 744 pounds heavier than a standard gas-powered Wrangler, but it should still outperform its conventional counterpart with all that sweet, sweet instant electric torque.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will go on sale later this year.
next will be gas station, McDonalds and nail polish place

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It's a big ugly solar farm/charging station to look at.
Do you know that? I’ve not seen the specifications. Seems like far less long term damage compared to a Potential fuel leak from a storage tank. Also...far less noise pollution if able to run in EV mode. Gasoline is not going away but why not keep an open mind about future technology and fueling options.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Considerably less to install and maintain than coal is just in maintenance. Solar costs are approaching that of methane (natural gas) for cost and maintenance now.
Sponsored