Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For the Rubicon trail I would hope that they will only place the charging points at the entrance and exit areas. I can't imagine any other way to do it without altering the trail. For Moab it's such a massive network of trails that I don't know how they would plan on doing it. Maybe a charging location in town. As for blending them in, it was suggested to have a latrine available, the roof of the building is the best way to hide the panels. And it would allow for a large battery system to build a reserve. You are still stuck with looking at a building, but that is at least a functional building even for people who don't have an electric vehicle.
Going to have to be a shopping-mall sized outhouse to generate any meaningful power

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They should put it somewhere it can be used as a winching point, more useful.
Alternatively...

Mount winches on the periodically spaced solar powered outhouses and you can use EV power (the winches) to drag your ICE powered vehicles of ANY make and model across the RUBICON without burning a DROP of fossil fuel!!!

Sponsored

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Why stop with solar charging stations? Why not just pave the trails so more vehicles can make it?

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest ideas to come about. If your vehicle can't make it across the Rubicon or other trails without additional infrastructure then its not really an off road vehicle is it? How does it even deserve a "Trail Rated' badge if it can't complete the Rubicon trail without additional infrastructure.

Just say NO to adding charging stations to these trails. There are already plenty of trails available with charging stations for this type of vehicle. They are called roads!!!

Fikestrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee KL
I’ve never seen so many people who are against the possibility of something new and different. maybe it will be cool. the fact that they have already wheeled the PHEV for 25 miles is absolutely amazing.

As for being an eyesore, some of those trails are an eyesore by themselves with all the erosion and destruction caused by the 4x4s. That’s okay if it’s kept in a reasonably contained area. Everyone deserves their playground.

having a few solar panels to let people use electric power to be more eco friendly seems a small price to pay for the off-roading hobby to be cleaner and to move forward as an eco-friendly activity.

I think it’s awesome that Jeep is trying something new and leading the charge towards eco-friendly off-roading.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That "erosion and destruction" (as you characterized it) isn't caused by vehicle emissions and your pipe dream of PHEVs making offroading 'eco-friendly' just shows an absolute disconnect in your mindset.
Including a disconnect from the real and negative impact of electrification. I’m not against it but I find it sad that the social pressure is enormous to only tout the “good” rather than have an honest conversation.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
There are environmental impacts to all construction and this is PUBLIC land, not private. ....
Rubicon Springs is PRIVATE land, therefore, it would not require environmental clearance. It would only require a building permit from Eldorado county. Getting supplies to the site would not be a problem, there is already a helipad there that is used to bring in supplies for Jeep Jamborees.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Gosh, who could've predicted most of these responses?
Me and a few others around here probably. I think it’s just part of the process, having controversy due to differing viewpoints.
Sponsored