Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

As reported by CNET Roadshow

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Is Installing Solar Chargers at Moab And Rubicon Trail For New Hybrid Wrangler 4xe Off-Road Trail Solar Chargers 2021-Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-2048x1270

Jeep will build solar charging stations on trails for the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid

Jeep is going to make it easier to juice up your plug-in hybrid Wrangler while out in the wild.

September 4, 2020

Jim Morrison, head of Jeep in North America, dropped a pretty cool bit of news in an interview Thursday. To coincide with the launch of the plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe, the company will install solar charging stations on select trails in California and Utah. Morrison confirmed that owners will be able to charge up at Rubicon Springs, the halfway point of the 22-mile Rubicon Trail, as well as on select trails in Moab, Utah.

Of course, with 25 miles of electric range, the Wrangler 4xe shouldn't need a charge while on the Rubicon, and I imagine all the braking one has to do will keep the regenerative power going strong. In fact, Morrison said the 4xe completed the Rubicon in all-electric mode with no problems. But it's always good to wheel with as much fuel -- or electrons -- as possible, since you never know what will happen.

Drivers will be able to fully charge the Wrangler 4xe in about 2 hours, and most chargers will be placed in camping or lunch spots where folks will likely want to spend a lot of time.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower and a whopping 470 pound-feet of torque. In the aptly named Rubicon trim, the 4xe is 744 pounds heavier than a standard gas-powered Wrangler, but it should still outperform its conventional counterpart with all that sweet, sweet instant electric torque.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will go on sale later this year.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s really cool!

But how long are those chargers going to last out there in the middle of nowhere before they get vandalized, stolen... or destroyed by the elements...?

Also, they better build an outhouse right next to the charger so that you have something to do while you wait for your PHEV to charge.

Discharge station
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Is Installing Solar Chargers at Moab And Rubicon Trail For New Hybrid Wrangler 4xe 1599576340948

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
With an extra 744 ibs, I wonder if it's going to fall into the category of a commercial weight vehicle? That's what happen to the Avalanche (because of its weight), out here in Cali. The dealership never said anything, you only found out when the next yr. registration came up. It was like an extra 120.00 a yr. added on your registration, because of the weight! I know, it was probably only in Cali..... Go figure!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So everyone saying, the rubicon trail is 22 miles and the jeep has 25 e range, si it should be fine. Isnt the 25 e range for highway driving? off roading wouldnt it be like 5? lol. I know I go through gas like I am driving a 1970 mustang when off roading.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
So everyone saying, the rubicon trail is 22 miles and the jeep has 25 e range, si it should be fine. Isnt the 25 e range for highway driving? off roading wouldnt it be like 5? lol. I know I go through gas like I am driving a 1970 mustang when off roading.
Speed is the enemy of electric vehicle efficiency. On the Rubicon and Moab trails you crawl, as I'm sure you know. My Prius gets 70 MPG on drives into Los Angeles on freeways choked with bumper to bumper traffic. But on high speed runs up Hwy 5 where you run 90 mph or more it drops into the high 30's. The article says they were able to run the 22 mile long Rubicon trail totally in electric mode. But since I take both my car and my Jeep on long trips I want to know what the gas-only mpg is with the added 700+ pounds the 4xe is carrying. There has to be a big hit there.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I have to admit that while this is very cool, it is of no use to me.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I'm not so sure this is a great idea. I mean, you don't see gas stations out on the trail. Are we going to give preferential treatment based on drive type? What about the ecological impact of putting a charging station out there?
???? No impact...it’s solar. There is no harmful oil product in solar...

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm not so sure this is a great idea. I mean, you don't see gas stations out on the trail. Are we going to give preferential treatment based on drive type? What about the ecological impact of putting a charging station out there?
It is a solar station. How do you get gas to a gas station?