Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
???? No impact...it’s solar. There is no harmful oil product in solar...
Ummm....you do understand that foundations have to be laid, contractors have to bring in heavy equipment, hydrology studies have to be done regarding the run off from the roof and foundation of the structure, etc., etc., right?

There are environmental impacts to all construction and this is PUBLIC land, not private. An in depth evaluation will have to be conducted and I'm not convinced the preferential treatment of one user group justifies the *expense or the eyesore.

*The article is unclear as to if Jeep is paying for ALL of the expenses.

Advertisement

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
It is a solar station. How do you get gas to a gas station?
See other post since people's thinkers don't seem to be engaged this morning.

Rufus

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Maybe they need to Nissan Leaves it alone?
LOL because it’s meant for people with electric Wranglers to charge their batteries. Good point though, people will find other uses and probably upset those needing a charge.
Isn’t it a proprietary interface?

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
See other post since people's thinkers don't seem to be engaged this morning.
I used to work in solar. I doubt these charging stations would require nearly as much effort as building and maintaining a gas station. Not to mention the constant delivery of gas to the middle of "nowhere". Of course there are costs associated with it and impact, and maintenance, etc... there's no free lunch. But you simply can't compare this to a gas station.....

I would like to see how these stations look, and where they will be located. Because you make a very good point about it possibly being an "eye-sore".

I like the concept though and where jeep is pushing towards, it is the future whether we like it or not. That V8 Jeep? not happening.

xray

First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am thinking they are prepping for the true EV debut.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
One thing I am actually interested in finding out are the axles and the suspension these e jeeps will come with, and the brakes. Rubicon take offs are probably going to give a pretty decent lift considering this thing is 700lbs heavier. And considering the current JLU payload is about 1,000 lbs.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to work in solar. I doubt these charging stations would require nearly as much effort as building and maintaining a gas station. Not to mention the constant delivery of gas to the middle of "nowhere". Of course there are costs associated with it and impact, and maintenance, etc... there's no free lunch. But you simply can't compare this to a gas station.....

I would like to see how these stations look, and where they will be located. Because you make a very good point about it possibly being an "eye-sore".

I like the concept though and where jeep is pushing towards, it is the future whether we like it or not. That V8 Jeep? not happening.
I never said they were direct comparisons....but an EI study has to be done on public land most anytime such construction is slated.

What is a direct comparison is the fact that one user group is being favored above another; which is why I brought up the gas station in the first place.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I am actually interested in finding out are the axles and the suspension these e jeeps will come with, and the brakes. Rubicon take offs are probably going to give a pretty decent lift considering this thing is 700lbs heavier. And considering the current JLU payload is about 1,000 lbs.
From the pics I saw...looks to be the same axles....but they've got a big battery pack in the back as well as a motor drive section midship. I'll see if I can find the pic.......

1599587510481.png

Okay....so I was wrong about the motor drive section..........

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Speed is the enemy of electric vehicle efficiency. On the Rubicon and Moab trails you crawl, as I'm sure you know. My Prius gets 70 MPG on drives into Los Angeles on freeways choked with bumper to bumper traffic. But on high speed runs up Hwy 5 where you run 90 mph or more it drops into the high 30's. The article says they were able to run the 22 mile long Rubicon trail totally in electric mode. But since I take both my car and my Jeep on long trips I want to know what the gas-only mpg is with the added 700+ pounds the 4xe is carrying. There has to be a big hit there.
90 mph + in a 70-75 zone on crappy often congested CA freeways? I think the majority of readers and local FRWY users would say that is being an irresponsible driver that cares little for the safety of others using the 5 FRWY and who more closely follow the posted limits. 75-80 in light traffic (whenever that is) sure, but 90+?

When you eventually get stopped by the CHP I hope you are polite to the officer and accept your expensive ticket graciously. That is unless you have a get “out of ticket free card“.....

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 mph + in a 70-75 zone on crappy often congested CA freeways? I think the majority of readers and local FRWY users would say that is being an irresponsible driver that cares little for the safety of others using the 5 FRWY and who more closely follow the posted limits. 75-80 in light traffic (whenever that is) sure, but 90+?

When you eventually get stopped by the CHP I hope you are polite to the officer and accept your expensive ticket graciously. That is unless you have a get “out of ticket free card“.....
Meh...90 is pretty common here. Safety is relative to conditions (as you noted). Besides, potential isn't the same as actualization.

Last edited:

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much acreage must be covered in solar panels to provide a usable amount of energy for charging?
Based on a charge rate of 2 hours as stated, I'd say quite a bit....especially if charging multiple vehicles at once.

Moab might not be that big of an issue (depending on the trail)....but the Rubicon could be a problem depending on how invasive the construction crews end up being. Getting heavy equipment to the build site on the Rubicon (assuming it's as stated at a lunch/rest/picnic/camping area on the trail itself) could well require grading the trail itself to get the equipment in....thereby negating the reason people do the trail in the first place; the challenge.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Meh...90 is pretty common here. Safety is relative to conditions (as you noted). Besides, potential isn't the same as actualization.
I live in SoCal and drive the 5 frwy often, sorry but 90+ MPH is simply irresponsible at any time of day or night. CVC 22350 “unsafe speed for prevailing conditions” only applies up to the posted speed limit. But then I think you know this. Lots of engineering goes into road speed limits vs optimal driving conditions. No CA public road is rated for safe operation by individual citizens above 80MPH. Which happens to be the threshold limit that the CHP uses to start writing the majority of frwy tickets.

I suspect you have a “get out of ticket free card” in your wallet aka LEO, Fire or other city /state issued one and if so, shame on you for misusing that privilege when not on duty and endangering others on the roadways.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist

Lol I know right? I rarely go over 70 mph. People here are insane. I don't know what you get out of driving 90 mph in a congested freeway. A ticket to the morgue perhaps.

Yeah it is common. It is a nightmare to drive around here with all of these selfish people. 90 mph is not safe. anywhere. If you are alone that's your issue, but sharing roads with thousands of people it is just selfish. The "conditions" never dictate it is safe to drive at 90 mph.

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement