Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Ummm....you do understand that foundations have to be laid, contractors have to bring in heavy equipment, hydrology studies have to be done regarding the run off from the roof and foundation of the structure, etc., etc., right?

There are environmental impacts to all construction and this is PUBLIC land, not private. An in depth evaluation will have to be conducted and I'm not convinced the preferential treatment of one user group justifies the *expense or the eyesore.

*The article is unclear as to if Jeep is paying for ALL of the expenses.
I agree - Having a solar house and battery car is great. I don't want to see a huge array of panels anywhere near the trails.
Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Why not park your body in a life support capsule and plug in to a pristine virtual world!
and build it all out of plastic so we don't have to mow our yards anymore.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
I thought they'd said it takes 10-12 hrs to charge the battery? Says 2 in the article. Because different charger?
It will be at Rubicon Springs where most people camp their second night. The 10-12 hour time would be on house current. I'm sure this would be the fast charger on 220/240 volt.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
I agree - Having a solar house and battery car is great. I don't want to see a huge array of panels anywhere near the trails.
Rubicon Springs is privately owned. It's where the old hotel once stood and there are already private cabins, and other structures associated with Jeep Jamboree. They helicopter in a grand piano even.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
90 mph + in a 70-75 zone on crappy often congested CA freeways? I think the majority of readers and local FRWY users would say that is being an irresponsible driver that cares little for the safety of others using the 5 FRWY and who more closely follow the posted limits. 75-80 in light traffic (whenever that is) sure, but 90+?

When you eventually get stopped by the CHP I hope you are polite to the officer and accept your expensive ticket graciously. That is unless you have a get “out of ticket free card“.....
On the more remote parts of I-5 the trucks are going 80 and the cars are all doing 90 or more. It's not SoCal.

Sponsored

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Great so now we are going to litter the great outdoors with these chargers. Please stop the madness.
It will be where the old hotel was located when this was a stagecoach road. At Rubicon Springs where they hold the Jeep Jamboree. There are already structures there, a big dance floor, etc. My guess is it will help support the Jeep Jamborees and reduce dependence on generators during the event. And it is private land owned by a large group of Jeepers.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
Knowing that the Springs cabins are still privately owned, I would be ok with putting PV panels on the roofs of the cabins. For some reason I thought they were now public land trust. The tree hugger in me wants a 4Xe, but I really really like the current JLU sitting in the studio. For now I bought a new Axial 1/24 Jeep Crawler so that will be my electrical contribution to the community for the month. Anyone know where to buy Sting-Grey paint?

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
Speed is the enemy of electric vehicle efficiency. On the Rubicon and Moab trails you crawl, as I'm sure you know. My Prius gets 70 MPG on drives into Los Angeles on freeways choked with bumper to bumper traffic. But on high speed runs up Hwy 5 where you run 90 mph or more it drops into the high 30's. The article says they were able to run the 22 mile long Rubicon trail totally in electric mode. But since I take both my car and my Jeep on long trips I want to know what the gas-only mpg is with the added 700+ pounds the 4xe is carrying. There has to be a big hit there.
Right on! Speed is the big drain. My current EV has a real short range. But during some experiments where I drive at low speeds and regen as much as I can, I can get about 30% more range. I've never tried a super low speed like on a trail but I would imagine it can get a little better.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So is Jeep going to partner up and add 800v superchargers for the hummers that are going to be attempting the Rubicon next?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I wish the charging port was not placed on the cowl where many a roof rack attaches.
Sponsored