Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
On a breezy day, I can realize about 400-450 KWH/day from my wind installation. Today is not a breezy day. Production is near zero today. Average KWH/day is probably around 17 KWH/day.
My best days are in the 150-160 KWH / day. Winters ( Nov-Jan) 400-600 KWH/MONTH lol
I'm on the east side of the state, Wind does really good here too. I'm on hillside land, so great to hide the field on the ground.

Advertisement

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid

RubiTuesday

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
the leading edge of residential size panels is around 370w and each panel is about 16ft2

5kW of solar offsets one full charge per day depending on sun hours per year. If you’re north of Oklahoma, 6kW works, in the sun belt, 4kW works.
if I was Jeep I’d build 30kW arrays and have about 150kWhs of storage along with three chargers.
that turns into about 1300ft2

I’ve done solar for almost 15 years now.
Thanks. If I’m following along correctly, this system would handle roughly 6 full charges per day. So about 220 sqft / Jeep / day?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
the leading edge of residential size panels is around 370w and each panel is about 16ft2

5kW of solar offsets one full charge per day depending on sun hours per year. If you’re north of Oklahoma, 6kW works, in the sun belt, 4kW works.
if I was Jeep I’d build 30kW arrays and have about 150kWhs of storage along with three chargers.
that turns into about 1300ft2

I’ve done solar for almost 15 years now.
I thank you for bringing some real knowledge to this conversation. I think that your calculations are pretty accurate for Moab, but I think that there would be less need overall at the Rubicon. I just can't imagine 6 4xE Wranglers going on that trail every day.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Speed is the enemy of electric vehicle efficiency. On the Rubicon and Moab trails you crawl, as I'm sure you know. My Prius gets 70 MPG on drives into Los Angeles on freeways choked with bumper to bumper traffic. But on high speed runs up Hwy 5 where you run 90 mph or more...
There's a highway in California where the official posted speed limit is 90mph?

T_square

First Name
Tyson
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Haven't read much about regenerative braking or run the Rubicon trail have you?
Well considering I daily a JL and an i3 (an EV w/ modular regen braking) I think I have a little bit of experience in both subjects.

JimLee

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well considering I daily a JL and an i3 (an EV w/ modular regen braking) I think I have a little bit of experience in both subjects.
Then you should know that there is a minimum speed for regenerative braking to work, and that those speeds will not be reached on the Rubicon trail.

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Then you should know that there is a minimum speed for regenerative braking to work, and that those speeds will not be reached on the Rubicon trail.
It can all be scienced. The force of the Jeep, momentum and gravity, is the max force available to be recaptured. Take away the efficiency losses of the method of recapture, and the conversion back to DC, and the method of storing in the battery, and there's only so much juice you can ever hope to push back into that battery.

HardSell

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I doubt land based heavy equipment is going to be an option for even getting the charging stations set up.
Gas company groomed Cliffhanger on Amasa Back a few years back to bury gas pipe and make trail passable for heavy equipment. Returned trail to Jeep status when finished. Power company did the same for Iron Chest out of St. Elmo. Moved all the boulders then replaced 'em. Hats off to those guys! Charging stations are no big deal. ICE is on its way out. Give it 10 years max.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Aesthetically the last thing I want to see in the great outdoors is charging stations everywhere.
I agree - just a few More years of battery development and it won’t be an issue. Just need to bridge with transitional technology. Those solar stations will be simple to build and later remove....

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree - just a few More years of battery development and it won’t be an issue. Just need to bridge with transitional technology. Those solar stations will be simple to build and later remove....
Long range light weight batteries are in the same category as that 80 mpg carburetor...

Advertisement

Advertisement