Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Aesthetically the last thing I want to see in the great outdoors is charging stations everywhere.
I agree - just a few More years of battery development and it won’t be an issue. Just need to bridge with transitional technology. Those solar stations will be simple to build and later remove....

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I agree - just a few More years of battery development and it won’t be an issue. Just need to bridge with transitional technology. Those solar stations will be simple to build and later remove....
Long range light weight batteries are in the same category as that 80 mpg carburetor...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I find it sad that the social pressure is enormous to only tout the “good” rather than have an honest conversation.
Sad indeed! It happens every time a decision is put forth that concerns anything larger than phone holders or floor mats.

Every thread about 2.0 vs 3.6 and now gas vs diesel, can't make it past the first page before losing all credibility and usefulness to the OP. They started the thread as an admission to not knowing enough to make a sound and informed decision. Furthermore, think about the countless others that unknowingly based their decision on grossly tainted information, after putting their faith in that thread.

Quick analogy. You don't want to pay a plumber to fix a leaking pipe in your home. You've qued some diy youtube videos, featuring a likeable personality, and now it's off to home depot for supplies. Would you rather the advice of a retired professional, or of a person restocking random shelves that happened to be in the plumbing section?

Those above mentioned threads are overrun with responses made by those who aren't qualified or experienced enough to be posting at all. But they do anyway, while failing to admit the fact that they are clueless in the matter. Unfortunately, only the small percentage of members here, who actually do have said qualifications and experience, can easily see who's who by simply reading the responses. As time passes, so does our inclination to chime in to help. It's because the incentive to help gets burnt out in arguing with the type of person that thinks they know everything, but really doesn't and can't/won't admit it. This false sense of damaged pride both limits themself, and robs the poor OP of getting proper info and even knowing they were robbed of it.

Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
As reported by CNET Roadshow

Off-Road Trail Solar Chargers 2021-Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-2048x1270.jpg

Jeep will build solar charging stations on trails for the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid

Jeep is going to make it easier to juice up your plug-in hybrid Wrangler while out in the wild.

September 4, 2020

Jim Morrison, head of Jeep in North America, dropped a pretty cool bit of news in an interview Thursday. To coincide with the launch of the plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe, the company will install solar charging stations on select trails in California and Utah. Morrison confirmed that owners will be able to charge up at Rubicon Springs, the halfway point of the 22-mile Rubicon Trail, as well as on select trails in Moab, Utah.

Of course, with 25 miles of electric range, the Wrangler 4xe shouldn't need a charge while on the Rubicon, and I imagine all the braking one has to do will keep the regenerative power going strong. In fact, Morrison said the 4xe completed the Rubicon in all-electric mode with no problems. But it's always good to wheel with as much fuel -- or electrons -- as possible, since you never know what will happen.

Drivers will be able to fully charge the Wrangler 4xe in about 2 hours, and most chargers will be placed in camping or lunch spots where folks will likely want to spend a lot of time.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower and a whopping 470 pound-feet of torque. In the aptly named Rubicon trim, the 4xe is 744 pounds heavier than a standard gas-powered Wrangler, but it should still outperform its conventional counterpart with all that sweet, sweet instant electric torque.

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will go on sale later this year.
Meh....

Having owned a couple of Chevy Volts and several Jeeps to include the 2.0T with eTorque and being a right wing tree hugger, this is a very interesting Jeep. One thing is clear. The CNET Roadshow writer isn't a electric/hybrid owner.

1. The 25 mile range is in a perfect world. I bet it won't do 15 miles of the Rubicon with out an electric top off. Zero emissions very cool but....
2. What trees will they clear to make a solar farm big enough to recharge?
or will they run wires in. As a #RWTH either way isn't cool.
3. As I said in previous posts, I like the Turbocharged motor at altitude. I'll like electric for the same reason.

The new Hybrid Jeep is another Example of Fiat gentrification of the Wrangler, which I don't mind so much. The new roll bar? not a fan, I like the JK round roll bar look more than my JL squarish plastic covered roll bars. There is something genuine about a round roll bar. I have them in my race car and old jeeps. That said, I like the new quieter roof, roof rack position and ability to remove freedom tops with rack on of the JL. The better subwoofer position makes the back more usable in the JL too, but the pre-JK had it there too so.... Some good gentrification, some bad.

As a #RWTH I am not a fan of cutting down trees to set up solar panels or run wires long distances for a charger. The Rubicon is great, and our goal as Jeepers should be to keep it that way for the next generation. I have solar on my home and a home charger. I like seeing Catalina and the Mountains every day, not just on big Santa Ana wind days like when I was a kid. Smog sucks, oil on the beach, ditto.

Since the 2.0t is also my favorite daily driver, I would probably do well with a Hybrid 2.0T. Anyone know how to over ride the trans safety so I can creep into a tight spot with the door open without auto shifting to park? I digress.

I do like the idea of starting with some electric or "hyper miling" challenge. Who can use the least fuel on the Rubicon or the MOAB by proper use of electric being selected on or off. Regen braking doesn't quite work as well on the Rubicon as it does gliding down the Grapevine.

I haven't done MOAB (yet). With the Gen2 Volt I could routinely do 70+ MPH and achieve 60+ miles of range and 50+ MPG on gas by switching from Gas to Electric when each was most efficient. (Hold mode hack) Could that be done as a Rubicon eco-challenge?

With any luck, Jeep® will send #cooltoystv an eDiesel and a Hybrid to test head to head against Josh's droopy butt Taco. It is a tough thing to bring a Wrangler into the eco world and let it keeps it's identity. Just ask Land Rover about the defender.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Since 2007, the Wrangler brand has been writhing around like a headless snake. Rather than sticking with a proven chassis, developing that chassis as technology evolves, Wrangler just keeps adding and deleting trim levels and drive trains. 2 years for the LJ, then 4 years for the 3.8 JK, seven for the JK 3.6L; now the too-wide-for-some shelf/slot trails JL 2.0 & 3.6. ESS then no ESS; Turbo Boost then no Turbo Boost; eTorque, then no eTorque; three wheelbases; soon the PHEV and possibly a Hemi. Since the TJ and despite a lot of time passing by, none seem to quite hit the mark as the just right Wrangler. Too many non wheeling wannabe execs in the non American, sold out to, Fiat kitchen. Lets consider the JT: departure angle is horrible! Wheel base is closer to a motorhome than an athletic off road pickup. The 5' bed is anemic for hauling. When a flat happens, try digging a 37" spare from under the bed in 8" of mud or in 10" of sand or snow! The Euro execs ignored a 2 door Wrangler pickup on the available JLU chassis with spare located well off the ground on a strong swing down tailgate which can lengthen the bed to 8 feet and give a useful haul/work/sleep/table surface like every other standard pickup in creation. The design betrays the fact that these Fiat/Chrysler Euro people never did an honest day's labor or wheeling in their lives. Then, there's the $40,000 Wrangler premium for a convertible kind-of pickup.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Since 2007, the Wrangler brand has been writhing around like a headless snake. Rather than sticking with a proven chassis, developing that chassis as technology evolves, Wrangler just keeps adding and deleting trim levels and drive trains. 2 years for the LJ, then 4 years for the 3.8 JK, seven for the JK 3.6L; now the too-wide-for-some shelf/slot trails JL 2.0 & 3.6. ESS then no ESS; Turbo Boost then no Turbo Boost; eTorque, then no eTorque; three wheelbases; soon the PHEV and possibly a Hemi. Since the TJ and despite a lot of time passing by, none seem to quite hit the mark as the just right Wrangler. Too many non wheeling wannabe execs in the non American, sold out to, Fiat kitchen. Lets consider the JT: departure angle is horrible! Wheel base is closer to a motorhome than an athletic off road pickup. The 5' bed is anemic for hauling. When a flat happens, try digging a 37" spare from under the bed in 8" of mud or in 10" of sand or snow! The Euro execs ignored a 2 door Wrangler pickup on the available JLU chassis with spare located well off the ground on a strong swing down tailgate which can lengthen the bed to 8 feet and give a useful haul/work/sleep/table surface like every other standard pickup in creation. The design betrays the fact that these Fiat/Chrysler Euro people never did an honest day's labor or wheeling in their lives. Then, there's the $40,000 Wrangler premium for a convertible kind-of pickup.
I will take a contrary opinion. The JL is the best Jeep ever and an engineering marvel for the level of poise and streetabilty it possesses along with its off road prowess

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Most of what he said was specific to JT though.
I will have to agree on the JT. Rear door shape was a huge fail. They could have cut 6" out of the wheelbase and rear compartment and it would have been just fine. 6'+ backseat passengers don't need to be able to stretch their legs. The 5' bed doesn't really bother me as most 1/2 tons have the same useless bed size, and no one is buying the JT to use as a truck anyway.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
no one is buying the JT to use as a truck anyway.
And yet it's promoted as a truck. No wonder we're not getting the kind of Wranglers we old guys want. My TJ serves as a truck....with a kinda 4 foot bed.....deleted the back seat. Don't wanna pay 70 Grand for a Rubicon pickup that's not a pickup. Moreover, it's hardly a Rubicon considering the departure angle and under carriage spare. Hell, the Nissan Frontier filled that gap years ago with its optional locker package.

Last edited:

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
It is a solar station. How do you get gas to a gas station?
I agree this isn't a great idea. I am not a fan of cutting down trees to run wire to a solar farm or to build a solar farm right there. I have a solar house and the CoolToys TV studio is solar. There are lots of places solar works. I don't think this is one of them.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why not park your body in a life support capsule and plug in to a pristine virtual world!
Sponsored