First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Firstly, each state has it's own laws as to when a title would need to be branded and how after an accident. Figures given by anyone outside your home state are worthless.

Insurance companies always have the option of total or repair, you'll find that spelled out in your policy. If the policyholder had the option you'd have people insisting their car be totalled for a door ding. To the insurance company its simple math. If they total it they would have estimated the value of the damaged vehicle to a salvage buyer. If their payout to you nets less than the cost to repair after they sell the wreck they'll total it. If the cost to repair is less that's what they'll do.

The responsible party's insurance company should pay for a rental until your repaired Jeep can be returned to you. If they are uninsured you probably have uninsured motorists coverage on your policy that will pick it up if you don't have rental reimbursement on your policy or if it's not enough to pay the full cost of the rental.

States vary in their positions on diminished value although it's becoming more common. I wouldn't hesitate to buy your repaired Jeep after an inspection knowing the frame was replaced with new. That said, Carfax is a reality that didn't exist during most of my career in auto claims and I have no doubt that no matter how clean the most comprehensive post repair inspection comes up potential buyers will waive that report at you demanding a painful reduction in asking price. I'd certainly ask for a diminished value settlement. If offered it most definitely won't be equal to the repair bill, personally I'd make my goal 50% and go from there. Again this could be dependent on your home state's (or where the accident happened if different) laws or legal precedents.

Count your blessings that you're OK. Stay cooperative and cordial with the insurance adjusters, refrain from making unreasonable demands and you'll get through this.

The good news is most of the "hidden" items that can come back to bite you in the ass are up front. In the back you've got some wiring harnesses you might not be able to see until disassembly and thats about it.

Good luck
Sponsored

OP
OP

St0rmy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for all the replies. They have been a lot of help. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow. It really doesn't look that bad until you look underneath.

I am still trying to find a repair shop. The shop that said they would replace the frame has been poor with coordination since. Another shop said they wouldn't touch it due to frame. Third shop wants to repair frame. So need to get a good plan in place. I'm not repairing frame.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Where are the pics??

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replies. They have been a lot of help. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow. It really doesn't look that bad until you look underneath.

I am still trying to find a repair shop. The shop that said they would replace the frame has been poor with coordination since. Another shop said they wouldn't touch it due to frame. Third shop wants to repair frame. So need to get a good plan in place. I'm not repairing frame.
Definitely don’t use that first repair shop. I have a policy now that any business that doesn’t return a phone call I move on. There’s no way you can have pride in your business and not return a customers call.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Have whoever does the repairs document all the repairs before and after with photos. I had that done on my VW Jetta Sportwagon when it was rear ended. I'm also shocked at the low cost of repair... I had a rear door, and back panel replaced and it was over $7k.
See if whoever is doing your repair will go ahead and install all your new stuff - since it's a full frame replacement everything is being done anyway - save the labor and do it right once!

Sponsored

OP
OP

St0rmy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Pictures.

New estimate came in at 11,127

000585378904B02_Image_24.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_4.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_5.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_9.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_10.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_11.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_15.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_16.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_17.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_18.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_19.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_20.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_21.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_22.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_23.jpg

000585378904B02_Image_24.jpg

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like your tow hitch saved you a lot of sheet metal damage, though it appears to have transferred a lot of energy directly to the frame. A frame replacement is going to have you back to new and I bet you will barely notice it. Hope they can throw in installation of your lift kit!

OP
OP

St0rmy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Looks like your tow hitch saved you a lot of sheet metal damage, though it appears to have transferred a lot of energy directly to the frame. A frame replacement is going to have you back to new and I bet you will barely notice it. Hope they can throw in installation of your lift kit!
The hitch being on seem to really send the force straight into the frame. By the time she hit the corner driver side of bumper I think a lot energy had been lost. It is unfortunate as we usually do not have that hitch on there but we had just dropped our little boat and were running to pickup a part.

I am at least doing a different exhaust. The muffler was damaged and it's a little over 440 to replace. For that I can get a SS hi tuck cat back. With a lot if manufacturers being shut done hard to find stuff to get here quick enough. We will see.

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Curious if the $6.5k repair cost was just the preliminary estimate which could be much more once they take things apart. My wife's Q7 was rear ended by a dump truck, estimate was $16k, but once body shop did in depth look, it was over $50k of damage/totaled.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
As badly folded as that frame rail is it is definitely not safely repairable. And for what it's worth, it performed as designed. By folding at designed in points it absorbed a lot of energy protecting you.

My '07 JKU frame rail looked about the same.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
keep it for 10 years and have a great beat around buggy
I'd go with that after being sure it drives as it should because it is now documented as salvage. You and your passengers (if any) were surely injured getting hit that hard. Your injury could show symptoms months after the accident.

Never settle until you are absolutely sure you will be satisfied with your settlement for the rest of your life. The time you have been called upon to spend resolving this must be regarded as valuable and irreplaceable. You should be prepared to take a year if necessary to settle. Do not hesitate to complain by personally visiting your state's insurance commissioner's office when you are low-balled ....and you will be.

Document everything: dates, times, contacts. Only deal through email and written correspondence. Do not consent to phone interviews. Never use the phone! You can't think that fast. They record everything which favors them; nothing favoring you! Insist on written communication towards settlement only! Seeing and spending plenty of time with written communication allows you thorough insight, consideration and preparation to argue your case. Only you can be your best lawyer.

Transparency, good faith, accountability and best efforts are terms used in your state's laws allowing corporations to do business in your state. When shown those principles are neglected, then law has been broken. The insurance company settling with you will use the cheapest method to get you to settle. i.e., lowest level employees, boiler plate documents/letters for communication, conflicting agreements and points for clarification..... all must be in writing showing neglect in applying the above principles. Every hour you put in on behalf of yourself will yield >$100 up to customary historical case settlement limits. Know what you want from this.. Keep in mind, once you consult a lawyer, the insurance commissioner will no longer help you.

Good luck!

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Take it to the dealer and let them do an indepth quote. If they also refuse to touch it take their statement and take from the other shop that doesnt want to touch it and argue for a Total. If they don’t total it your insurance company should cut a check for the devaluation of the vehicle with significant damage repair vs. no damage history.
Sponsored