St0rmy

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hello,

Our 2019 JLUR was rear ended the other day while stopped at a light. The person who rear ended us was distracted and never slowed down. Everyone in the Jeep was fine and we were able to drive it home. I took pictures at the accident and more when I got home. I definitely had some worries prior to crawling up under it as you can tell the entire driver side had shifted down. The force of the impact showed as the body was altered around the gas cap and the gap between the hardtop and body increase as you went towards the back of the jeep. When I crawled under the jeep my worse thoughts were confirmed and the frame was compromised.

We went and received a quote for repairs and it came in around $6500 and will require 17 days of work. The lengthy time is due to a complete frame replacement. Expectedly I am bummed about this as I had been collecting parts for the build for several months now. I do not know if anyone who reads this has gone through something similar but I suppose I have a few questions. Will the frame replacement impact our warranty at all? I am not familiar with how an accident such as this will be annotated on the VIN. Will it be classified as an accident or will it annotate that it involved the frame? Obviously, this would impact the value of the jeep even after repairs so I assume that is something I should talk to the insurance about. Lastly, with such a lengthy time without the Jeep, is loss of us a thing to go after?

If anyone has any experience or information that would be helpful. Obviously I am not too familiar with the car accident process.

Thanks!

EDIT...If better placement is in the technical section please feel free to move and sorry.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Our 2019 JLUR was rear ended the other day while stopped at a light. The person who rear ended us was distracted and never slowed down. Everyone in the Jeep was fine and we were able to drive it home. I took pictures at the accident and more when I got home. I definitely had some worries prior to crawling up under it as you can tell the entire driver side had shifted down. The force of the impact showed as the body was altered around the gas cap and the gap between the hardtop and body increase as you went towards the back of the jeep. When I crawled under the jeep my worse thoughts were confirmed and the frame was compromised.

We went and received a quote for repairs and it came in around $6500 and will require 17 days of work. The lengthy time is due to a complete frame replacement. Expectedly I am bummed about this as I had been collecting parts for the build for several months now. I do not know if anyone who reads this has gone through something similar but I suppose I have a few questions. Will the frame replacement impact our warranty at all? I am not familiar with how an accident such as this will be annotated on the VIN. Will it be classified as an accident or will it annotate that it involved the frame? Obviously, this would impact the value of the jeep even after repairs so I assume that is something I should talk to the insurance about. Lastly, with such a lengthy time without the Jeep, is loss of us a thing to go after?

If anyone has any experience or information that would be helpful. Obviously I am not too familiar with the car accident process.

Thanks!

EDIT...If better placement is in the technical section please feel free to move and sorry.
A complete frame replacement doesn't total the vehicle?!?

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Glad you are OK. Just a couple thoughts:

With a unibody construction vehicle (most cars, as well as most modern SUVs) it is much more common for a vehicle to get totaled with significant frame damage, because there would also be significant body damage since the body & frame are one unit. Since the Jeep is Body on Frame (like most trucks, a body simply sitting on the frame) the frame can be swapped fairly easily. Replacing, vs trying to repair the frame is a very good thing from a structural perspective.

My only worry in a situation like this would be the body damage repairs. I would make sure they are replacing all necessary panels, and not simply trying to fix them. (Body filler is evil:)) Need to make sure that panel gaps are goo, and test seal fitment to ensure you do not have any leaks from the top after the work is done. use a flashlight and check for water instrusion all around the top after.

A competent repair shop should have not trouble and you should be good to go once complete.

Cheers.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Will the frame replacement impact our warranty at all?
No.

Will it be classified as an accident or will it annotate that it involved the frame?
An accident is an accident. To your insurance company, it makes no difference if there was frame damage or not.

Obviously, this would impact the value of the jeep even after repairs so I assume that is something I should talk to the insurance about.
Yes, speak to your insurance company about diminished value.

Lastly, with such a lengthy time without the Jeep, is loss of us a thing to go after?
Again, this is something to discuss with your insurance company. Typically you would have coverage that provides for reimbursement of rental cars, public transportation and/or any other reasonable transportation expenses incurred as a result of the loss of use of your vehicle and/or transportation means. Typical reasonable transportation means are buses, taxis, Ubers, etc.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That does seem quite low to fix all that.

If the damage is >25% it will be deemed “salvage” which results in significant loss in value (real world used car dealer experience, the vehicle value is 50-60% of its value if otherwise not salvage).

Two ways to do it: 1) sell it, cut your losses, buy another that won’t have alignment problems, body fracturing and rust/paint issues, etc. 2) dump the extra cash you get into mods, keep it for 10 years and have a great beat around buggy.

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Simply glad that you are OK.

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
With that damage you'll be "CarFaxed" and when you go to trade if you do the dealer/dealers will cut your value as much as your repairs costs. I had 4k worth of repairs, all jeep parts on a 2010 Jeep Liberty rear ended when I went to the dealer to trade with my figures they said "fine"! They then came back and said "we can't do that figure you have a CarFax we have to take off 4k" !!! I said fine and got up to walk out, they talked and came back and finally dropped to deducting 2k. Nope, I left and went to two other dealers, same deal but those dealers stuck to the 4k I suppose cuz I was not a steady customer?? My own dealer finally only deducted 1600 bad enough for something fixed like new!! I did the deal, really wanted that 2012 JKU!!!

Good luck whatever the case!

Go Jeep!!!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everybody is okay. My wife was rear-ended by a drunk driver on April 24. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/another-member-jlu-collision-report-with-video.50038/

I know my first concern was my wife’s well-being, but I’d be lying if I told you I haven’t worried about what was going to happen with my Jeep. Fortunately, things are very different in Kentucky. My Jeep was totaled because there was body and frame damage. I feel that a person should be able to decide whether or not they want a vehicle repaired or totaled when it involves the frame and/or any repair that is going to diminish it’s value or potentially cause permanent lingering problems. Sorry you’re dealing with this. I know first hand the stress and frustration you’re experiencing. I hope the shop doing the repairs does excellent work.

PunknP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hello,

Thanks!

Well first I hope everybody is ok. Getting hit is a traumatic event. I had somebody run into me a few years back. The repairs cost over $11000. The insurance company would not total the vehicle. I knew that I would get a diminished return on the vehicle when trading it in because it would be "car faxed". As soon as I got it back from being repaired, I traded it in before it had a chance to be carfaxed. It was a flawless repair. The dealer never asked whether it had been in an accident. I avoided the diminished value from the accident, though I obviously was still a bit upside down on the loan because it was a newer vehicle. Just something to think about.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When you get hit like that it should be automatic that the "at blame" driver should have to pay additional compensation to cover the value loss. But with so many drivers being uninsured, underinsured and not having money to pay damages I doubt that justice like that will ever occur.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

first off. glad y'all are safe!

i would be interested to see how much the frame being replaced would hurt the value. i say this because yet the car fax will show frame damage but it should also show full frame replacement which in turn should lessen the hit of the diminished value of the vehicle. its one thing to try and straighten a frame but replacing makes it like new. other things to take into concentration is control arms, axle tubes, driveshafts, etc.. Hopefully you get fixed up with all new parts and no body filler parts. Post pictures when your able!
Sponsored