First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Little surprised it was real.
Underwhelmed.
I guess of course they don't want to talk about the problems (exploding Jeep clutch fires) and would rather get free ideas on how to sell more Jeeps.
I'll watch the next one though.
Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
My $.02.

There were definitely connectivity and bandwidth issues initially. That seems to be a problem globally as many people are working from home and chewing up bandwidth. After about 5 minutes, it seemed to clear up.

Agree with others' comments that too much time was spent early in the session on war stories and such. But, I also recognize that there are some members of this community who just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. Haters gonna hate.

In regards to discussions about new products and concept vehicles. I know folks are frustrated about the vehicles they're driving today and the issues they're having. However, remember that this roundtable was generated because Easter Jeep Safari was canceled. This was Jeep's attempt to reach out to its fan base and customers to in some small way make up for that disappointing reality. I don't fault them for talking about concept vehicles - that's what they do at EJS. Concept vehicles are their way of incorporating customer demands into future products. That may not fix your clutch or your steering, but they can't lose sight of future products either.

I agree that they should have spent more time discussing how they're going to support current owners and their respective dealerships in resolving the two hot topics - steering and manual transmissions. They seemed to avoid it. A lot of the owner frustration comes from crappy customer service at dealerships. Dealerships don't seem to take the owner's position and be advocates with FCA to demand resolution. Instead, they're annoyed that customers have problems that they can't fix. They just sit in the middle of a shouting match and complain that it's happening. FCA needs to definitively resolve the issue and then proactively engage with its dealer network to meet customer demands. Plain and simple. They missed the mark on this topic.

All in all, I'm glad they did the session. Nothing will replace face to face interaction at EJS, but this was a respectable attempt to remain connected with enthusiasts. In the future, I hope they do more of these - even after the plague has subsided. If they do, I'd like to see a bit more structure, such as: hot topics first (complaints, recalls, maintenance issues, etc.), the future plans (what's in the works that they can tell us about), and then wrap up with customer inputs and ideas.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
They asked for feedback about the livestream...
It's true Ed. What I'd like to know is why.

Gentlemen of the livestream, compare the questions that were here before you went live to the time you spent on them.

How you think you did?! (Hint: really bad.)

Some critical stuff was barely acknowledged, then given seconds of discussion time if talked about at all. And that's not sour grapes. I don't have any major problems but others do, and time should have been spent discussing what most people wanted to hear about. Sure, complaints may represent more of what's in this thread, but you asked for comments. Did you not know that's what might happen beforehand?

Dozens of question went unaddressed let alone discussed when anecdotes and concept vehicles, things not asked for, seemed to take up most of your time.

Look, next time, just be honest. Tell us you're going to shoot the breeze with a fireside like chat and don't solicit our questions if you don't intend on making them the focus--not that most of us are surprised.

And for those who think I'm, like anti-FCA or something, please, go through the pages of issues raised here and compare it to what was discussed.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
From where can I access the recording?
I don't know, and I'm not sure that that's a bad thing.

Sure, it must be easy to sound like I'm just joining the cynical band wagon here but I'm not.

Fortunately I can summarize it for you using a metaphor:

A family (us) has gathered around for an intervention about grandpa's health. Grandpa's oldest child starts things going:

"Grandpa (playing the role of FCA here), know I speak for not only myself but the family when I say that we love you, and because of this want you to address a few key areas about your health that can make a huge difference in the quality and duration of your life. For example, that blood pressure and cholesterol medication...."

"Son," as grandpa cuts him off, "did I ever tell you the story about how your grandma and I were caught skinny dipping in Sherman's creek?"

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They may have run the questions by legal beforehand and were told what to say and not say. That's the way our society works. If they said something on a public space and then it is used against them in a class action lawsuit the attorneys would tell them I told you not to admit that. When I was in management it seemed legal or hr or both were always involved. More and more so over the years.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So...as a soon to be orderer of a 2021 Diesel, IS the steering fixed? Are the complaints simply about the older JLs?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They may have run the questions by legal beforehand and were told what to say and not say. That's the way our society works. If they said something on a public space and then it is used against them in a class action lawsuit the attorneys would tell them I told you not to admit that. When I was in management it seemed legal or hr or both were always involved. More and more so over the years.
As a retired corporate CFO, I liked to think that we meddled just as much as legal, and way more than HR. :)

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Figured it would be crap. Bunch of self-absorbed management getting together 'acting' as they care. Hey, here's an easy one.....stop the rain gutter leaking inside the cab!!! .......you folks should be ashamed of yourselves. "Engineers" what a joke.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
So...as a soon to be orderer of a 2021 Diesel, IS the steering fixed? Are the complaints simply about the older JLs?
simple answer is no, to date there is no definitive fix.
some are worse. my 2020 is better than my 2018 was but still leaves a bit to be desired.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Figured it would be crap. Bunch of self-absorbed management getting together 'acting' as they care. Hey, here's an easy one.....stop the rain gutter leaking inside the cab!!! .......you folks should be ashamed of yourselves. "Engineers" what a joke.
Jim Morrison – VP Head of Jeep Brand North America
Mark Allen - Head of Jeep Design
Scott Blum - Wrangler Product Planner
Pete Milo - Chief Engineer Wrangler & Gladiator
Nate Buelow - Moderator

The only one with "engineer" in his title was the only one not present!

OP
OP
First Name
Nate Buelow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I posted a question about the W12 clutch recall and they did address this, but without providing much information. It was stated only that parts were available, but when I login to mopar.com and look at the recall for my Jeep, it shows that "repair parts are not available". I have not called my dealer yet, but I did ask (via the website) to be notified via email when parts were available.

I also asked for some additional information on what will be done to fix this recall, but that was not addressed at all. I am wondering if the entire clutch disc and pressure plate assembly will be replaced. How about the throwout bearing? And flywheel? Maybe they'll just add a scattershield to prevent catastrophic damage to the fuel lines, electrical wiring, and occupants of the vehicle.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 5.48.01 PM.png
To follow up on your request for more information on the clutch recall:
This campaign is actually running ahead of the timeline required by regulation. Notices to advise customers of service availability are scheduled to be mailed next week.

Recalls are complex undertakings that demand engineering discipline and careful logistical planning. As with every recall, this campaign is proceeding in the best interests of customer safety.

We urge customers to follow the instructions on their recall notices. Those with questions or concerns may call 1-800-853-1403.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I don't know, and I'm not sure that that's a bad thing.

Sure, it must be easy to sound like I'm just joining the cynical band wagon here but I'm not.

Fortunately I can summarize it for you using a metaphor:

A family (us) has gathered around for an intervention about grandpa's health. Grandpa's oldest child starts things going:

"Grandpa (playing the role of FCA here), know I speak for not only myself but the family when I say that we love you, and because of this want you to address a few key areas about your health that can make a huge difference in the quality and duration of your life. For example, that blood pressure and cholesterol medication...."

"Son," as grandpa cuts him off, "did I ever tell you the story about how your grandma and I were caught skinny dipping in Sherman's creek?"
Even in these times, it sounded like it was a complete waste of time.

No half doors it is then. I wish someone sued them for launching a vehicle by showing them to people and then for going all quiet. There has to be a law against that.

Also, while I'm ranting, I don't care for the damn Gladiator. Ever since that crap came along, JL's progress has taken a back seat of a Wrangler (not an Unlimited).

50% of the time I'm thinking about Jeeps, I'm thinking about my JKUO I let go to get the JLUR.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's true Ed. What I'd like to know is why.

Gentlemen of the livestream, compare the questions that were here before you went live to the time you spent on them.

How you think you did?! (Hint: really bad.)

Some critical stuff was barely acknowledged, then given seconds of discussion time if talked about at all. And that's not sour grapes. I don't have any major problems but others do, and time should have been spent discussing what most people wanted to hear about. Sure, complaints may represent more of what's in this thread, but you asked for comments. Did you not know that's what might happen beforehand?

Dozens of question went unaddressed let alone discussed when anecdotes and concept vehicles, things not asked for, seemed to take up most of your time.

Look, next time, just be honest. Tell us you're going to shoot the breeze with a fireside like chat and don't solicit our questions if you don't intend on making them the focus--not that most of us are surprised.

And for those who think I'm, like anti-FCA or something, please, go through the pages of issues raised here and compare it to what was discussed.
100% agreed. And now we know where Jeep dealers get their culture of avoidance from. :(

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Jim Morrison – VP Head of Jeep Brand North America
Mark Allen - Head of Jeep Design
Scott Blum - Wrangler Product Planner
Pete Milo - Chief Engineer Wrangler & Gladiator
Nate Buelow - Moderator

Not surprising. I predict the rain gutter leak will be with Jeep for at least another 10 years. With 'crayon head' thinking he is doing a wonderful job.

Mark Allen is the head of Jeep design at Fiat-Chrysler. "Head crayon for Jeep" is how he describes himself. - At least he is honest in his abilities.
Sponsored