Vehicle Showcase

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Jerry: Does the o-ring seal look anything like Brandon Halon's (Carolina Customs, I think formerly Jeep Informant??) idea from a while back?

There isn't any adhesive, it's basically like foam weather stripping that compression seals against the floor when it's snapped in place. It takes considerable downward force to compress the gasket enough so that the drain snaps in place, that's why I believe the seal is sealing.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Have you looked underneath when they are in place to make sure they are sealed? My 2019 with a build date of 07/19, purchased 02/20 has the foam seal but no o ring seal nor any groove to snap into the floor pan.
I haven't looked underneath yet, but based on the firm and snug snap into place, they in place and sealed.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
This is what was quoted…

"I fired off a quick email to Jeep's PR reps to see if there was something mechanically different between our 2019 Wrangler's steering and this newer 2020 one"

"Jeep's reps helpfully confirmed that Wrangler engineers had made both steering gear valve tuning and pump calibration changes that would result in lighter, lower-effort steering. "

This is the article…

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...-unlimited-rubicon-review-long-term-update-5/
This is specific to the diesel only. I’d like to know why they went with a faster steering ratio in a heavier vehicle. Makes no sense unless they are using this smaller production run to try something to make the steering better. Faster(heavier) mechanical ratio with more assist?

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
@JeepBrandOfficial

The steering system has had so many complaints and issues since the JL was introduced. What will be done for those of us that still have sloppy steering gearboxes that are being told this is “normal”? Most here know what is normal for a Jeep, and know the slop in certain vehicles is not normal. The number of forum posts and NHTSA complaints are astounding, please address.

Is there some logic to the faster steering gear ratio in the eco diesel even though the vehicle is heavier to try and address these complaints?

Last edited:

Sponsored

conmax

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLUR
The Jeep team would like to invite you to participate in the Jeep brands first ever digital livestream round table. This first ever digital round table will give you the opportunity to interact and submit questions to designers, engineers, and executive leads.

The livestream will begin Tuesday 4/21 at 4PM EST and can be accessed via the link below. Please comment below with your questions and don't forget to tune in!

https://fiat.mc.eu1.kontiki.com/global2/content?moid=4c91630c-36a6-431b-984c-9c29c675f86b

Round table participants will include:
Jim Morrison – VP Head of Jeep Brand North America
Mark Allen - Head of Jeep Design
Scott Blum - Wrangler Product Planner
Pete Milo - Chief Engineer Wrangler & Gladiator
Nate Buelow - Moderator

conmax

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLUR
the ride and handing of my 2019 JLUR is poor. similar to others is the "wandering" problem. mine can also be described as twitchy, unstable, moving all over the road, changing lanes. this makes me very nervous to the point of not wanting to drive it. it is completely stock and has all FCA changes relating to this problem. everyone that has driven it or ridden in it, feels insecure.
I wonder if a slower ratio steering box will help. I have 2 other 4wd vehicles that do not exhibit this problem. dealer techs always say "cannot duplicate" or no problem found.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
If this has come up I'm sorry for rehashing....

..and this isn't so much a question or criticism as it is a suggestion....

FCA: with all the places that you could place the electric charging port on the JLs that will eventually have them, your placement of that port on the cowl, IMHO, is a less than ideal place given the large number of roof racks/lights that secure in part to the rig at that location and would likely block the port, or....to enable access, would require so much material removed from such roof rack/lights supporting hardware there as to compromise the hardware's strength

I appreciate that distance of the port to the batteries is $. And with distance may require thicker cables internal to the rig (so as to not lose wattage with ampacity loss) that cost more (to the consumer.) But why not place the port somewhere on the rig that doesn't have a history for aftermarket items to interfere with it, or vice versa?

Thanks.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a question...Can you ask if they ever thought about designing a hardtop that can be removed in sections, maybe the way a soft top does with the two rear windows pushing up and out of channels within the top to be removed and then the rear lift ..leaving the top as the last. I know it is a pipe dream but would be so much easier to remove and store as well as being able to remove alone and without any aftermarket contraptions.
Hey Rico

I'm including the master at this @jscherb on the discussion.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

@JeepBrandOfficial : if you can be interested in this, I suggest you don't reinvent the wheel. Rather, license the tech from Jeff Scherb, who is a master craftsman at this stuff.:)

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here is a video with one of the Jeep engineers. At 9:10 in the video, loud fan, there's a fix for that now (software fix so that the fan is only extremely loud when it needs to be instead of 100% of the time).

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The Gap between the fenders and the side panels is there a reason for it? All it does is catch sand,rocks and debris should have rubber or something in there so thing flow out.
I agree. Until FCA addresses this, do you need a link to the rubber piping that I, and many of us have put in this gap to address it?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Jeep team would like to invite you to participate in the Jeep brands first ever digital livestream round table. This first ever digital round table will give you the opportunity to interact and submit questions to designers, engineers, and executive leads.

The livestream will begin Tuesday 4/21 at 4PM EST and can be accessed via the link below. Please comment below with your questions and don't forget to tune in!

https://fiat.mc.eu1.kontiki.com/global2/content?moid=4c91630c-36a6-431b-984c-9c29c675f86b

Round table participants will include:
Jim Morrison – VP Head of Jeep Brand North America
Mark Allen - Head of Jeep Design
Scott Blum - Wrangler Product Planner
Pete Milo - Chief Engineer Wrangler & Gladiator
Nate Buelow - Moderator
Will there be a way to review the contents of the livestream afterwards for those who can't attend due to prior commitments?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL