Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Turns out the tiny ESS battery is more of a weak link or achilles heel then eTorque. People are more likely getting stranded by a bad ESS battery and / or charging system then anything else. I herd about 40% of all warranty problems are ESS battery and charger related. Problems with it can cause all kinds of seemingly unrelated problems to happen. All kinds of warning lights seemingly not related to the battery or charging system? I herd there were some changes between the 2018 and 2019 ESS systems.
...and the funny thing is Nick that forum members have reported that more recent 3.6L JLs have an alternative cold crank procedure design whereby if either battery has sufficient power the rig will crank.

Accordingly I asked above for the FCA group of this thread to explain if the logic has changed, and if so, has this/will this change be uploaded into the older JLs.

I would think that this logic change could be handled without anyone having to open a hood or change parts.....rather, handled with a download or dealer reconfig.
Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
agreed here is a pic of where the water goes with the door open, right on to floor, and all over your leg as you try to enter and exit the vehicle when it is raining. Bad design flaw.
rain.JPG
And this picture illustrates the next poor design. The Mopar All Weather Floor Mats. I see yours were not installed properly either, all that water will flow to the drain hole and soak the carpet. The flip side is if you do install them properly (remove carpet cutout, remove rubber plug, place floor mat in chassis drain hole, put rubber plug in floor mat) now you run the risk of water coming in from underneath and soaking the carpet even worse if your fording a stream, because the mat does not snap into the hole securely. Another screw up we have to "engineer" a fix for. Hmm must be a "Jeep thing".

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
...and the funny thing is Nick that forum members have reported that more recent 3.6L JLs have an alternative cold crank procedure design whereby if either battery has sufficient power the rig will crank.

Accordingly I asked above for the FCA group of this thread to explain if the logic has changed, and if so, has this/will this change be uploaded into the older JLs.

I would think that this logic change could be handled without anyone having to open a hood or change parts.....rather, handled with a download or dealer reconfig.
You would think it would trickle down as a recall or TSB. That would make too much sense and be too easy though. It would probably save FCA more money by not having to deal with warranty claims. I am sure FCA is consulting with the bean counters.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
And this picture illustrates the next poor design. The Mopar All Weather Floor Mats. I see yours were not installed properly either, all that water will flow to the drain hole and soak the carpet. The flip side is if you do install them properly (remove carpet cutout, remove rubber plug, place floor mat in chassis drain hole, put rubber plug in floor mat) now you run the risk of water coming in from underneath and soaking the carpet even worse if your fording a stream, because the mat does not snap into the hole securely. Another screw up we have to "engineer" a fix for. Hmm must be a "Jeep thing".
The drain on my new Gladiator floor mats does seal to the floor and I do not expect that water will leak in from underneath. There is an o-ring seal on the drain that compresses and seals to the floor when the drain is snapped into place.

jt floor mat detail.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

x2 on this. The early JLs would not start with a bad aux battery, but the new ones will. Can order JLs be retrofitted so they can start with a bad aux battery? It also seems to me (anecdotally) that there are fewer battery issues reported, have there been any system changes to improve battery performance and life expectancy.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
x2 on this. The early JLs would not start with a bad aux battery, but the new ones will. Can order JLs be retrofitted so they can start with a bad aux battery? It also seems to me (anecdotally) that there are fewer battery issues reported, have there been any system changes to improve battery performance and life expectancy.
I think that this would be a VERY good question to have answered definitively at the Roundtable.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would highly recommend the optional TOW package with higher output alternator and battery for any ESS equipped JL.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
There was a change for 2020 with steering. People are reporting improvements.
wow...2018 and 2019 must have been God-awful, then.

because our 2020 stinks out loud. wanders everywhere.

I see this spending a lot of time in the local dealer service department for this.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
wow...2018 and 2019 must have been God-awful, then.

because our 2020 stinks out loud. wanders everywhere.

I see this spending a lot of time in the local dealer service department for this.
Check your tire pressure. Dealers like to inflate them to 42psi. My stock Rubi 2 door is much happier at 32psi or so.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the double post, I am just now catching up on all this. The proximity locks have exactly this. I jump out, open the tailgate to grab my laptop bag, close tailgate, press the lock button that is on the tailgate handle, and all doors lock. So I guess, Jeep already took your suggestion? You just didn't buy it. (sorry I can't help myself)
I don't have proximity locks...I went as basic as I could get the jeep... but I do know what you're talking about.... my dodge ram has proximity locks, auto dimming headlights, power everything.... it took some time to get use to going back to basics..lol...

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The drain on my new Gladiator floor mats does seal to the floor and I do not expect that water will leak in from underneath. There is an o-ring seal on the drain that compresses and seals to the floor when the drain is snapped into place.

jt floor mat detail.jpg
Jerry: Does the o-ring seal look anything like Brandon Halon's (Carolina Customs, I think formerly Jeep Informant??) idea from a while back?

mjohns57

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah had to figure out why the carpet was exposed. Dealer did not install properly, but glad they messed it it. I purchased and installed an additional set of plugs. Chassis plug still installed and no wet carpets.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah had to figure out why the carpet was exposed. Dealer did not install properly, but glad they messed it it. I purchased and installed an additional set of plugs. Chassis plug still installed and no wet carpets.
Yes, I am still debating buying extra plugs or installing correctly. Would be nice if they gave you an extra set of plugs.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jt floor mat detail.jpg
Have you looked underneath when they are in place to make sure they are sealed? My 2019 with a build date of 07/19, purchased 02/20 has the foam seal but no o ring seal nor any groove to snap into the floor pan.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Given all the issues that people are having when it rains (floor mats, freedom tops), I'm glad that I live in AZ.
Sponsored