First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
We don’t even know what Bronco will and won’t be capable of, and they are already planning to drop a 5.0 in it?

Pffft...!

PS - the 392 is conservatively rated at 485 HP/485 lbs. on Dodge Challenger and Charger. A 450/450 392 HEMI would seem detuned, likely to take regular gas.
It's going to be similar to the one in the 2500 that I'm driving right now. Not exactly a barn burner.
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
6.4-liter V-8 engine with 392 cubic inches of displacement results in 450 horsepower,450 lb.-ft. of torque and a 0-60 mph time of less than five seconds
No way they can achieve the claimed sub-5 second 0-60 time with 37s... maybe 60 km/h :LOL:
damn thing will just flip over on its side.
With the increased talk of FCA having test mules of the 392 out there, which they wouldn't have if it's like any other concept they've done...

When I look at the press release again it makes me think if the sub-5 second 0-60 claim is with production 33 stock tires. As in the figures match a 392 if dropped in to a stock Rubicon.

Either that or they never tested the 0-60 times on this and did some uneducated guesswork. I still repeat, 450hp cannot make a lifted, JLU with heavy 37 wheels+tires and increased powertrain weight make it to 60 in less than 5. If they said low 5s then maybe.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Let me just say, I agree with most of what you say regarding the Jeep and it's abilities and limitations. However, I will say that if it was just the enthusiasts (or the hard core offroaders) who bought the Jeep, sad to say, but I doubt it would even be around anymore. They sold 227,000 Jeeps last year, how many of those are buy for sylistic reasons and how many are buying it for "off-road". Everyone should be thankful there's people out there that buy the Jeep for it's looks, cause it's no doubt why it's still around. It's like saying that you buy a convertible Mustang for the "looks" but it's not really a Mustang because it's not the tried and true, solid coupe version...makes no sense.

I never implied that only those who would fully push a wranglers limits should get one. My point was that compromises have to be made. Plenty of people are perfectly fine giving up car like handling, knowing that they will or at least could push some serious limits.

As for this...not sure where you get the idea that Bronco prioritizes "pavement" over off road. No promotional video or information I've read show it driving through New York city or down the interstate. 100% of the videos are it devouring boulders and smashing through sand dunes. Anyway...not a bronco vs thread lol

It's not an idea, it's fact. The very presence of short arm ifs is a clear indicator of Ford answering the cries for car like steering and front end handling. Every written article over the last couple days, has pointed out the positives of ifs on road but conveniently leaves out its limitations off road. This is, after all, the off road segment so it makes sense to keep conversation on point. Otherwise, mustangs and rogues should get a mention.

There was no devouring of boulders, just the smart use of the simple physics of momentum to maintain a certain degree of body stability and minimize wheel lift. Also, it was clearly being driven through the bypasses of the actual obstacles. Real actual boulders aren't the only cause of wheel lift caused by limited articulation. Deep ruts will get a wheel lifted just the same.

IFS is the limitation we're all speaking of. And I guess those 5% of the time the Jeep can get over that massive boulder the Bronco will just have to find a new route. But as you say, but what your use-case dictates.

Again, a poor attempt at compartmentalizing a limitation, rather than accepting it for what it is. Ford decided to answer the call that Jeep refuses to ever pick up. To limit off road capability for a car like commute.

Just keep in mind that if those people who buy the Jeep for it's cool looks find something that's just as cool but has many more options and quite frankly will make their daily drive much more comfortable, those Jeep sales will go down. Wrangler may still hold the throne cause it got over that last boulder but wont do much when half their sales went to a Bronco and now they only sell 100,000 a year (Mustang's sell approx 100,000/yr, Ford keeps this around for obvious reasons). FCA...do they even care enough to keep Jeep around? I dunno what will happen if they don't sell enough....

Again with the "last boulder" delusion. You're only kidding yourselves. Accept it for what it is. Take a lesson from the majority of the happy Jeep owners both here and out in the world. They don't at all mind their Wrangler not steering like a car, because they both respect it and are comforted by knowing they could go anywhere with it.

Regardless of someone being a hard core user or a grocery getter, we're all Jeepers in the true meaning of the word.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
as I said I’m not proclaiming either is better, I’m saying it wouldn’t hurt to fix the steering (since you mentioned Jeep owners have “accepted” it).

the fact that you can buy thousands of dollars worth of part to actually improve and fix the steering make it apparent that it is fixable and Jeep just hasn’t done it. If it affects off-road performance, make “improved Direct steering“ a “mopar” option...

I think everyone who is disagreeing with this 392 concept is simply saying to actually just give us better bloody options!!

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
as I said I’m not proclaiming either is better, I’m saying it wouldn’t hurt to fix the steering (since you mentioned Jeep owners have “accepted” it).

the fact that you can buy thousands of dollars worth of part to actually improve and fix the steering make it apparent that it is fixable and Jeep just hasn’t done it. If it affects off-road performance, make “improved Direct steering“ a “mopar” option...

I think everyone who is disagreeing with this 392 concept is simply saying to actually just give us better bloody options!!
I’m starting to “wander” if the issues are going to be related to bad/misaligned welds related to the main frame and the external arm linkages and components that hold steering equipment and axles together.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

You continue to miss the point and misconstrue what i say. Your insinuation that I ever said anything about Jeep owners accepting those with steering issues is insulting.

All these various bronco threads are one in the same, just regurgitated under a different title.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You continue to miss the point and misconstrue what i say. Your insinuation that I ever said anything about Jeep owners accepting those with steering issues is insulting.

All these various bronco threads are one in the same, just regurgitated under a different title.
Ok, I will not comment on what you said because this will go on and on, you seem to know what future and current Jeep owner wants so let’s just leave it at that and not continue to “wander” off topic.

Edit: I have to comment...

clearly you missed the point that I said FCA could fix the steering with the aforementioned “aftermarket” fixes I’ve read about ON THIS FORUM (Or here’s a crazy thought, fix it themselves! Since the death wobble issue has been around for the last 70 years Or so). But I guess if we fixed the steering to be more directional...what? It would no longer be a Jeep because it steers well? Really man you’re trying to say that not being able to steer well on the friggin highway is an “acceptable” caveat of having a Jeep???? And there’s no way to fix it and keep the off-road ability? Whatever, You’re defending Jeep’s short-comings whole all that I want is for them to fix them!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Just keep in mind that if those people who buy the Jeep for it's cool looks find something that's just as cool but has many more options and quite frankly will make their daily drive much more comfortable, those Jeep sales will go down.
In a purpose filled world, every purchase, every choice, every decision has reasoning and direction behind it.

If the goal is to own a Wrangler, we ask, when the goal own owning one is fulfilled, what then and why? I would love an informal poll of every person who goes to a Jeep dealer with the intent to purchase a Wrangler and successfully is able to purchase. The goal of the survey finds out
  1. What the Wrangler brand means and represents to the prospective buyer?
  2. Why purchase the vehicle?
  3. What is the purpose for your purchase?
  4. What are the intentions and how is it planning on being used?
To be completely objective, because I want to know the data, there is not a wrong answer.

I’d ask the same questions replacing Jeep with Ford and Wrangler with Bronco. At the end of the day, the manufacturer will not care how the vehicle is used as long as it’s been purchased from the authorized retailer.
clearly you missed the point that I said FCA could fix the steering with the aforementioned “aftermarket” fixes I’ve read about
This implies that there’s something wrong with the steering and that it needs correction. Not all Wrangler owners feel the steering needs fixing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I will not comment on what you said because this will go on and on, you seem to know what future and current Jeep owner wants so let’s just leave it at that and not continue to “wander” off topic.

Edit: I have to comment...

clearly you missed the point that I said FCA could fix the steering with the aforementioned “aftermarket” fixes I’ve read about ON THIS FORUM (Or here’s a crazy thought, fix it themselves! Since the death wobble issue has been around for the last 70 years Or so). But I guess if we fixed the steering to be more directional...what? It would no longer be a Jeep because it steers well? Really man you’re trying to say that not being able to steer well on the friggin highway is an “acceptable” caveat of having a Jeep???? And there’s no way to fix it and keep the off-road ability? Whatever, You’re defending Jeep’s short-comings whole all that I want is for them to fix them!
You obviously have some serious reading comprehension problems. That most often goes hand and hand with poor thinking abilities. That explains the brunt of your posts.

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
It is a tease.. like the 2 door JT with a Hemi... But I like a bunch of others will be at the dealer begging them to take my hard $ if a v8 is offered...

392 is a great engine in every respect..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In a purpose filled world, every purchase, every choice, every decision has reasoning and direction behind it.

If the goal is to own a Wrangler, we ask, when the goal own owning one is fulfilled, what then and why? I would love an informal poll of every person who goes to a Jeep dealer with the intent to purchase a Wrangler and successfully is able to purchase. The goal of the survey finds out
  1. What the Wrangler brand means and represents to the prospective buyer?
  2. Why purchase the vehicle?
  3. What is the purpose for your purchase?
  4. What are the intentions and how is it planning on being used?
To be completely objective, because I want to know the data, there is not a wrong answer.

I’d ask the same questions replacing Jeep with Ford and Wrangler with Bronco. At the end of the day, the manufacturer will not care how the vehicle is used as long as it’s been purchased from the authorized retailer.
This implies that there’s something wrong with the steering and that it needs correction. Not all Wrangler owners feel the steering needs fixing.
Well said, and frankly a breath of fresh air in this thread. Thanks, like minded Jeeper!

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Excuse me for being so navie, I didn't know, that the after market shops, have been putting 392's into jeep wranglers.
I watched a video from MountZion, on a JK 392 install, hey FCA, watch the video and maybe you can do it!
Nice job MountZion!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Excuse me for being so navie, I didn't know, that the after market shops, have been putting 392's into jeep wranglers.
I watched a video from MountZion, on a JK 392 install, hey FCA, watch the video and maybe you can do it!
Nice job MountZion!
A number of companies ask over the country have been doing v8 swaps for the JL. Litebrite did a few videos covering the install of there hemi swap, at DCD customs in LA.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You obviously have some serious reading comprehension problems. That most often goes hand and hand with poor thinking abilities. That explains the brunt of your posts.
Whatever man, if having a different opinion than you of what I’d like to see in a Jeep means I have “comprehension” and poor cognitive thought, then I guess you’ve won.

This is about opinions on the 392, and all I’ve tried to get across is that there’s many other things that they could focus on to improve the product and you‘ve somehow managed to make it personal.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.