Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
I suppose some sort of tire upgrade would be made to increase the current 97 mph speed limited on all current Rubicon trims since the v6 equipped sport and sahara are speed limited at 110 mph.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
expect Jeep to water down the Wrangler to compete for who looks the most bad ass in a parking lot?
Exactly. People who buy these vehicles to make themselves look good or better don’t but instead invite themselves to disaster and free floating anxiety of gross proportions.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Suspension and brakes. Gonna really need better brakes for that. Which makes offroad wheel fitment challenging too.

Who knows really, I just quoted that cause others think that...kinda irrelevant cause it's just a concept...

I think others have got to that because of the diesel pricing. But with that hemi you're not only getting more torque you're getting what? 80% more horsepower? MAJOR suspension upgrades required, but others who have converted would know more. And those "others" may be a lot more "responsible" than most..just saying. You don't invest $30K into a Hemi conversion and drive your Wrangler like a maniac.

R

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Nope. But let's face it, that's *EXACTLY* why a lot of people buy Wranglers. People think they look badass and that's good enough.

What I was actually saying is Jeep needs to fix things that need fixing, and improve things that need improving. Slapping a V8 in the Wrangler is cool but does nothing to really fundamentally improve the Wrangler.

So, you expect Jeep to water down the Wrangler to compete for who looks the most bad ass in a parking lot?

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Usually when Chrysler puts a high HP V8 in a vehicle, they lower the vehicle suspension. Obviously that helps offset the risk of rollover that the HP increased. Here they raised it. That makes me think its just fantasy.

Unless they were just combining bits for show, and the actual version would have a lowered suspension. But would that be of any actual benefit in a Wrangler then?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me just say, I agree with most of what you say regarding the Jeep and it's abilities and limitations. However, I will say that if it was just the enthusiasts (or the hard core offroaders) who bought the Jeep, sad to say, but I doubt it would even be around anymore. They sold 227,000 Jeeps last year, how many of those are buy for sylistic reasons and how many are buying it for "off-road". Everyone should be thankful there's people out there that buy the Jeep for it's looks, cause it's no doubt why it's still around. It's like saying that you buy a convertible Mustang for the "looks" but it's not really a Mustang because it's not the tried and true, solid coupe version...makes no sense.

People need to start looking at these 2 vehicles for what they really are, and truly ask themselves what does or doesn't fit with what that specific vehicle was designed for. The Wrangler prioritizes extreme off road capability, with pavement as a secondary concern. The Bronco prioritizes pavement, with off road as its secondary concern.
As for this...not sure where you get the idea that Bronco prioritizes "pavement" over off road. No promotional video or information I've read show it driving through New York city or down the interstate. 100% of the videos are it devouring boulders and smashing through sand dunes. Anyway...not a bronco vs thread lol

Competition is great. The Bronco won't dethrone the Wrangler as king of the trails, but it will certainly gobble up those who don't plan on straying off the mild trails and also the image conscious crowd.
IFS is the limitation we're all speaking of. And I guess those 5% of the time the Jeep can get over that massive boulder the Bronco will just have to find a new route. But as you say, but what your use-case dictates.

Just keep in mind that if those people who buy the Jeep for it's cool looks find something that's just as cool but has many more options and quite frankly will make their daily drive much more comfortable, those Jeep sales will go down. Wrangler may still hold the throne cause it got over that last boulder but wont do much when half their sales went to a Bronco and now they only sell 100,000 a year (Mustang's sell approx 100,000/yr, Ford keeps this around for obvious reasons). FCA...do they even care enough to keep Jeep around? I dunno what will happen if they don't sell enough....

candelz

First Name
Candelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I still don’t think it’s going to happen, but quite honestly even if it does, I’m out and into a Bronco.

Some of us want so much more out of Wrangler than FCA taking the cheap way out and slapping the biggest engine they have laying around in it. This doesn’t accomplish the goal of delivering buyers a better Wrangler. There are so many more things that need attention.

Here’s what I want to see FCA do to make Wrangler a better product:
  • Better top options
  • Better doorless driving options
  • Better powertrain options (NOT the Hemi)
  • Better technology (Uconnect5)
  • Better steering and handling
  • Fix the annoying details they got wrong like rain gutters that dump water inside the cabin when doors open
  • More suspension and tire options
  • Better color options
  • More real accessories rather than the vaporware Mopar promised at launch.
  • A better service experience
  • Fix the quality and build inconsistencies
This is by no means exhaustive, but it’s real change and real upgrades that appeal to a wider range of buyers than a V8. The 392 isn’t quite slapping lipstick on a pig, but it’s close. I’ll wait until mid-cycle refresh before any decisions are made, but unless Jeep actually makes meaningful improvements, I’ll be looking at a Bronco Wildtrak.
Can you imagine a 392 with this garbage steering? It is going to be death trap lol.
Fixing the tremendously terrible steering and adding more standard features would probably have kept more customers. Every little bell and whistle is a ridiculously priced option.

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We don’t even know what Bronco will and won’t be capable of, and they are already planning to drop a 5.0 in it?

Pffft...!

PS - the 392 is conservatively rated at 485 HP/485 lbs. on Dodge Challenger and Charger. A 450/450 392 HEMI would seem detuned, likely to take regular gas.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
The fact that this thread has generated 17 pages already tells me that Jeep's concept marketing is working, whether we *need* a 392 or not. It was created to generate hype and talk about the brand. Companies like Nvidia do not release $2500 Titan RTX graphics cards, or Intel with its $900 i9 processors because they will sell high volume. They release such products to create hype and talk about the brand. Press outlets love high end products, so once people start reading about it and looking at what more "reasonable" offerings the company has, this then generates sales. Not sales directly from the top end product, but sales because of product hype and recognition.

With that said, I will be happy to take my manual 3.6 when it arrives. If I want the rush of a V8, I'll hop in my GTO.

I do hope that Jeep takes notice of what Ford does right with the Bronco and incorporates it in with their next platform refresh. This is how the end user wins, unlike when products sit stagnant for lack of competition (like how we were stuck with Internet Explorer 5.x for years).

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Hopefully they make it and people who want one can opt to buy one, sure they can engineer with parts bin stuff they already have. HP75, use a beefed up t-case, slap some brembo brakes they already have, engineer the cooling, done this with the 5.9 back in the day etc. the when Ford tries a V8 , slap 6.2 in it!

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Give us those half doors at least.

No way they can achieve the claimed sub-5 second 0-60 time with 37s... maybe 60 km/h :LOL:

Well FCA does it the other way... they release what should only be a concept (Hellcats, TrackHawks, etc.)
damn thing will just flip over on its side.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.