First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
If they are willing to add the HEMI, it should be an upgrade package for everything from sport up.
Locking it into a Rubicon so they can sell it for 80k+ is trash.
sure, have the Rubicon as the Flagship poster Jeep for the 392
392 package.
HEMI
Hood
Red leather optional
Wide D44s, locked, open, LSD rear/locked front options
Choice of gearing from 3.73 up.
Optional Electronic sway bar disco
Optional Lift from 2-3.5
Optional 33,35 or 37" tires subject to lift and trim option
MAKE THE HALF DOORS AN OPTION ON EVERY WRANGLER DAMNIT
Make it an escalating package starts at 12k and goes up from there.

I personally have no interest in it...450 HP gets me in trouble or DEAD.
325hp/400tq would be nice though for the street and trails.

They will price it out of 90% of customers price range and maybe sell a few thousand if it happens.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If they are willing to add the HEMI, it should be an upgrade package for everything from sport up.
392 package.
HEMI
Hood
Red leather optional
Optional Lift from 2-3.5

They will price it out of 90% of customers price range and maybe sell a few thousand if it happens.
I would say 99% of customers. I’m just thinking how much will be required with dropping a 392 in a Wrangler. New axles, driveshafts, control arms, just to name a few things.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
392 package.
HEMI
Hood
Red leather optional
Optional Lift from 2-3.5

They won’t want to make too many as it will screw up CAFE #. If we get a blue wave in Nov I suspect it can’t happen.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
They won’t want to make too many as it will screw up CAFE #. If we get a blue wave in Nov I suspect it can’t happen.
I suspect that the 4xe will be looked at to offset the Hemi.

After all, the head of powertrains was uncommonly honest last year.

www.thedetroitbureau.com/2019/06/exclusive-fca-has-big-news-coming-in-electrification/

There’s still no clear indication consumers are demanding electrified products, said Bly, especially in the U.S., but the need to move forward, anyway, is driven by two words: “government compliance.”

As for the U.S., even if the Trump Administration rolls back the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standards, Bly expects that FCA and its rivals will still need to turn to battery-based drivetrains moving forward.

Meanwhile, he stressed, it is no longer effective to craft different drivetrain technologies for individual markets. FCA needs a broad and cohesive global approach.
They're forced to do it regardless of what consumers demand. And electrification will offset the V8s that consumers still want.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Part of the reason why this thing probably needs to be $80K+ is because FCA buys a whole lot of regulatory credits (from companies like Tesla). Gotta pass that cost on.

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I keep wondering about those factory bead lock rims that are on this concept. Most systems are not SAE compliant, which is why so many aftermarket ones are sold as "off road use only", so it makes me curious if they will actually make it out of the concept stage.

As for the 392, I'm with others in that this is a stop-gap for the turbo I6. This move obviously puts some attention back on the Wrangler and will help upscale the model lineup with a new "special" edition.

Sadly I lost interest when the article said it would only be paired with an auto. And the execs say they listen to the customers... I guess the manual enthusiest base is too small to cater towards anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they not only launched the JL with one, but improved it over the JK. But after the initial launch, no other engine choices were offered with one.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
The cost to federalize the powertrain combo would far outweigh any cost-benefit from offering it for sale. Profit is the name of the game and like it or not manuals just aren't a profit center.

Sadly I lost interest when the article said it would only be paired with an auto. And the execs say they listen to the customers... I guess the manual enthusiest base is too small to cater towards anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they not only launched the JL with one, but improved it over the JK. But after the initial launch, no other engine choices were offered with one.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Flagship, blah, marketing, blah. Point is it's not practical and they'd sell so few it's not even a good move. As others have said, It's just a ploy to draw attention away from a fresh new offering from the competition ...the Bronco, which has many of the Rubicon "options" as standard in a base Bronco...anyway, who cares about that.

Flagship or not, we'll use the Raptor as an example. I highly doubt that Ford sells nearly 1,000,000 F150's a year because of their "flagship" F150 Raptor. They sell that many because it's an F150, and people and construction like and rely on them. Not to mention Ford continuously upgrades and re-designs their cash cow. Ford would be nowhere without the F150. Which doesn't make it a comparable product to Jeep but F150 is to Ford, what Jeep is to well I guess Jeep...Wrangler is their "flagship" product.

To say that this mystical unicorn 392 is gonna cast a spell over the whole Jeep lineup and magic fairy dust will fall upon all Jeeps is somewhat delusional. lol...as I've said previously...just like a Jeep for a Jeep (as I do), the 392 is not the saviour and more PRACTICAL options (which everyone would be interested in), more choices and fix EXISTING Jeep issues is the way to compete. And marketing only works so well when it can apply to a vast majority of people. I rarely, if EVER, see a Raptor add, I always see F150 ads. I'd be willing to put money down that probably 75-80% of the people who have F150s even thought about or knew that the Raptor existed before purchasing. Hell, I tell people I have a GT350R...they say oh, a Mustang...they have no clue, but they know a Mustang. Yes, the GT350 maybe has helped Ford sell a few more Mustangs, but Ford sets out on these pursuits because they want to offer something unique to their customers and a nod to their heritage.

It's like, Ford says, "here it is Ford fans, the new Bronco you've been waiting for for like 25 years, look at all the cool features and new, fresh design with power options and new flashy colours"

Jeep: "Forget about the Bronco, come buy our massive 6.4L 392 motor for $80K, it's a big motor...Bronco can't stand a chance with our Jeep having so much power" ...that is if the Jeep makes it to the trail in the first place. With that much power, Jeep will be going pretty damn fast before most will even realize how fast they're going...

Explorer sales are similar to Wrangler sales...nothing else to really challenge the Wrangler right now, so it's just for comparison. If they can sell that many Explorers I feel there will be that or more interest in the Bronco or Bronco Sport (as this is kind of between an Escape and an Explorer...I feel like one or both will be discontinued eventually if the Bronco succeeds). And if they even sell 100,000 Broncos that's is nearly half of ALL Wrangler sales for the year.

So, I'm not saying Bronco is better or anything like that. I'm saying Jeep needs to step up and not just by offering a 392 motor, they need more.

I know this is not a Bronco vs Wrangler thread, I'm simply outlining the competition and that the 392 doesn't seem like a good play...

Ford Explorer Sales:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/ford-explorer-sales-figures/

Wrangler Sales:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/jeep-wrangler-sales-figures/

F series sales by year
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/ford-f-series-sales-figures/

Yearsold

Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
A lot of you seem to really be stuck on this $80k price prediction. I guess that is possible, but realistically why would this engine add $20k in costs? The 5.7 in the truck is only $1500 option over the 3.6.

Jeep could just as easily, put a red interior, some Fox shocks, the 5.7, and some 35 inch tires into a much cheaper package

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
A lot of you seem to really be stuck on this $80k price prediction. I guess that is possible, but realistically why would this engine add $20k in costs? The 5.7 in the truck is only $1500 option over the 3.6.

Jeep could just as easily, put a red interior, some Fox shocks, the 5.7, and some 35 inch tires into a much cheaper package
Who knows really, I just quoted that cause others think that...kinda irrelevant cause it's just a concept...

I think others have got to that because of the diesel pricing. But with that hemi you're not only getting more torque you're getting what? 80% more horsepower? MAJOR suspension upgrades required, but others who have converted would know more. And those "others" may be a lot more "responsible" than most..just saying. You don't invest $30K into a Hemi conversion and drive your Wrangler like a maniac.

R

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about you but 99.9% of my driving is done on the road, not the trail. I love the trails and the Wrangler is a rockstar there, but let's be real. The Wrangler's shortcomings are evident where most people drive their vehicles - the road. I was willing to make compromises when Wrangler was the only product in the segment. Not so much anymore now that there are choices.

As I've said before, it's Jeep's turn to show us what they have by way of meaningful improvements.
So, you expect Jeep to water down the Wrangler to compete for who looks the most bad ass in a parking lot?

The Wrangler was primarily designed to access places that no other daily driver could come close to reaching. With every successive generation they continue to improve its on road manners, without sacrificing offroad capability, because they know full well that paved miles will be higher than the unpaved.

Every vehicle segment comes with advantages and disadvantages. Buyers, who exercise due diligence, choose a specific segment and the compromises that come with it because it fits their lifestyle and intended use.

Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more common for "due diligence", "compromise", and concern towards "fitting ones lifestyle and use" to get back seated by ones concern over their public image. That's proven by every mention made about how little time one may spend off road. That's further proven by every advocate of having double the amount of weatherstripping and potential for leaks, because the lighter than previous hardtop is still too daunting of a task to remove. That's just a couple examples of the result of someone who made a poor decision in what vehicle they purchased, all because public image was at the top of their priority list.

People need to start looking at these 2 vehicles for what they really are, and truly ask themselves what does or doesn't fit with what that specific vehicle was designed for. The Wrangler prioritizes extreme off road capability, with pavement as a secondary concern. The Bronco prioritizes pavement, with off road as its secondary concern.

Competition is great. The Bronco won't dethrone the Wrangler as king of the trails, but it will certainly gobble up those who don't plan on straying off the mild trails and also the image conscious crowd.

I hope the Bronco succeeds in its realistic arena. My wife reserved one and I'm happy to see her happy and excited. It's also sparked a new found interest in her joining me on future adventures. I guess it was just a matter of getting her into her own driver's seat.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

392 is a different beast than the 5.7. Also, adding a v8 to the truck is less expensive than adding a v8 to a Jeep due to dimensions of the vehicle and supporting requirements for cooling/safety. So there's certainly added cost. Also, brakes need to likely be larger as well, and likely the 8 speed needs to be the HD version, which adds quite a bit of cost as the existing one is not rated to the torque of a 6.4.

Figure:
- $4000 for the cost of the engine upgrade.
- $1000 for the transmission change.
- $2000 in cooling/fitment changes.
- $1000 in increased brake size.
- $1500 in suspension changes.
- $500 for the tire differences.
- $1000 upgraded wheels (likely will be wider, could see beadlocks given Bronco option).
- $1000 for the upgraded interior

I dunno... I guess it still doesn't get to $20k and the above numbers are probably on the conservative side (i.e., too high). Maybe a $15k package?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.