DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Three locking diffs is serious business. Just want to pick your brain (anyone else’s as well) for a second - do you think the 4dr will sell more than the 2dr?

The 2dr seems enormous.
The 4 door will outsell the 2 door probably 3 to 1. I think it will mirror what you see with jeep. I LOVE the 2 door but with kids, there is just no way. Plus, as I get older (and was more able to afford a more expensive vehicle) I seem to carry more and more gear, making the 4 door more appealing. But there is nothing like a 2 door on tight trails, for sure. I had a YJ for 10 years and really miss its ability to navigate tight places. The JLU is much better at it than the JKU, though, so there's that.

Remember with 3 locking diffs all that third one is is the transfer case. In all Jeeps except the Selectrac, you can call the 3rd differential locked. It can't be unlocked. Selectrac offers the option of locked or unlocked, so it could be marketed as having 3 locking differentials. So that really is marketing hype, although technically true. The real big deal is the locking front/rear. Jeep has had that since the first Rubicon, and the aftermarket gave it to us long, long before that.

I think their best feature is 35" tires from the factory. You'll see that on Rubicons soon, I guarantee you. But can the Bronco fit 37's as Jeeps routinely do? We'll see.

The braking inside rear wheel feature is interesting, but I honestly can't think of too many times where I felt that would have done much for me. It depends on the terrain and tightness of the trail. I suspect on very muddy terrain it might help, but on Drummond Island two weeks ago, conditions would have been perfect for it, but I never needed it. I honestly think it is more of a gimmick with maybe some very slight usefulness in very peculiar situations. In the videos I've seen, my JLUR would have had no problem following that Bronco everywhere it went, even around the tight turn. In fact, I think it would have made that part of the trail/turn in 2 wheel drive, with ease. But it looked good on video! That feature will be more effective with marketing than on the trail, at least from my experience. YMMV, though.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
They did it because it was easy to do and steal some thunder from Ford´s big day. It is competition.
That's exactly my point. The 392 doesn't add any competition whatsoever as long as it has the word "concept" attached to it in a tiny font. They should have left that part out and just mentioned it briefly as the fine print at the bottom of the screen. It looks sloppily disingenuous and damn near desperate. If they can pull it off, and I hope they do, that'd be fantastic. Unfortunately, any Hemi Wrangler is a "boy who cried wolf" story at this point because we kept asking for years and Jeep kept telling us no.

I totally get and agree with what you're saying. It's just kinda laughable their response is with a potential product, not an actual one. Their answer to the Bronco isn't to show what Jeep has been successfully doing on its own, but to say, "Oh yeah? Well, we could come out with this! ...Maybe!"

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
That's exactly my point. The 392 doesn't add any competition whatsoever as long as it has the word "concept" attached to it in a tiny font. They should have left that part out and just mentioned it briefly as the fine print at the bottom of the screen. It looks sloppily disingenuous and damn near desperate. If they can pull it off, and I hope they do, that'd be fantastic. Unfortunately, any Hemi Wrangler is a "boy who cried wolf" story at this point because we kept asking for years and Jeep kept telling us no.

I totally get and agree with what you're saying. It's just kinda laughable their response is with a potential product, not an actual one. Their answer to the Bronco isn't to show what Jeep has been successfully doing on its own, but to say, "Oh yeah? Well, we could come out with this! ...Maybe!"
Yup. Nobody here is discounting what the Jeep can do and what it's capable of it's just how this was approached. I know the Jeep is good, but the Bronco is also good as DanW has stated. Whether the Bronco succeeds, who knows.

Personally, I feel it will succeed, but other Ford products will begin to be cut...I actually don't get their lineup right now...with all the Bronco trims, they definitely are overlapping. Escape, Explorer (maybe not so, since it's huge), there's another small SUV too lol, dunno the name.

Anyway, DanW has it very well put.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

If you look at it that way, then there is no competition because there is no Bronco, as you won't be able to buy one for a long time.

But the reality is, right now, there IS competition. It is for attention. From the looks of all the talk in media and social media, they made sure that while Ford had their big day, nobody would forget about Jeep. Mission accomplished.

It can also serve another purpose. It can measure the level of interest and excitement. If it is enough, they'll build it.

This is all fun for us off-roaders and enthusiasts. Because even if you don't go for the Bronco, the Wrangler will be improved and upgraded. And at some point, there will be downward pricing pressure, too. Not to mention we will have a choice between two exceptional off-roaders with features that are just plain FUN (removable doors/tops) that even Range Rover can't touch.

As we type this, Jeep simply can't produce enough Wranglers. So maybe you are right. There is no competition.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
If you look at it that way, then there is no competition because there is no Bronco, as you won't be able to buy one for a long time.

But the reality is, right now, there IS competition. It is for attention. From the looks of all the talk in media and social media, they made sure that while Ford had their big day, nobody would forget about Jeep. Mission accomplished.

It can also serve another purpose. It can measure the level of interest and excitement. If it is enough, they'll build it.

This is all fun for us off-roaders and enthusiasts. Because even if you don't go for the Bronco, the Wrangler will be improved and upgraded. And at some point, there will be downward pricing pressure, too. Not to mention we will have a choice between two exceptional off-roaders with features that are just plain FUN (removable doors/tops) that even Range Rover can't touch.

As we type this, Jeep simply can't produce enough Wranglers. So maybe you are right. There is no competition.
I don't know about no competition. Just because the Bronco isn't released yet doesn't mean it's not competition. I have a Rubi order AND I have reserved a Bronco. Once I get more info I am then deciding which I'll choose. Hell, I may cancel my Rubi order if Jeep starts surprising me with new features I'd want on my Rubi lol.

Now, mostly it's been Jeep OR Bronco. Black/White. Lets leave out the others cause well, I just don't like them haha. Anyway, it's really not 392 or V6 Turbo, or I4 turbo, whatever, it's about choice, and now not only do we have choices with what we put on our Jeep we have a new choice, a completely different design from a different manufacturer. 392 or not, Bronco has adds a new perspective and a very different design. Some like the classic, cool, rugged (depending on options and what you slap on it) Jeep design, while some may like the rugged, aggressiveness of the Bronco. And like me, I like both! And it's a super hard decision which to go with...and I bet it's going to get even harder once Ford begins to release more info and Jeep will hopefully respond with new options!

Haha, I guess that's what "competition" is all about :)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Oh, there's definitely going to be some competition, but Jeep should respond to the Bronco with what they already have. The JL is a great vehicle. The Gladiator is awesome, too. Show some actual pride in your existing product. This has been a problem with Jeep for a very long time, especially at the dealership and almost exclusively at the service level: not standing behind your vehicles. I don't give two shits about what Jeep might do for me tomorrow. I want to know what they can do for me today, especially while the Bronco isn't yet available. When you buy a $50k vehicle, you want to feel you've been taken care of and that the manufacturer has your back. I can't speak for Ford, but Jeep, FCA, and Chrysler before them have never been good at this. Ever.

Consumer confidence isn't just influenced by what you're capable of doing, but by the history what you have been doing. And we all know FCA has a history of not taking care of its customers. A 392 Wrangler would be great. A Jeep dealership that'll stand behind a product you use as intended would be even better. No, they don't need to cover absolutely stupid shit people do their Jeeps or cover non-OEM products, but they also don't need to reject warranty service just because you have a scratch on a control arm or because the service tech doesn't know WTF he's doing.

That's just my view and largely biased because the Jeep dealerships in my city are, for the most part, utterly worthless. And while I don't dismiss the idea of a 392 Wrangler being absolutely fucking awesome, I think Jeep could've easily made a marketing video of all the events they participate in, shots of enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts wheeling their Jeeps in stunningly amazing places, and accomplished the same goal with promoting their brand without having to use language and font sizes that offer no guarantees or promises.

jimbobbeg

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I sold a nice low mileage '95 Bronco Eddie Bauer a few years ago. In retrospect, it was a huge mistake. I began waiting to buy the new Bronco back in 2017 when FORD said it was coming. Last year I got tired of waiting and ordered a JLUR, Jack. I'm completely happy with the decision. I love my Jeep. Just ask my wife!

Now that new the Bronco is here (kinda), I'll hold judgment until I see it in person and drive it. In reality with another CoVid flair up or two, the Bronco is a year away before they're available in numbers. Why do you think Ford is taking $100 refundable deposits a year in advance? Competition is good for all involved. Jeep is on notice and they have time to react.

I believe the 392 Hemi will happen. It's not that much of a stretch. Rubicon axles, small lift, larger wheels and tires, suspension upgrade, and hopefully better brakes. The price difference between a Charger/Challenger 3.6 and 5.7 is about $4000 or so. I'd guess the 6.2 and associated upgrades would be about a $7-8000 bump in price. And given the discounts available on Wranglers, I don't expect you'll be paying much past the mid-50s for a 392. Given the perceived popularity of the new Bronco, significant discounts are at least a couple of years away. The second-year Bronco will likely offer the 400hp 3.0 twin-turbo, maybe third-year if initial sales are really strong. Keep 'em waiting!

Jeep has a lot of thought in this 392. Notice the detuned 450hp version of the 6.2 compared to the 475-485hp found in the cars. No manual tranny seems to indicate that they've been testing this drivetrain for a while. In reality, I can throw on a Magnuson S/C and have 450hp right now without a lot of concern for the driveline.

I don't expect to go back to the "other" side. Only time will tell.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Introduces New 6.4-liter V-8 Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept 20200704_122243

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would've been great if Aaron Paul said "Yeah, bitch!" at the end of the 392 video.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
A big V8 in the Wrangler. Bronco and Defender are coming back.

Is anyone else pessimistic enough to think that this means a recession must be around the corner?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Better safe than sorry.

Judging by the results of that poll on another thread, almost 2/3 of JL owners are planning to stick with Jeep over Bronco. Those numbers are less a reflection of Bronco and more a reflection of Jeep’s legendary owner loyalty.
The poll is not accurate - this site is frequented by wrangler enthusiasts not the average wrangler buyer. The one area where Wrangler could compete is on price. The wrangler is a high margin product...plenty of room for competitive pricing if they choose to do so. I fully expect there will be low cost lift and tire options coming with a choice of gears. In 2012 4.10s were an extremely cheap option until price gouging commenced as popularity grew with the 3.6 jk. The delta between bigger tires, gears, and springs vs original equipment would be very small and Jeep could offer such with only minimal markup...making Jeep a stronger competitor. FCA could become a victim of their own corporate greed if they don’t enhance the value proposition...in a serious way.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Come on so i can order one already!!!!!!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.