JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
Updated with video:

Jeep® Introduces New 6.4-liter V-8 Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept

jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept.jpg

• Jeep® Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept’s V-8 engine amps up Jeep fun-to-drive quotient and Trail Rated 4x4 capability
  • 6.4-liter V-8 engine with 392 cubic inches of displacement results in 450 horsepower,450 lb.-ft. of torque and a 0-60 mph time of less than five seconds
  • The Jeep brand’s exclusive Trail Rated criteria have been enhanced with the Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept
  • Unmatched 4x4 capability courtesy of added torque, Dana 44 axles, full-time two-speed transfer case, electric front- and rear-axle lockers, 37-inch mud-terrain tires and a Jeep Performance Parts two-inch factory lift kit
  • Robust eight-speed transmission, massive low-end torque and 3.73 gear ratio combine to deliver improved on-road performance and greater off-road capability
  • Two-mode exhaust alters performance sound at touch of a button
  • Custom exterior design features half doors, Granite Crystal paint and Bronze-colored accents on tow hooks, springs, shocks, wheels and badging
  • Unique interior features Red Rock-colored leather seats with gold stitching and a performance steering wheel
July 13, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The last time the most recognizable vehicle on the planet was offered with a V-8 engine was in the 1981 Jeep® CJ, with its 5.0-liter V-8 that delivered 125 horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. of torque.

Jeep enthusiasts have been clamoring for a V-8-powered production Wrangler in recent years and the new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept is an indication they may soon get their wish.

The Jeep brand has introduced its new Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept, powered by a 6.4-liter (392-cubic-inch) V-8 engine that delivers 450 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque, and a 0-60 mph time of less than five seconds. Dana 44 axles, a full-time two-speed transfer case, electric front and rear axle lockers, 37-inch mud-terrain tires and a Jeep Performance Parts two-inch lift kit from Mopar combine with suspension enhancements, a more robust eight-speed transmission and the massive V-8 power plant to deliver the ultimate fun-to-drive Jeep vehicle with more off-road capability than ever in a Jeep Wrangler.

“Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts have been asking us for a Wrangler V-8 and our new Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept proves that we have the ability to make that happen,” said Jim Morrison, Head of Jeep Brand – FCA North America. “From the recently introduced 29-mpg Wrangler EcoDiesel to our award-winning Jeep Gladiator, and the upcoming Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, Jeep is clearly listening to its customers. We are anxious to gauge their reaction to this new Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept, a vehicle that delivers an incredible and unmatched level of fun-to-drive performance and capability, on- and off-road.”

Power, performance and capability on- and off-road
To accommodate its 6.4-liter V-8 engine and a stronger eight-speed transmission, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept features upgraded engine mounts and a modified frame. Suspension upgrades include new aluminum, monotube Fox shocks for improved damping and heat dissipation. A two-mode exhaust alters the performance sound at the touch of a button.

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept boasts even more capability courtesy of third-generation Dana 44 axles, a Selec-Track full-time two-speed transfer case, Tru-Lok electric front- and rear-axle locking differentials and 37-inch mud-terrain tires that wrap around custom 17-inch beadlock wheels that hold the tires to the rims under extreme lateral loads, allowing for reduced tire pressure operation and added traction.

A factory Jeep Performance Parts two-inch lift kit from Mopar makes way for additional suspension articulation and improved approach, breakover and departure angles. The Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept also features Rubicon rock rails, steel bumpers with a Warn winch and a steel belly pan – all added to help navigate the toughest off-road terrains.

The more robust eight-speed automatic transmission and full-time 4x4 transfer case improve overall drivability, and massive amounts of low-end torque allow for a 3.73 gear ratio, which delivers improved highway efficiency and a greater range of off-road capability.

Enhanced Jeep Trail Rated capability
The Jeep brand boasts several Trail Rated criteria, which are improved on the Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept, specifically:
  • Traction is improved courtesy of 450 lb.-ft. of torque and custom 17-inch beadlock wheels
  • A factory Jeep Performance Parts two-inch lift kit and 37-inch tires combine to improve articulation and contribute to unprecedented levels of water fording capability (34 inches) and ground clearance (13.25 inches), as well as improved approach (51.6 degrees), breakover (29.5 degrees) and departure (40.1 degrees) angles.
Unique, custom design inside and out
The new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept features Granite Crystal exterior paint adorned with Bronze accentuated tow hooks, badging, springs, shocks and wheels, while featuring a heavy-duty raised performance hood with an aggressive appearance, custom half doors and Wrangler’s Sky One-touch powertop, with removable side panels for complete open-air freedom.

Inside, the Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept features rich Red Rock-colored leather bolstered seats with gold stitching, along with a performance steering wheel.

jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept_100752123_h-3.jpg

jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-concept.jpg
no manual transmission. Short-sighted.

this should be an enthusiast vehicle
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
TL;DR: HAHAHA BIG JEEP GO VRRROOOOM

What I Like:
392 Hemi V8
37's
Red Leather interior

What I don't like:
Color scheme
wheels
Sky Top (I want a regular dual top)
Half doors only (they should be an option)
AWD transfer case (I don't want it, I don't need it, I do not care, just gimme a Rock Track 4:1 w/ 2wd/4hi/4lo please)

I have no idea where people are getting the "Desperate" vibe from. This is Marketing Wars 101. Bronco talked some MASSIVE shit, some of it seriously towing the line of "false advertising" with all the best in class claims- unless Bronco is technically in a different class than Wrangler, OR, they're comparing different models.

A factory 392 option also means swaps could likely be simpler in the future... in which case... YES.
Also: Random thought: Correct me if I'm wrong, but AEV stopped doing Brute conversions, right? Are they still doing Hemi Conversions? I've noticed a shift in their marketing to accessories in the last couple years (Wheels, armor, suspension).. wondering if this is why.

The one and only unfortunate part of this ...I can’t see this being any less then $80,000
Unfortunately, I agree. I think that's the only way anything like this gets to production is that a premium price is attached. I said it elsewhere last week: The People clamoring for a V8 Wrangler with 37's are the same ones who will then bitch when it's $80k, and half of them won't even likely use it/ consider buying it anyway. I'm not saying I want to pay $80k for it, what I am saying is that unfortunately, this might be the cost of doing business for projects like this.
Now, about the better, longer warranty, and Dealer Experience...
lol This is rich. I'd love for them to change it but based on my most recent experience, I don't think anyone at FCA is even remotely interested in changing things, If they were, they would have some sort of mechanism to give direct feedback outside of customer service, which they don't.
450 is pretty weak too in today's market. If it isn't a Hellcat engine nobody cares anymore. The Ram TRX is going to have one, why can't the Wrangler?
Because a Hellcat drivetrain in a production wrangler is not practical; It's just trail bling. You wouldn't be able to use all that power off road without destroying a drive train, and on the street? It'd be a nightmare. Idiots would end up on their lid and Chrysler would end up with a load of lawsuits because people are really dumb and think 4x4's need to be the same as muscle cars/ hot rods. They don't- different vehicles for different purposes. A V8 (or similar option) would give the JL Platform a little more muscle behind it's heft. A Hellcat motor would be kind of crazy.
"Selec-Track full-time two-speed transfer case"? Did they misspell "Track" or is it a different transfer case?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is an AWD/4Low case? If so- HARD PASS.

All I want is a 5.7, factory D60's, the ability to run 40's with a 3.5" lift, and a tailgate that can mount a 40 spare.
How about a diesel 2 door, why is that impossible?
The answer to both is the take rate is/ would be insanely low. Again, I don't disagree, but the numbers would not justify setting up another assembly line/ tooling for another variant, I'm guessing. I love my 4 door for my current situation, but if my kids were older, or we didn't have kids? I would have went 2 door.

As far as previous posters bragging about owning a tricked out Rubicon and never going off road, I don't get it. Really.
Younger generation I guess.
I've seen the opposite: the amount of 50+ aged bros who have traded in their bro-dozer trucks for a lifted rubicon so they can take the doors and top off and drive around thinking they look cool on a $500 lift and $3k worth of rims is astounding. You'd think for being older they'd have a little more sense but I guess not. I'm not trying to be a dick, but we all know these people- I can spot them a mile away and yes- I'm laughing at you. Not because you don't go off road, but because you actually made the call to spend $500 on a lift that rides and handles like garbage and $3k on some fancy wheels.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I think the only thing that might come out of this concept and into actually production would be the half doors, the hood, and red leather interior. And maybe the color if it's new, but I can't really tell from the picture.

Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat CC - Volvo XC70 - Ducati Monster 900 carbs - Ducati Hypermotard - Ducati Panigale -
Occupation
self employed
Damn too late .... Ford revealed the new Bronco ... and damn they did a fucking great Job
No V8 in the lineup but the 2.7 ecoboost will do the job .

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Except it isn't a 10 year old concept, and it's not just a concept- According to this article, it's happening. They already have 30 of them in Toledo. That doesn't just happen for a concept.

It is Marketing 101. Ford took shots at Jeep in their video. Jeep knew it was coming, and so they dropped this 392. And it worked like a charm, because here we are discussing the 392 Wrangler vs. Bronco. This has nothing to do with "running scared" and everything to do with industry competition- which is standard. If anything, it's Jeep saying "Welcome back- you want our market share? You're going to have to earn it". The irony of this of course is it will likely be earned through better support and QC than some of us have seen with Jeep.

I still don't get the whole "OOHH BRONCO IS BESTING WRANGLER" hype. It seems like people are just pissed at FCA or are Ford fans. I get it on both fronts but if anything, they're close. We still haven't seen any long term trail time/ testing of Bronco and it will be a while before we start getting owner/user feedback and analysis. JL had a rough launch but they seemed to have figured most of the stuff out. Again, this is all marketing hype that's preproduction models- same as the 392 Wrangler- which is exactly what both of these events were designed to do: get people stoked on the brand, and talking about the vehicles.

I see some innovations I want in a Wrangler (mirrors, suspension set up, Sasquatch package, vinyl seats and rubber/ washable flooring), but it honestly looks like Ford just updated the old Bronco formula- which is not a bad thing, either. Wrangler already has the other stuff. It does seem like Ford is giving a little more value with some of their packages, but I think some of the updates to the 2021 packages to wrangler might level that out.

The price range for this 392 is going to be interesting. I've wanted a Hemi-Wrangler with this set up since I was 19. I've seen a handful of Hemi swapped JK's on various magazine trips, including Ultimate Adventure. They seem to do well. Not sure if I'd be able to drop the coin on a 392, but it's definitely got me thinking more about engine swapping my Jeep at some point. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have zero interest in a Turbo 6 or whatever. Maybe if it's a diesel, but I spent a lot of years in 4.0L TJ's and that engine was perfect- torquey, simple, and reliable. It's a shame they couldn't carry it over to the new Gen Jeeps- because regardless of how much hp/tq you can get- none of it matters if it breaks down on the trail, miles from pavement, and you can't get it running again.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Guess Jeep has been jolted a little with this Bronco launch. Below screenshots are from their US Home Page. Pricing info not available yet on the hemi but I bet it will be a much more expensive premium given the fact we get 37 inch mudders, a lift kit and a newer interior.
A759C0A9-790B-4D4D-BA7E-A5BC3D3227D5.png
FBFBDAA5-9E45-4C30-ABC0-C33B76468E16.png
Smol text under the first page says "Concept vehicle only. Not available for purchase."

I already have a Wrangler, wake me up when they actually have half doors lol

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I for one hope it happens. I've been dreaming of a Hemi Swap since I have owned my current JL. As much as I may get a hair up my ass to follow through with it, it always boils down to the problem of getting it to pass BS California emissions. I cannot stomach the pain of jumping hurdles and play the smog ref games. I work to many hours to dick with a vehicle I cannot drive.. With that said, I could always register it at my sister's out of state but run the risk of getting popped. Now if Jeep released a 392, would I sell my 19 for one? Not sure. I have too much money tied into my current one and a long ways away from finishing it. At this point I rather keep it. If this concept does make production then my hopes is either a kit for a CARB approved swap is released through some type of Mopar catalog (doubtful). Or, I can find one that has been totaled I can use for a donor swap.

Either way, I hope it happens. Just give the peoples what they want. I'm glad to see some competition from another competitor.. Not to say the bronco is bad. Makes me nostalgic. My old man had a first gen bronco when I was a little kid, before he eventually picked up Jeeps in his later years. Hell after the hype maybe I'll pick one up and either replace my lady's Subaru for a two door, or dump my Honda commuter for one to daily in

For now I will just enjoy the flexing that goes on between the two manufacturers. As my buddy who is a Toyota guy said, "Ford releases the bonco, Jeep may release a 392, and Toyota is sitting there thinking that their new pro color is gonna out sell them all."

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
For those who are saying that Jeep wouldn't build a number of these if they didn't plan on producing them I'd like to remind you of the Red Rock Wrangler. A limited run of 50 were produced for the 50th anniversary of Easter Jeep Safari.

94149250.jpg

Until I see an order sheet. I will not believe that this is actually going to happen. Jeep has cried Hemi too many times before.

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
I would highly encourage those whom want the Hemi to come to fruition to start making noise about not overpricing this option. Did you see the bronco trims??? Did you see the interior dimensions (bigger than jeep 4 doors in nearly all areas), did you see the POWER the bronco makes? Did you see the VERY REASONABLE pricing compared to the wrangler options? I'm not doing this to make it seem like I'm switching sides BUT to make @JeepCares aware we are watching, and we will NOT be happy with them frivolously raising the price by an unreasonable amount b/c of "forum noise" saying they will pay whatever. Stop saying that fellow forum members...seriously stop. There needs to be objective numbers out there...

If this option costs $15k or more we will NOT be buying one, instead we will be considering the bronco period.... sorry.... just a fact.

Don't forget fca/jeep does watch these forums and if we keep saying we will pay whatever they will absolutely be ridiculous on pricing (think ford raptor higher trim package pricing), and that is unreasonable sorry.

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I would highly encourage those whom want the Hemi to come to fruition to start making noise about not overpricing this option. Did you see the bronco trims??? Did you see the interior dimensions (bigger than jeep 4 doors in nearly all areas), did you see the POWER the bronco makes? Did you see the VERY REASONABLE pricing compared to the wrangler options? I'm not doing this to make it seem like I'm switching sides BUT to make @JeepCares aware we are watching, and we will NOT be happy with them frivolously raising the price by an unreasonable amount b/c of "forum noise" saying they will pay whatever. Stop saying that fellow forum members...seriously stop. There needs to be objective numbers out there...

If this option costs $15k or more we will NOT be buying one, instead we will be considering the bronco period.... sorry.... just a fact.

Don't forget fca/jeep does watch these forums and if we keep saying we will pay whatever they will absolutely be ridiculous on pricing (think ford raptor higher trim package pricing), and that is unreasonable sorry.
Completely agree, Bronco trims are reasonably priced, I have already reserved one. If Jeep doesn't offer something better by end of this year I will go ahead with my order. I have owned 2 different JKURs from 2013 and has been waiting to see what Jeep and Ford has to offer before I pull the trigger. It was Jeep's battle to loose and so far they have been loosing... @JeepCares
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.