Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm all in omnthe 392.... I will be swapping out that 1 touch thing... not a fan also not a big fan of that new 4wd
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
You make good points in your prior post. All of this is strange. To me, it reeks of fear, rather than desperation. Jeep is still on top and "desperate" moves are usually made by someone about to lose the game. It's clear Jeep is not on the verge of losing but perhaps they are fearful of what's about to come.
They've known generally what to expect for months. Just a decent marketing department trying to take some wind out of Ford's sails. It definitely riled up the Jeep people today, I doubt the Ford side cared too much. They are too excited about the Bronco coming back.

But it would be a very FCA response. Rather than upgrading the platform, just cram a big engine in it. Seems to be working ok for the cars, people keep buying the damn things even though Ford and Chevy left them behind years ago.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Lets see if I can find all of the concept Jeeps from the past that had Hemi V8s thrown into them. Firstly is the gorgeous Hurricane. Possibly the coolest concept vehicle made by any damn company. It had 2 5.7L Hemi V8 engines shoved into it.
2005-Jeep-Hurricane-10.jpg

Then there was the "Jeep Wrangler Ultimate"
8537619.jpg

I think that "Lower Forty" was next.
911119997.jpg?crop=1xw:0.jpg

"Immortal"
ar-immortal-concept-inline-photo-339915-s-original.jpg

"Renegade"
jeep-wrangler-renegade.jpg

"Blue Crush"
blue-crush.jpg

"Wrangler Apache"
apache.jpg

"Traildozer"
mopar-jeep.jpg

"Sandtrooper"
sand-trooper-ii.jpg

"Wrangler Recon"
recon-mopar.jpg

"Quicksand"
quicksand-engine.jpg

"Trailcat"
%2F2016%2F03%2Fmopar-easter-jeep-safari-concepts-1.jpg

"Sandstorm"
cn018_003jpr192maqh5q017krcqi42sav8av.jpg

And I am fairly certain that I missed some.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Thanks Ford!

Sponsored

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I want it!! A 392 hemi would be absolutely the best! FCA please build these!!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I don't think it will ever make it production. The lawyers won't let it happen. A 392 wrangler with dana 44s and 37s just seems stupid. They tell us now we can only run 35s on the dana 44 so what makes them think we can suddenly run 37s with 2x the hp? Now if they came out with a turbo V6 with hp north of 350, that would be better suited.
Having owned a few Wranglers with V8's with varying levels of horsepower (400-1000)... I actually think it will be just fine. I have wheeled on a TJ with a tuned 5.7 and honestly... it was fine - On D44's. It actually meant less pedal. They will treat it the same... you blow it up wheeling, no warranty. Simple as that. No real different than how they treat it today. Keep in mind you can also have a larger ring gear since you don't need to gear it crazy. FWIW, the only ring gear I blew up was on a stock 3.8-- likely because I had re-geared, was on 37's and also had to use way too much pedal all the time due to the lack of torque, even with the Rubi transfer case.

I'm also doubtful it will get produced, but for other reasons (i.e., front collision, cooling, and emissions). If they do make it, my guess is they will make this painfully expensive to buy to keep CAFE numbers in check.

Gas mileage gonna be bad. Real bad. Assuming they produce few enough, and keep it as a 'package' and not a model, I'm not sure they have to get it crash tested or EPA rated? But I'm guessing mileage will be 13 city and 17 highway stock... though it might do better on 37's on the highway than a non-regeared 4 cyl or 6. My tuned 5.7 TJ with a 5 speed auto going 65 would consistently get 15-16 on 33's.

Last edited:

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I don't think it will ever make it production. The lawyers won't let it happen. A 392 wrangler with dana 44s and 37s just seems stupid. They tell us now we can only run 35s on the dana 44 so what makes them think we can suddenly run 37s with 2x the hp? Now if they came out with a turbo V6 with hp north of 350, that would be better suited.
The same lawyers that allowed the hellcat and then demon?
These lawyers are just crazy enough to let it happen.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Lol Jeep, after owning 5 Wranglers over 3 decades, I'm seriously looking at the Bronco, I never considered the new Defender, and seeing the Defender at the auto show made me realize, it's definitely not something I would buy, but this Bronco looks like it's got features I always wanted in a Wrangler.

Why didn't Jeep ever put those see thru doors into production?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Lol Jeep, after owning 5 Wranglers over 3 decades, I'm seriously looking at the Bronco, I never considered the new Defender, and seeing the Defender at the auto show made me realize, it's definitely not something I would buy, but this Bronco looks like it's got features I always wanted in a Wrangler.

Why didn't Jeep ever put those see thru doors into production?
Because they didn't have to. There really hasn't been a lot of competition. My guess is there were safety concerns, and too few people that would buy them to justify production. Ford needs something... this is GOOD for Jeep owners.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.