Not open for further replies.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Like many things, there is a middle ground that will suit many people a lot better. The 285hp/260ftlbs of the 3.6 is starting to get a bit anemic in this day and age. (Heck even the new Camry is 301 hp/265 torque) The Bronco with the 2.7 that has 325 hp and 400 torque will be an almost perfect middle ground vs the HEMI with 450/450. “Usable power” is important and there will be a lot on the Hemi you can’t use
Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
My best guess is, first this is an attempt to steal some headlines from the Bronco, which will probably steal some Wrangler sales.

Second it is preliminary work at the possibility of putting a V8 in. If it really happens it will be the 5.7 as an engine option, with maybe some other minor changes. The 5.7 with the standard 33" tires on the Rubicon should be capable of some acceptable fuel mileage while also providing the power numbers people have been begging for.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I think the 5.7 hemi would be a great motor for the wrangler. Better than the 392. If my memory serves me correctly, the HP and torque is lower in the rev range for the 5.7 compared to the 392.
It’s not an issue. I’ve driven both Challenger versions of the 5.7 and the 6.4 and the 6.4 is more... everywhere.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So torn...on one hand I have dreamed of a monster V8 in a wrangler....on the other hand, I remember how expensive a blown head gasket became on my SRT GC.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thank you, Bronco ! Now we get the V8, AND half doors ! And this is just at Broncos " launch" !
The all - electric, and plug in hybrids will average the Cafe numbers needed to support this Beast. Or just buy some more Carbon Credits from Tesla,..
Now, about the better, longer warranty, and Dealer Experience...

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Most probably this isn't just a concept and may be heading our way. But, I wonder what they are going to be doing for braking. As it is with 37" tires, the HD brake in Jeep feels lacking. Will they put bigger brakes in it and will it fit in a 17" rim properly?

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Somebody probably mentioned it earlier already, but 450 ft.lb is less than 2% more than the EcoDiesel puts out.
Almost twice the horsepower though. That’s what would break stuff.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That can be tinkered with though. Previously, the 392 was in performance vehicles where top end power is important.

But I agree - something in between my somewhat sluggish JLUR and a sub 5 second Wrangler is the sensible choice. I'm guessing the 392 Wrangler going to get 12-14MPG as well. I'm no environmentalist but even I would feel guilty about that.
I’d put money on 21-22 hwy with eco/4 cyl mode on the official epa numbers but it’ll easily do 24 mpg hwy for average owners... just like the 392 Challengers get 28-29 hwy despite being rated at 24.

Sponsored

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
As the owner of both a Scat Pack Challenger and JL Rubicon, I need this. I would no longer have the daily debate if I want to go fast or topless.

I would need to put a shaker on it though. That is the reason I bought the Challenger over the Charger.

EFFECTS.jpg

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Already have my JLR so I don't care about a v8 option. The only thing I care about are those half doors.

450 is pretty weak too in today's market. If it isn't a Hellcat engine nobody cares anymore. The Ram TRX is going to have one, why can't the Wrangler?

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I’d

I’d put money on 21-22 hwy with eco/4 cyl mode on the official epa numbers but it’ll easily do 24 mpg hwy for average owners... just like the 392 Challengers get 28-29 hwy despite being rated at 24.
That's interesting. The GC SRT, with cylinder deactivation and far superior aerodynamics, is rated at 19 highway. Why do you think that a 392 Wrangler that sits way higher off the ground, weighed down by heavier axles and far heavier tires, would be rated higher? And Car and Driver got 18mpg on its highway course.

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Moab
"Selec-Track full-time two-speed transfer case"? Did they misspell "Track" or is it a different transfer case?

Also noticed that they removed the rear window, not mentioned in the Release, but I wonder if they will eventually make that something that can be done easily on power top models.

Also, this pretty much puts to bed the idea that the Mojave Gladiator with Fox shocks can't handle the weight of the Diesel engine up front. That's still the combo I most want to see.

sledboy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Suburban, Ford Escape and Honda Civic
Like many things, there is a middle ground that will suit many people a lot better. The 285hp/260ftlbs of the 3.6 is starting to get a bit anemic in this day and age. (Heck even the new Camry is 301 hp/265 torque) The Bronco with the 2.7 that has 325 hp and 400 torque will be an almost perfect middle ground vs the HEMI with 450/450. “Usable power” is important and there will be a lot on the Hemi you can’t use
Agreed! I want something that will not struggle pulling a 3,000 lb trailer. The 3.6 is too weak. Where is the middle ground? I will never pay an extra $10,000 to $30,000 more for HP I don't need. I want something practical and doesn't cost a fortune. Ford got the numbers right with their 2.7 EccoBoost.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.