roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
T

Traditional Jeep interior is bent steel tubes with stamped steel squares and thin square pads. Very Comfortable ;)
Agree. But that was the "standard". It was a "jeep thing".

Also, the Gen1 JK is noisy as hell on the hwy.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Agree. But that was the "standard". It was a "jeep thing".

Also, the Gen1 JK is noisy as hell on the hwy.
Dads 45 mph 3A is a road hazard on the hwy but itā€™s almost as traditional as you can get šŸ˜Š

tjnies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i
Every engine I know of uses plastic timings chain guides. Do you know something I donā€™t?
To be fair, I read about the issue being plastic guides on the N20 (4 cyl turbo engines produced between 2013-15. The "official" complaint stated:

"The plaintiffs describe the primary chain as the timing chain that is used to connect the camshafts and crankshaft, causing the valves in the engineā€™s combustion chambers to open and close. But when the primary chain assembly fails, the teeth on the chain sprocket skips and the camshafts and crankshaft aren't synchronized.
The lawsuit alleges the plastic guide for the timing chain is made with a defective polycarbonate composition that causes the guide to break apart and lodge in the crankshaft drive sprocket, causing the chain to damage the engine.
As for the secondary chain, the lawsuit says it connects the oil pump and balance shaft assemblies to the crankshaft, but due to allegedly defective materials, the chain elongates and damages the sprocket."

So take that for what it's worth. My point is that the B58s (3L turbo I-6) have been in production since 2015 without issue.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This is absolutely false. I have a 2018 B58 3.0 I-6 in my X3 and it's been proven bulletproof. I realize the Six being discussed is of FCA origins, but having the current BMW I-6 would be a huge upgrade for Jeep.
Plus the BMW fuel economy is exemplary - I get 30 MPG on the highway at 80 mph. And around 23 around town even being less than careful.
But your point of having a Jeep dealer work on the BMW I-6 is well-warranted.
Tell that to the 2021 Toyota Supra owners. BMW builds the Supra for Toyota. Some of those BMW engines have severe oil consumption issues very early on. BMW is also known for VANOS issues. The VANOS solenoids are at the "back" of the B58 engine. That means a lot of labor. Expensive labor if out of warranty.

BMW engines are super smooth and powerful. The B58 is one of BMW's best. Very efficient also. Part to do with the ZF transmissions which are versions of the ZF the JL uses.

I Love how the B58 drives but would not want to own another BMW without a warranty.

How many miles on your BMW engine?

Last edited:

tjnies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i
Tell that to the 2021 Toyota Supra owners. BMW builds the Supra for Toyota. Some of those BMW engines have severe oil consumption issues very early on. BMW is also known for VANOS issues. The VANOS solenoids are at the "back" of the B58 engine. That means a lot of labor. Expensive labor if out of warranty.

BMW engines are super smooth and powerful. The B58 is one of BMW's best. Very efficient also. Part to do with the ZF transmissions which are versions of the ZF the JL uses.

I Love how the B58 drives but would not want to own another BMW without a warranty.

How many miles on your BMW engine?
I've only driven this X3 25k miles.

To check your comment on the B58 issues, I checked the 2018 + models X3, X5, and 3 series forums for VANOS issues. One person mentioned their system needed an update. No failures at all. Believe me when I say if there are problems, they don't hesitate to bash BMW.

Since you mention the Supras (which I can't comment on), I wonder if space is a contributor; an SUV has more open area? I did find an article about common B58 problems and they do reference the VANOS.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Was at the philly auto show today, no I6's in anything. Had to ask, and no body knew anything about this engine. All I got was that the V8's are on there way
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Inline 6 Engine to Debut in April 20220307_143518
out.
Guess will have to wait till next month in NY.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
As did the YJ, if we include the amended roll bar design.
They also changed from the carbureted 258 to the 4.0 in around 90 or 91.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They also changed from the carbureted 258 to the 4.0 in around 90 or 91.
Under the hood isn't a refresh. Otherwise, you'd be able to say the 392 was a "refresh". Small changes have always been there. Nothing is quite like the 2011 JK.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Under the hood isn't a refresh. Otherwise, you'd be able to say the 392 was a "refresh". Small changes have always been there. Nothing is quite like the 2011 JK.
I don't consider interior trim changes significant beyond needing to pay attention to parts compatibility. Powertrain changes are, to me, far more significant.

But yeah, the interior "refresh" of the 2011/2012 JK was more involved than anything during the YJ or TJ runs. Still, to me, the upgrade from the 3.8/42RLE to the 3.6/WA580 in 2012 is far more important of a change. Just like the YJ going from the 258/BA10-5 to the 4.0/AX15. In both cases I'd hold out for the newer engine and transmission before I let interior trim bits factor into the equation.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don't consider interior trim changes significant beyond needing to pay attention to parts compatibility. Powertrain changes are, to me, far more significant.

But yeah, the interior "refresh" of the 2011/2012 JK was more involved than anything during the YJ or TJ runs. Still, to me, the upgrade from the 3.8/42RLE to the 3.6/WA580 in 2012 is far more important of a change. Just like the YJ going from the 258/BA10-5 to the 4.0/AX15. In both cases I'd hold out for the newer engine and transmission before I let interior trim bits factor into the equation.
The JL has 5 different engine options in the same year.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wouldn't consider either of these a major change like the 2011 JK.

the interior "refresh" of the 2011/2012 JK was more involved than anything during the YJ or TJ runs
TJ got different seats, new fabric/ patterns, revised dashboard, revised gauge cluster, new steering wheel, new soft top... basically the same as JK

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I thought the Gen1 JK had a very traditional Jeep interior?
It was a step back from the TJ and YJ in my opinion. Too focused on being big and chunky as a design esthetic instead of ergonomics and classic style that can endure.
Sponsored