Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
No, it's the design of being in-line that helps the smoothness. any amount of separation into V configuration will produce some amount of imbalance.
Thought so. Thanks, good info. đź‘Ť
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Guys - Toyota went with BMW for the i6 for a few reasons:

1) The Supra designer was dead set on an i6. Nothing else would do. They wanted to maintain the legacy of a i6.

2) Toyota doesn't produce a modern i6 any longer with suitable performance.

3) The Supra will be a very low volume vehicle.

It therefore made no sense to start an engine development of a modern i6 high horsepower engine for the Supra.

So they did a deal with BMW to build them the Supra! The new Supra is a BMW Z4 except for the body and interior. The styling was Toyota.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...604/2020-bmw-z4-m40i-vs-2020-toyota-gr-supra/

This is not about a deal for an engine; it was a cross-branding deal to get a new Supra on the market.

The chances of Jeep/FCA/Stellantis licensing an i6 from BMW is 0. The volume they need to replace the V8's and other models to get the i6 easily justify their own i6 based off the 2.0L i4 with whatever changes they come up with.

Will it be as good as a BMW i6? That would be a tough one to beat but they certainly have the talent inside FCA to do it if they wanted and were given the time and investment to do so.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Or a 2.8L Cummins, haha. A guy can dream...
Some of would love such an option; but unfortunately it doesn't have the appeal to those who think a Jeep needs a ton of HP.

I'd rather have 200Hp and 500ft/lbs or torque over 500hp and 200ft/lbs of toque any day ;)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
JL's mid-cycle redesign is only months away
Is there any confirmation on this? Previous gens were not refreshed for about 10 years.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Is there any confirmation on this? Previous gens were not refreshed for about 10 years.
JK was refreshed after 5-6 years. 07-11. Some changes came in 2011 and the rest in 2012.

tjnies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i
One anecdote, especially one that's just 4 years old, does not make his statement false.
Incorrect; BMW is using the same iteration of this engine (B58) currently, which actually enhances my comment.
If you have contradictory evidence, please produce it. Or get on the BMW forums to see how many complain about this engine (spoiler - none do).

BMW is known to introduce new engineering to push the limits, which sometimes results in an unexpected failure. As do many companies. But this I-6 is an exceptional engine, likely better than Stellantis could produce from scratch.

Understand, I am a Jeep fan, and hope they kick a$$ in the future. But to blast BMW is unqualified, especially when there'e no evidence they will supply the new Jeep I-6. But I would hope this is the new Jeep engine. You will all be praising it in short order.

tjnies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i
Guys - Toyota went with BMW for the i6 for a few reasons:

1) The Supra designer was dead set on an i6. Nothing else would do. They wanted to maintain the legacy of a i6.

2) Toyota doesn't produce a modern i6 any longer with suitable performance.

3) The Supra will be a very low volume vehicle.

It therefore made no sense to start an engine development of a modern i6 high horsepower engine for the Supra.

So they did a deal with BMW to build them the Supra! The new Supra is a BMW Z4 except for the body and interior. The styling was Toyota.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...604/2020-bmw-z4-m40i-vs-2020-toyota-gr-supra/

This is not about a deal for an engine; it was a cross-branding deal to get a new Supra on the market.

The chances of Jeep/FCA/Stellantis licensing an i6 from BMW is 0. The volume they need to replace the V8's and other models to get the i6 easily justify their own i6 based off the 2.0L i4 with whatever changes they come up with.

Will it be as good as a BMW i6? That would be a tough one to beat but they certainly have the talent inside FCA to do it if they wanted and were given the time and investment to do so.
Well-written. But I'll say again, you all will be singing the praises of this engine should it come to pass.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well-written. But I'll say again, you all will be singing the praises of this engine should it come to pass.
The BMW i6 is a fantastic engine! It really is an awesome piece of engineering. I absolutely love driving anything it is in. Even it’s i4 version is pretty awesome as used in the Mini JCW and X2 (300Hp version, the 180Hp version is also good).

I just don’t see Stellantis going that direction due to volume, intended vehicles (some BMW competition), selling price, etc, etc.

Sponsored

tjnies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 M40i
LOL, as noted. But take with a grain of salt someone who suggests one anecdote vs a whole forum.

Trust me, if it weren't a great engine, the BMW forums would be alight in negative comments.
As evidence I give you the prior-version turbo I4 engine in the (circa 2014) X3s. I owned one, although had zero issues. While a pretty decent engine, it had timing chain guides made of plastic, which would eventually disintegrate with catastrophic results. It is well-documented in the forums. Nothing negative has been reported throughout all the BMW forums on the current B58 I-6.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Only the JK ever had a “mid cycle refresh” and somehow people cling to that like it’s somehow a tradition. The JK’s interior was just garbage on release and needed overhaul.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
LOL, as noted. But take with a grain of salt someone who suggests one anecdote vs a whole forum.

Trust me, if it weren't a great engine, the BMW forums would be alight in negative comments.
As evidence I give you the prior-version turbo I4 engine in the (circa 2014) X3s. I owned one, although had zero issues. While a pretty decent engine, it had timing chain guides made of plastic, which would eventually disintegrate with catastrophic results. It is well-documented in the forums. Nothing negative has been reported throughout all the BMW forums on the current B58 I-6.
Every engine I know of uses plastic timings chain guides. Do you know something I don’t?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Only the JK ever had a “mid cycle refresh” and somehow people cling to that like it’s somehow a tradition. The JK’s interior was just garbage on release and needed overhaul.
I thought the Gen1 JK had a very traditional Jeep interior?