Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
We just have to make our gear less appealing to the ne'er-do-wells. ;)
… or return to the days when ne’er-do-wells were dealt with promptly and harshly.

A friend of ours spent two years living on a 60’ trimaran with his family. Hundreds of incredible experiences and half a dozen terrifying ones. Many of the wonderful experiences and few of the sketchy ones involved trading with natives on small islands off the coast of South America. On one of the visits the local chief explained that they had caught a thief and punished him — by burning him at the stake while the entire tribe watched. I’m betting they have less property crime than we do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Looks like a winner. And unlike the Yetis and RTICs everyone loves, the Grizzly is made in the USA.
yes exactly. I wanted to say that but figured it would get heated. yeti is big on the whole "designed in US" made in china. yah no shit like a billion other products. its no more American than anything else made in china. all. they do now is release different colors of the same stuff quarterly. but what do I know they sell them like candy bars.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Wow, tough crowd. I've run Yeti coolers in the backcountry for years. They keep drinks and food cold for days on end (especially with block ice).

Are they overpriced? Maybe? All I know is, my Yetis are reliable companions on extended overlanding trips, whereas old-school Igloo type coolers are pretty much worthless after a day. I haven't tried any other brands, but I love my two Yeti coolers.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
yes exactly. I wanted to say that but figured it would get heated. yeti is big on the whole "designed in US" made in china. yah no shit like a billion other products. its no more American than anything else made in china. all. they do now is release different colors of the same stuff quarterly. but what do I know they sell them like candy bars.
Yeah, its a tough crowd around here. They really like their cheap, made in china stuff, even if its more expensive than a made in the US product of identical quality.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Yeah, its a tough crowd around here. They really like their cheap, made in china stuff, even if its more expensive than a made in the US product of identical quality.
My perception of the forum's vibe is exactly the opposite:
There's significant respect for made-in-USA Jeep hard parts (with owners gladly opening their wallets to support domestic manufacturing), and much looking askance at ChiCom baubles of indeterminate quality.

There's also the well-documented distaste for bolt-on products that have the vendor's brand name and/or logo prominently riveted or die cut into the parts themselves, making it difficult or impossible to remove by the owner who doesn't want his Wrangler to look like a mobile billboard. E.g., Fishbone Offroad is one of the worst offenders in such matters.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
There's significant respect for made-in-USA Jeep hard parts (with owners gladly opening their wallets to support domestic manufacturing), and much looking askance at ChiCom baubles of indeterminate quality.

There's also the well-documented distaste for bolt-on products that have the vendor's brand name and/or logo prominently riveted or die cut into the parts themselves, making it difficult or impossible to remove by the owner who doesn't want his Wrangler to look like a mobile billboard. E.g., Fishbone Offroad is one of the worst offenders in such matters.
I read that thread, it seemed like the Jeepers wanted to buy cheap china parts without letting people know they were buying cheap china parts.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase

I think he was mostly talking about the Yeti cooler crowd with that post.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
To everyone downplaying the expense of “lifestyle” roto-molded coolers, I’ll see your cynicism and raise you real-life experience in the Mojave desert. I rely on my expensive Pelican cooler to keep my food cold for up to four-five days at a time when it’s over 115* out. But even it isn’t always up to the task and I have to drive far out of my way to restock on ice.

And while yes, this is my “lifestyle,” if you want to be pretentious about it, it’s also my job so it pays the bills.

full disclosure- I actually didn’t pay for my Pelican; it’s supplied by work.
Sponsored