Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

J.R. Quimby

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Sport
Hey do any of you guys know what this "death wobble" thing is that I keep seeing posts about?
Does it come from improperly installing lifts/big wheels?
My jeep drove perfect before and after my upgrades so i'm not sure what the fuss is about.
As far as I know it doesnt 'really' start happening till your over 3" in lift and taller than 35s. I have a 2" and 35s and it drives factory fresh.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Hey do any of you guys know what this "death wobble" thing is that I keep seeing posts about?
My jeep drove perfect before and after my upgrades so i'm not sure what the fuss is about.
Mine had a minor shimmy when I went over bridge joints. My steering stabilizer was in a list of ones from a bad batch. They replaced it and so far so good. Some folks actually have the wobble and it sounds scary. Quite a few differing opinions on the subject and it is not necessarily related to any lift work. Some have it on stock rigs.

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
As far as I know it doesnt 'really' start happening till your over 3" in lift and taller than 35s. I have a 2" and 35s and it drives factory fresh.
Yeah I have 35's and a MC 3.5 in lift and my steering is perfect. I want to one day go to 38 in tires, hope no issues happen with that. My installer has had his jeep custom shop for almost 30 years so I would hope that if there were issues he would fix it before he gave it back to me.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you tell him it "Builds Character"? :giggle:
Close, I told him his sister hasn't complained once, (12 year old) she liked it. I Gotta put the top on now tho because this weekend he told me it was obvious I "favor" her more. I told him welcome to life bud. They both acknowledge that they are incredibly spoiled. I can't even send them to their rooms because they are like command centers to the world. (Son has Playstation and Xbox as an example)

It is then I told them I like Banjo the best ... one of our dogs. They will be in therapy later, but having kids at an older age allows me to be dead when they are going through all that ... :devil:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Also sometimes described as a "Shimmy" in the steering. I haven't had any of this in mine either, but My cousin has in her F-250 if she hits a hard bump.

Hers is almost new but they've had this problem for quite some time as you can see in this example. I don't know all the reasons behind it but most of what I've heard is the solid front axle is to blame.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine had a minor shimmy when I went over bridge joints. My steering stabilizer was in a list of ones from a bad batch. They replaced it and so far so good. Some folks actually have the wobble and it sounds scary. Quite a few differing opinions on the subject and it is not necessarily related to any lift work. Some have it on stock rigs.
No wobble for me, but it does shimmy when I hit say, a large pot hole, but only for like 1/2 second. Assumed it was normal as my tires run at 38 when warm. I'm still messing with pressure, want at 36 but these things change like 4-5 pounds from cold to hot.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Close, I told him his sister hasn't complained once, (12 year old) she liked it. I Gotta put the top on now tho because this weekend he told me it was obvious I "favor" her more. I told him welcome to life bud. They both acknowledge that they are incredibly spoiled. I can't even send them to their rooms because they are like command centers to the world. (Son has Playstation and Xbox as an example)

It is then I told them I like Banjo the best ... one of our dogs. They will be in therapy later, but having kids at an older age allows me to be dead when they are going through all that ... :devil:
:CWL::CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
nice, someones bank account got emptied... lol
I think I saw a few wisps of smoke come out of my wallet as my credit card melted. :piggybank::piggybank::piggybank::piggybank:

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
No wobble for me, but it does shimmy when I hit say, a large pot hole, but only for like 1/2 second. Assumed it was normal as my tires run at 38 when warm. I'm still messing with pressure, want at 36 but these things change like 4-5 pounds from cold to hot.
Now I feel like I want to hit some potholes to see if anything happens haha:P

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Hubby arrived safe late last night.

Terrible flights yesterday. Pilot had to abort the landing and take another run at it on the one flight, and on the other, it was so rough that people were throwing up.

Hubby’s currently sleeping. Let’s keep it down in here....
Oh my!!! Glad he’s fine!

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
My understanding is that it comes from higher lifts - the lifted suspension messes with the angles and geometry of your steering gear.

All my knowledge is anecdotal though.
Sponsored