Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
It's a nice sentiment but not really historically true. To set the stage, consider that:

* The Black Death started 1346 and ran seven years.
* There were 75--200M deaths. covid-19 is at 2M in under a year (and it's 700yr later).
* Black Death started "the second plague" which ran through at least the 17th century
* In London, the "great plague" in London killed 100k from 1665 to 1666.
* Newton's manuscript is from October 1666, but didn't publish until 93.
* Leibniz independently developed around 75, but published starting in 84.
* Calculus today mostly uses notation from Leibniz.

I do have a tonne of stuff here (mostly mathematical logic) that will never be published because of the costs, and now that we're in the computer age it will be utterly lost upon death because no one is going to go digging through looking for "manuscripts" anymore.

Moral of story: Unknown.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
ps I didn't really "like math" until calculus. Differential equations was nice enough that I realized I wanted to study it, but it wasn't until algebra that I really find my passion for it. That's real algebra a la

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) IiIDa

Note the lack of numbers. :clap:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
ps I didn't really "like math" until calculus. Differential equations was nice enough that I realized I wanted to study it, but it wasn't until algebra that I really find my passion for it. That's real algebra a la

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 4vauz0

Once greek letters other than Pi started showing up, that's when I stopped mathing...

Sponsored

moonbeam55

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 4vauz0

I had calculus for 4 semesters in college. Had to use diff eq's to show the fox & rabbit cycle of life! Got a bachelors in math then decided to get a bachelors in nursing!!!! Been nursing ever since!!!!

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Once greek letters other than Pi started showing up, that's when I stopped mathing...
Awww that means you don't like Phi?

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Also it seems unlikely that Newton developed his ideas (fully with)in 1666. (Einstein took seven years for relativity, then another seven for general relativity.) You all know how we guys are with projects...
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) guy-looking-at-new-project-idea-unfinished-projects-not-happy-about-it-meme

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had calculus for 4 semesters in college. Had to use diff eq's to show the fox & rabbit cycle of life! Got a bachelors in math then decided to get a bachelors in nursing!!!! Been nursing ever since!!!!
It's okay. I trust you are the one they run to when they need to figure out saline drip bag heights to control flow/pressure, counting out the correct number of vials for a daily dosage program, dosage per unit weight and so forth.

Sad to hear of your fall from mathematics. :crying: But neither am I a tenured professor of mathematics so we both have room for improvement, haha.
Sponsored