Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Good Morning Everyone...one snake less in this household. The young lady was BEYOND excited to receive her new pet! Her dad, being the "jokester" he is, said that I was just bringing the snake by for a visit and was taking it home with me when I left. Once she saw the enclosure her Mom set up for her, she was so happy, she cried! I hate to day it but I made a young lady cry because I let her pet my snake.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Some good footage here of British army Apaches in action...

Hats off and a salute to them. I had many patrols where we had British Apaches flying overwatch for us. They were certainly easy to work with and understand on the radio, as the pilots all seemed to speak with a very proper Received Pronunciation, including Prince Harry. To put this into context pretty much all of the RAF Tornado pilots (including female pilots) sounded like an angry Vinnie Jones and were nearly impossible to understand on a radio in the field. :giggle:

We did have an "Oh Shit" moment with a British Apache once. They were having mechanical difficulty and had to make a hard landing out in the open in one of our patrol areas. We had to scramble to get one of the Georgian platoons over to the crash/landing site. Fortunately the Search and Rescue Helicopter evacuated the Pilot and Gunner very quickly so our patrol was only needed to make sure nobody messed with the aircraft itself before the recovery could take place.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it’s really good to have the skill and the confidence to use it.

I’d like to see it taught to young riders before they gain their license for the roads.
Counter steering is all I use. I can't imagine using any other method except at low speed.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I love the fighter jets, but something about the helicopters just screams hellfire.
So with the British Apaches, their version of the Hellfire Missile is called the Brimstone Missile. Heavy emphasis on the Mis-eye-le pronunciation too. :giggle:

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
It isn't just used by racers. Every 2 wheeled motorcycle benefits from the effects of counter steering.
Counter steering is all I use. I can't imagine using any other method except at low speed.
That’s good. As I said somewhere else this doesn’t get taught to road riders here.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s good. As I said somewhere else this doesn’t get taught to road riders here.
It should. it makes things so much easier. I find it occurs naturally as I lean, but since I ride cruisers with nice wide bars that's probably why. a supersport with clips might take more thought.

MtBaldyDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUS, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Stand up Philosopher
Good Morning/Afternoon. Last day of inventory also one of my favorite employees last day. So pizza will be had. Then it's a 4 day weekend! Second of 3 4-day weekends in a row for me. It really stinks to have a schedule like that.

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Nor here. But definitely agree it should be taught here. They also don't teach that you can use your rear brakes...in moderation...when braking. Everyone thinks that if you use your rear brake, it will lock up the wheel and you will skid into a high side accident. Yes, that would happen if you used too much brake or were stupid and left the brake on that long. Most people use only their front brakes...and then have the front tire wash out on them when they brake too hard with that one. I guess a low side accident is better than a high side accident...but just barely. No accident is even better.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nor here. But definitely agree it should be taught here. They also don't teach that you can use your rear brakes...in moderation...when braking. Everyone thinks that if you use your rear brake, it will lock up the wheel and you will skid into a high side accident. Yes, that would happen if you used too much brake or were stupid and left the brake on that long. Most people use only their front brakes...and then have the front tire wash out on them when they brake too hard with that one. I guess a low side accident is better than a high side accident...but just barely. No accident is even better.
I remember my instructors at the Basic Rider course taught us to use both brakes, although they might be the few that actually do. Once again I cannot imagine just using the front brake by itself, unless its at low speed.

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I remember my instructors at the Basic Rider course taught us to use both brakes, although they might be the few that actually do. Once again I cannot imagine just using the front brake by itself, unless its at low speed.
I always used both.
With two exceptions. Once the rear brake "pedal" had bent and pressed against the side of the trans case. I didn't know this. When I hit a washout kinda hard, it popped free, and lodged under the outcropping of said trans case. Locking the rear brake up, and causing me to slide out. Also pinned the muffler to my calf. Singed the muscle after it burned through the skin. Fun times.
Second, I was doing roughly 15mph and the front brake grabbed for, as of yet, unknown reasons. I proved, rather quickly, that hobbits can indeed fly. We just don't land very well.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
It should. it makes things so much easier. I find it occurs naturally as I lean, but since I ride cruisers with nice wide bars that's probably why. a supersport with clips might take more thought.
It happens naturally on a sports bike too if the rider is using the balls of their feet on the foot pegs (not riding with the foot pegs under the arch of their feet) so that they can move about on the bike. Hanging off to the right tends to pull the bars to the left.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I always used both.
With two exceptions. Once the rear brake "pedal" had bent and pressed against the side of the trans case. I didn't know this. When I hit a washout kinda hard, it popped free, and lodged under the outcropping of said trans case. Locking the rear brake up, and causing me to slide out. Also pinned the muffler to my calf. Singed the muscle after it burned through the skin. Fun times.
Second, I was doing roughly 15mph and the front brake grabbed for, as of yet, unknown reasons. I proved, rather quickly, that hobbits can indeed fly. We just don't land very well.
Ouch!

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Good morgan zie.

Boss just sent an email that said "Tomorrow is a holiday (observed), if you're not too busy, you can get the weekend started right now." I will oblige his request!
Sponsored