Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Deleted member 29342

So the Mrs. and I went off roading at Uwharie National Forest yesterday and hit some fun challenging trails. On the way home I walkie-talkied her and said we gotta pull over, something is very wrong with my steering, I can't go over 50mph without feeling really unstable.
So we pull over and I crawl around under the Jeep and find the picture below. Yep, looks like the flag nut came off and that was a fun 1.5 hour drive home. It was late and nothing was open so I pushed the bolt back in and it bit on a few threads in the bracket but was not tight at all. There was still play but it was driveable , didn't' go over 55 and got death wobble twice from a bump in the road but was able to stop it immediately.
By the time I got home my neck and shoulder were sooo tense... lol.

upload_2019-7-29_9-39-11.png
Your neck and shoulder were tense from off roading you did. Not the drive home.
Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Only because this was posted earlier...saw this meme on FB and thought it was worth the possible hazing...

nc_oc=AQnhHw0ES5wgLeaeBb0rMyQxXzZw_9UUdyewXZhnQYv-rIMrYW3nlXVGdZF-URDmb4c&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
So the Mrs. and I went off roading at Uwharie National Forest yesterday and hit some fun challenging trails. On the way home I walkie-talkied her and said we gotta pull over, something is very wrong with my steering, I can't go over 50mph without feeling really unstable.
So we pull over and I crawl around under the Jeep and find the picture below. Yep, looks like the flag nut came off and that was a fun 1.5 hour drive home. It was late and nothing was open so I pushed the bolt back in and it bit on a few threads in the bracket but was not tight at all. There was still play but it was driveable , didn't' go over 55 and got death wobble twice from a bump in the road but was able to stop it immediately.
By the time I got home my neck and shoulder were sooo tense... lol.

upload_2019-7-29_9-39-11.png
:lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

Good thing you made it home alright!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Your neck and shoulder were tense from off roading you did. Not the drive home.
Ummm, no. You clench your wheel for 1.5 hours straight trying to keep the Jeep from drifting because your front axle has side to side play and you will see that it causes a ton of tension in your neck and upper back. I'm loose on the trails. That's the track bar bolt you see in the pic.

Sponsored

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
What you see here is how it looked when I discovered it, I took a 15mm socket and got it to go all the way back in, bite some existing threads on the backside of the bracket and stay put. I did check it a few times and realized that it wasn't coming back out but was obviously loose. Once I saw that it would stay put I felt a little better but was still uneasy because it was not bolted down tight so there was still some play.

It will be getting a normal nut, lock washer and loctite later today.
So to confirm, that's the drag link connection on the passenger side?

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Only because this was posted earlier...saw this meme on FB and thought it was worth the possible hazing...

nc_oc=AQnhHw0ES5wgLeaeBb0rMyQxXzZw_9UUdyewXZhnQYv-rIMrYW3nlXVGdZF-URDmb4c&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg
If that's what the rest universe considers good looking, I think the rest of the universe deserves to remain undiscovered.

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Ummm, no. You clench your wheel for 1.5 hours straight trying to keep the Jeep from drifting because your front axle has side to side play and you will see that it causes a ton of tension in your neck and upper back. I'm loose on the trails. That's the track bar bolt you see in the pic.
Ah...track bar.

One of these days (when it's not 100,000 degrees outside) I need to get under Gabby and do a full inspection of the aftermath from Michigan.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So I've got my appointment set up for getting my track bar checked out. Hopefully this works out and is covered by the TSB.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If that's what the rest universe considers good looking, I think the rest of the universe deserves to remain undiscovered.
What you don't see is the Mr Fusion under the hood instead of the fossil fuel engine... lol.