Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
A lot of what people are freaking out over is just straight up bump steer that comes with a solid axle vehicle. In no way will a Jeep take a bump or uneven road surface like a IFS, just the nature of the beast sort of speak. The JL does handle wonderfully for being a solid axle tho

The people that are actually experiencing the shimmy or even death wobble are few but are probably a result of bad manufacturing/inconsistent tube thickness of the track bars/tierods/drag links. If there is any inconsistency or defect in the material used it will resonate at different levels than the rest, causing shimmy’s at different speed rates. Be why some are being “solved” with a heavier dampening stabilizer that can control the vibration
Better them than me haha. My baby handles fabulously!:)
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
over the past week I've noticed my steering was all over the place. Checked the tire pressure to find out each one was different. Once I get them on the right pressure the steering works fine. something people ignore when they complain about the steering too.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of what people are freaking out over is just straight up bump steer that comes with a solid axle vehicle. In no way will a Jeep take a bump or uneven road surface like a IFS, just the nature of the beast sort of speak. The JL does handle wonderfully for being a solid axle tho

The people that are actually experiencing the shimmy or even death wobble are few but are probably a result of bad manufacturing/inconsistent tube thickness of the track bars/tierods/drag links. If there is any inconsistency or defect in the material used it will resonate at different levels than the rest, causing shimmy’s at different speed rates. Be why some are being “solved” with a heavier dampening stabilizer that can control the vibration
Agreed Boss ... I have read that stock Rigs will shimmy and wobble

JL is definitely advanced from all other models but not perfected ! ...solid axle is solid axle

I don't baby mine going over rough surface and in fact try to get to shimmy at times but she won't ....yet

Impressive Rigs is all I have to say

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s beautiful in person. I don’t want to use it.
Hell I cut up 2 quail and squid and a doz. sea bass on mine already

Sponsored

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
The JL's are designed to take up to 35's and the 2" ( Mopar ) lift is married to the new JL and warrantied provided it be installed by certified grease monkey .

longitudinally ?????

Your killing me smalls !!!
Sorry Mr. Dan, I'll tone down my nerd level a bit. Can't help it, y'know? :angel:

I wouldn't be surprised if the design criteria were set to 35s with a 2" lift from the get-go to facilitate some aftermarket revenue. A cost-benefit analysis was done probably that determined that the strength requirements for 35s +2" were minor enough to offer that capability. This is also why you don't see Jeep saying you can run 40s with only a 3 or 4 inch lift (I have no idea how much you'd need to clear the fenders). It's also why people running 35s don't have issues, while 37s and up tend to start having issues. :movember:

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer

A lot of this could come from the tie-rod ends I feel. How the tie rods are connected affects the forces they feel and in which direction that force is applied. It's pretty hard to mess up a tie rod from a manufacturing standpoint. But a TRE? Lots of opportunities for error.

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
A lot of this could come from the tie-rod ends I feel. How the tie rods are connected affects the forces they feel and in which direction that force is applied. It's pretty hard to mess up a tie rod from a manufacturing standpoint. But a TRE? Lots of opportunities for error.
As follow up, I am not a mechanic, or even a mechanical engineer. But structural principles are the same across the board, and MechEs use the same problem solving methods I do. :bandit:

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Agreed Boss ... I have read that stock Rigs will shimmy and wobble

JL is definitely advanced from all other models but not perfected ! ...solid axle is solid axle

I don't baby mine going over rough surface and in fact try to get to shimmy at times but she won't ....yet

Impressive Rigs is all I have to say
I wonder how many of those complaints are from people who never drove a solid axle vehicle before...honestly asking.

I noticed a difference from the shorter wheelbase. My WJ was the last model year GC to have solid axles, but it handled smoothly. It handled like a battleship (that rear sway bar was TINY), but predictably so. Gabby does tend to get a little squirrely if I hit some rough road with too much air in the tires (currently at 43 cold :bandit: - gotta lower that before Friday).

Sponsored

bellts

First Name
Timmy!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS 3.6l, Manual (Timmychanga)
Occupation
Software Engineer (of sorts),
Looks like I'm headed out to Sedona, AZ next week for a family road trip (planned it out last night, got the time off approved this morning). It's gonna be "Jeep"'s second big road trip, can't wait!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Mr. Dan, I'll tone down my nerd level a bit. Can't help it, y'know? :angel:

I wouldn't be surprised if the design criteria were set to 35s with a 2" lift from the get-go to facilitate some aftermarket revenue. A cost-benefit analysis was done probably that determined that the strength requirements for 35s +2" were minor enough to offer that capability. This is also why you don't see Jeep saying you can run 40s with only a 3 or 4 inch lift (I have no idea how much you'd need to clear the fenders). It's also why people running 35s don't have issues, while 37s and up tend to start having issues. :movember:
Many have had DW with 35's bro

The JL is beefed up compared to the JK and FCA won't say you can put up to a 35 without standing behind it , The only aftermarket product I trust under warranty is Fox and Mopar because they are sleeping with FCA .

You can put all the engineering logic you want into it but it's still a Jeep and it will always have flaws

I have 3 JL mechanics that I trust and all have stated the JL is better than any so far ....but not perfect

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Many have had DW with 35's bro

The JL is beefed up compared to the JK and FCA won't say you can put up to a 35 without standing behind it , The only aftermarket product I trust under warranty is Fox and Mopar because they are sleeping with FCA .

You can put all the engineering logic you want into it but it's still a Jeep and it will always have flaws

I have 3 JL mechanics that I trust and all have stated the JL is better than any so far ....but not perfect
Missed the part where Jeeples with 35s were getting DW too. Other than that, I think we're on the same page. :like::fist bump:

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how many of those complaints are from people who never drove a solid axle vehicle before...honestly asking.

I noticed a difference from the shorter wheelbase. My WJ was the last model year GC to have solid axles, but it handled smoothly. It handled like a battleship (that rear sway bar was TINY), but predictably so. Gabby does tend to get a little squirrely if I hit some rough road with too much air in the tires (currently at 43 cold :bandit: - gotta lower that before Friday).
Jeeps have always been that way so If you have driven the JK for a while you can def see the difference in the JL but they are still a Jeep with the aerodynamics of a dishwasher and a solid axle to give you that horse and buggy feel , wind noise , occasional leak - etc.

I owned a 94 in 98 & 99 and have driven each year a 2013 - 14 -15 -16 -17 and now my JL and love these odd little 4 wheeled creatures

bellts

First Name
Timmy!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS 3.6l, Manual (Timmychanga)
Occupation
Software Engineer (of sorts),
I'm tired... been up since 3:50ish. Woke up from a bad dream where someone stole my jeep from a crowded gas station/restaurant (kinda like a truck stop). But it wasn't really my jeep because it was red. Anyway.... I'm tired.
Sponsored