Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Damn near miss meeting going on for over an hour now
Had a piece of a door fall off on my last night shift and almost hit me. Heavy bastard, luckily missed me would’ve caused some serious hurt
5BC626B6-10E2-49B2-81EE-D6D126078002.jpeg
4A6899FD-F4C5-4AE4-BF4B-2532D61CC7DA.jpeg
How high up are they? And I guess there aren't enough curse words to describe how hot it is too... 😳

Stay safe there!
Sponsored

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Had a piece of a door fall off on my last night shift and almost hit me. Heavy bastard, luckily missed me would’ve caused some serious hurt
Glad it missed you! Do you mind explaining what I am looking at? I see the arrow to where the door came from, but what industry is this? Power?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Case in point about mechanics not even knowing shit about vehicles: my buddy's JKU was lifted by the dealership when he bought it (I couldn't talk him out of it and into doing it ourselves, he wanted to keep his warranty and my arguments about not letting a dealership touch your vehicle went unheeded). Since I'm wearing him down on just doing the work ourselves, figured I should familiarize myself with his lift - it's a Mopar 4" for the JKU. Wouldn't have been my first choice, cam bolts on a solid axle vehicle are pretty meh. Anyway, found an install video done by a mechanic at a 4x4-centric dealership. Dude can't tell if he's looking at a trackbar bracket or a diff drop bracket, an upper or lower control arm, etc. Imagine how much worse it is at a more generalized dealership...

Watch and try not to cringe:

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
4A6899FD-F4C5-4AE4-BF4B-2532D61CC7DA.jpeg
Man, that looks like it would've been unpleasant to have been bonked by. Glad it ain't get you!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
You should check out what ChevyMitchell is doing with his "Pain Train" then. Much more in depth build than I would ever think about doing, but very impressive.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/genright-roll-cage-install.108967/

1678799822188.png

He's got a supercharger installed, Dana 80 rear, 60 front, 40s, antirock sway bars and the genright cage is in the works.

I remember it from a while back but didn't see this thread. SO freaking cool!

There was a two door build on the forum that I watched where he made his own roll cage. I really love the fabrication work. I'll see if I can dig it up.

All of this tells me I need to find a good used welder and get learning. (They can get pricy.)

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1678803090382

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
I will say I have walked away from several vehicles I was thinking about purchasing because of the idiots sales staff. If they would have just tossed me the keys and fucked off, they might've got a sale that day.
For the last 30 years I've been the sole negotiator for all of our vehicles (and there have been a lot!) The second a sales vulture walks past me to get to Jim he's going to get more than an earful from my husband before we get back in our car.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey

There was a two door build on the forum that I watched where he made his own roll cage. I really love the fabrication work. I'll see if I can dig it up.

All of this tells me I need to find a good used welder and get learning. (They can get pricy.)
HF has some fairly cheaper ones you can start with

[Edit] I know because I have been thinking the same thing.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
How high up are they? And I guess there aren't enough curse words to describe how hot it is too... 😳

Stay safe there!
I say that piece of the door that fell is about 20ft up
I’m about 5’11 and my head is at the lower latch

it’s pretty warm on the batteries, enough we have to stop or production slows when it rains/snows there is so much steam coming off we can’t see
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 3CBDD786-6323-4E8F-B19B-06F609DBD188

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I really don't get why it's acceptable for dealerships to hire sales folks that don't know shit about the vehicles they're selling, or vehicles at all for that matter. Though I do suppose they also hire mechanics who don't know shit about vehicles, so there is that too.
The sales guy at my Dodge/Jeep place where I ordered my Wrangler admitted up front he wasn't as familiar with it as he should be (he was apparently more familiar with Dodge than Jeep). But I had already done all of my research and really didn't need, nor want, him to talk about it at all. I just needed him to input the information for my order. I had read the manual before it was delivered, so I pretty much just wanted to check it out, sign the papers, and be on my way; and he obliged.

My wife's car purchase at about the same time (Kia Telluride) was different, as we only knew a little about them going in. I have to say, the Kia sales guy we dealt with was great. He knew the car extremely well and had just about the perfect balance of leaving us alone and giving us information. Even after the purchase, when we picked it up he had her sit in the driver's seat, he sat in the passenger's, and I sat in the back. He went through every button, switch, dial, and display in the car, even going through all of the settings (seats, HUD, infotainmnet system, etc.) so everything was how she wanted it before we left the lot.

I'd say we were pretty fortunate in both cases.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

That particular Jeep has been rolled on its side and was totaled by insurance. He bought it from the insurance company and because of the rollover and where it was hit, it made sense to go ahead and get a new rollcage and all new axles... Not something I would do on a Jeep in good condition, lol.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I say that piece of the door that fell is about 20ft up
I’m about 5’11 and my head is at the lower latch

it’s pretty warm on the batteries, enough we have to stop or production slows when it rains/snows there is so much steam coming off we can’t see
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 3CBDD786-6323-4E8F-B19B-06F609DBD188
wow, now that I've got a sense of scale... they're much higher up than I thought at first!

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Glad it missed you! Do you mind explaining what I am looking at? I see the arrow to where the door came from, but what industry is this? Power?
I work at an integrated steel plant, we make steel from raw materials (mini mills melt scrap to produce new steel). The department I work in is cokeovens. Each door you see that has a number is an oven we fill from the top with coal. It’s cooked for roughly 20 hours at 2200 degrees to make coke. Coke is fuel used in a blast furnace to produce iron which is then turned to whatever kind of steel the customer needs
Sponsored