Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
That 8 speed is legitimately one of the best transmissions I've ever owned. Loved in the wife's Charger and love it in the JLR. 2.0 in a 2 door is no slouch either ;). But yeah, not sure why folks feel the need to make posts about shit they don't like that they didn't buy lol
I have to agree. I was pretty neutral about automatics until I drove the JLU with the 8 speed. I honestly thought it would be shifting too much but now I find it weird when I drive anything less than a 6 speed.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I personally fail to see what some people complain about with the manual. Although it doesn't quite have the low end torque of Dad's 4.2 liter, the 3.6 stick I drove didn't lug at all.
I think it's just the clutch engagement takes some getting used to. Though, the Centerforce kit would probably be on my list of upgrades were I running the 6 speed, that thing looks like pure beef.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's just the clutch engagement takes some getting used to. Though, the Centerforce kit would probably be on my list of upgrades were I running the 6 speed, that thing looks like pure beef.
Not cheap, but if it avoids potential clutch destruction it would probably be worth it.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I have to agree. I was pretty neutral about automatics until I drove the JLU with the 8 speed. I honestly thought it would be shifting too much but now I find it weird when I drive anything less than a 6 speed.
With the 4.10s, I find that 1-6 are the most used gears anyway, but 7 and 8 are great at 55+. The ZF 9 speed in my KL, however, pretty fuckin MEH. I find I don't trust it all that much to be in the proper gear and I'm constantly doing manual shifts. I also don't trust its longevity in 4x4 - lots of KLs out there stripping PTU gears.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Already in the plan, though it's down the list.

Could really use a lower reverse gear too, but that's not happening.

I think I might end up with a four door automatic before I get to that point.

giphy.gif

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Already in the plan, though it's down the list.

Could really use a lower reverse gear too, but that's not happening.

I think I might end up with a four door automatic before I get to that point.

giphy.gif
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) Dont Do It

#LessDoorsMoreFun

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Caught up. 😂

I'm happy with my V6 manual. It's much stronger on road and off than my old LJ, IMHO. Getting 17.2 mpg (18+ if I don't drive like I have a lead foot) isn't bad either, compared to the 11-12mpg I was getting with the "holy grail" 4.0 inline 6.

I drove the turbo 4 in a four door and thought it was smooth? The auto really surprised me in how good it felt. Might have been the better choice for room, mileage, and stability, but I still wanted the 2 door manual. So much fun. 🤷‍♂️
mine is a JLU 3.6 manual and my wife's is a JLU 3.6 auto and there have definitely been times I wish I had that 8 spd, but I still am glad I got a manual.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
mine is a JLU 3.6 manual and my wife's is a JLU 3.6 auto and there have definitely been times I wish I had that 8 spd, but I still am glad I got a manual.
Only owned one auto, and lost my ass trading back for a manual.

I think Jeep's auto is the first I've liked to be honest.

I still like the engagement of a manual. Glutton for punishment?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only owned one auto, and lost my ass trading back for a manual.

I think Jeep's auto is the first I've liked to be honest.

I still like the engagement of a manual. Glutton for punishment?
I'm enjoying Dad's truck. I probably wouldn't want to go back to a manual being my daily though. The ZF has me that spoiled, lol.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
For our Canadian jeeples. Disney's representation of Canada.
20221004_171814.jpg
20221004_171741.jpg
20221004_171738.jpg
20221004_171736.jpg
20221004_171611.jpg
20221004_171820.jpg
Did you do the around the world thing...a drink from each country?

We're down in Orlando pretty much annually (kid 2 and now kid 3 volleyball tournament), and though you didn't ask for it, I'll throw out a couple of restaurant recommendations.

We have a tradition that we always have lunch or dinner at Raglan Road Irish Pub in Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney). Very good food and good selection of beers. Our tradition also includes getting stuck in a downpour after the meal while walking back through Disney Springs (somehow happens every time), but you can probably skip that part.

Another great restaurant in Orlando (though not in Disney) is Cafe Tu Tu Tango. It serves tapas-style small plates and the food is great. There was a team dinner there a few years ago, and now we make sure to have a meal there as well whenever we're in Orlando.

Oh, and morning Jeep folks

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
That 8 speed is legitimately one of the best transmissions I've ever owned. Loved in the wife's Charger and love it in the JLR. 2.0 in a 2 door is no slouch either ;). But yeah, not sure why folks feel the need to make posts about shit they don't like that they didn't buy lol
This is the internet. If you don't agree with my opinion you're WRONG and I have to go out of my way to make sure you know until you admit I'm right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) angry-mad

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mornin Jeeple!

I used to be a die-hard manual guy, but this 8 speed auto is pretty damn great, especially after regearing to 5.13's. I do miss the control I had descending hills offroad with the manual but the auto in manual mode does a respectable job. Wheeling with an auto is fantastic!
Sponsored