Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I ended up in AZ so my wife could be closer to CA customers (Closer than Philthy). Picked AZ over CA because of housing costs and CA state income tax rate of about 13.4%, AZ 4%. That’s s big $$$ you all pay.
Went to AZ in '69 with a service buddy. Went to school in Tucson, taught for 5 years in Ajo. Southern AZ was prime jeep country then. Not crowded, not spoiled, not fenced or regulated. There were no "off road trails"...there was just the desert, and very damn few people out on it. We drove differently...it was about finding the route the land provided. We avoided obstacles.

Not judging. Just a different thing. I've driven routes where you could still see the tracks of Spanish carts, and the wells and landmarks they used 400 years ago.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Sierra Vista is the best kept secret in AZ. The weather is almost perfect. We don't have all the amenities of a larger town, but Tucson is about an hour and a half away. Real estate is relatively affordable, even though it's been trending upwards lately. We have a shit ton of elderly drivers during the summer, and that increases to an ass wad in winter because of snow birds.
Does Dan Southard still run Gator Farm Tactical Shooting School there? We taught and coached together in Ajo.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I kinda lived in AZ for a while. By that I mean that my wife and first born lived there, while I contracted. Tucson was kind of okay. So long as you avoid certain places. The wheeling was great. Had friends in Sierra Vista, I'll pass. Sedona was fun, but too many people who believe in ley lines and crystal power. Too many people in Phoenix. Flagstaff was pretty cool.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Sierra Vista is the best kept secret in AZ. The weather is almost perfect. We don't have all the amenities of a larger town, but Tucson is about an hour and a half away. Real estate is relatively affordable, even though it's been trending upwards lately. We have a shit ton of elderly drivers during the summer, and that increases to an ass wad in winter because of snow birds.
Last time I was in Sierra Vista, I had to deal with BP checkpoints, illegals everywhere, as mentioned, the snow birds and disgruntle drunk Indians, (possibly smuggling). Just saying.....LOL

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I kinda lived in AZ for a while. By that I mean that my wife and first born lived there, while I contracted. Tucson was kind of okay. So long as you avoid certain places. The wheeling was great. Had friends in Sierra Vista, I'll pass. Sedona was fun, but too many people who believe in ley lines and crystal power. Too many people in Phoenix. Flagstaff was pretty cool.
Missed the good spots...Ajo, Globe, San Manuel, Bisbee, Morenci...old mining camps, former company towns. No tourists, no artists, no colleges, no money. Great places if you like reality.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Missed the good spots...Ajo, Globe, San Manuel, Bisbee, Morenci...old mining camps, former company towns. No tourists, no artists, no colleges, no money. Great places if you like reality.
There were some other small towns in the mix, and several parks and things. That post was more of a commonly visited highlight reel. Bisbee and Tombstone were neat, but touristy. The drive from Oro Valley, to Globe, then on to Safford was a great day trip.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Tombstone has been touristy ever since Ned Buntline got there. Sad to hear about Bisbee...it used to be a real place. I guess with the mines closed they have to do something.

Sponsored

Covered in Dust

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a place in Havasu. It’s great for what I use it for. Drive over from San Diego area on Mondays and home on Fridays. We always avoid the weekend crowds. Seems like we have the lake to ourselves most of the time. plus about a zillion miles of trails.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
1642647342932.png

Yosemite National Park
I scored a campsite in the valley for a mid-June weekend, the other morning. It's a little like winning the lottery. Might be a little chilly at night in June.

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Does Dan Southard still run Gator Farm Tactical Shooting School there? We taught and coached together in Ajo.
Never heard of it or him. Doesn't mean he isn't around though.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Last time I was in Sierra Vista, I had to deal with BP checkpoints, illegals everywhere, as mentioned, the snow birds and disgruntle drunk Indians, (possibly smuggling). Just saying.....LOL
BP checkpoints aren't a hassle, illegals are trying to get further into the country and if you see them, they are along side the road with about 6 BP trucks around them, it's not like they are just wandering around all willy-nilly. I don't think drunk Indians are especially a problem here either. Snowbirds are a real thing though. I'm glad people don't like it here, keeps it smallish.
Sponsored