Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I guess I need to look up the shipwrecks in the great lakes. I've always had an interest in Ships both afloat and sunk.

The USS Utah is one where you can clearly see the difference in condition between what is submerged and what is not.

1638288834469.png
I'm so glad the UTAH is 'finally' getting more respect - to me, it's always felt a bit like an "also sunk" compared to the tragedy of the ARIZONA on the other side of Ford Island.

Of course, the whole thing/situation was a horrible, sad moment in history.

But yes, I will freely admit that I enjoy diving on wrecks more than "just the reef". Chalk it up to that "abandoned places" meme, or something... don't know.

(Also, the reefs in Hawaii, because of the isolated geography, aren't really "pretty" reefs like what you see off Australia, Indonesia, etc. With getting pummeled by waves and storms, there's no big coral 'fronds' and stuff. Lots of fish, etc., so still tremendous spots to dive, just... different.)

Cheers,
-CM-
Sponsored

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I remember watching Sea Hunt back in the day. I got scuba certification on Oahu back in the 70’s. Did a recertification in the early 2000’s on Lake Champlain. Gave away all my gear before I moved.
Get yourself all fixed up and healthy ( ;) ), then come out here for a celebratory dive/visit!

Cheers,
-CM-

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I guess I need to look up the shipwrecks in the great lakes. I've always had an interest in Ships both afloat and sunk.

The USS Utah is one where you can clearly see the difference in condition between what is submerged and what is not.

1638288834469.png
Lots of shipwrecks around here (Mississippi River). Sadly, the river moves around a lot. The Sultana, America's worst maritime disaster (1865, 1800 dead) , lies four miles from the river and 30 feet deep under a soybean field in Arkansas.

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1638290447911

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so glad the UTAH is 'finally' getting more respect - to me, it's always felt a bit like an "also sunk" compared to the tragedy of the ARIZONA on the other side of Ford Island.

Of course, the whole thing/situation was a horrible, sad moment in history.

But yes, I will freely admit that I enjoy diving on wrecks more than "just the reef". Chalk it up to that "abandoned places" meme, or something... don't know.

(Also, the reefs in Hawaii, because of the isolated geography, aren't really "pretty" reefs like what you see off Australia, Indonesia, etc. With getting pummeled by waves and storms, there's no big coral 'fronds' and stuff. Lots of fish, etc., so still tremendous spots to dive, just... different.)

Cheers,
-CM-
Well for me, Utah no longer serving as a Battleship but as a training ship doesn't take away from the fact that she still has crew entombed in her. I paid my respects there before I saw the Arizona up close.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a little bit of reading on the Sultana. Absolutely terrible! Rated at 375 passengers but the Captain crammed over 2000 recently released Union POWs on board trying to maximize the payout he would get from the government.