Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I merely repeat what I was told. All of my military flying was in either Herkies or Shithooks...in back. Oh and one long ride in some large jet ambulance.
Not a fan of helicopters but the jet medievac was a smooth ride (only had to do it once and for a minor injury, it just happened to be going my way).
Sponsored

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
A French drain will work wonders for that. We've struggled for years with the Church Basement. We had a French drain installed and now we don't have to deal with sopping up wet carpet every time it rains. :whew:
The problem is the layers of bedrock around here. The problem was minimized when Dad installed gutters and downspout drain pipes (that drained away from the house) but, when we get a lot of rain, water seeps in. There is one are of the yard that could definitely benefit from a french drain and I will have to look into installing one...but I really don't think we will ever "fix" this problem.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC
A French drain will work wonders for that. We've struggled for years with the Church Basement. We had a French drain installed and now we don't have to deal with sopping up wet carpet every time it rains. :whew:
You just triggered a flashback - when I was a sophomore in college my dad talked me into digging a French drain in trade for a car BY hand. I learned many things to include how much dirt comes out of a 2'x3' trench 50 or so feet long to a hole 6' round and 6+' deep along with the 2 or so tons of crushed gravel to fill/line, all with a wheelbarrow. Excess dirt had to be wheeled to a ravine 100 yards or so away, plus heaven forbid any rocks or dirt were left in the lawn:). My brother and I always said he got the better of the deal. Oh, yep drain worked like a charm and took care of the drainage issue.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USMC
I have this power too - along with putting the junk somewhere and then spending more time looking for it then it would to go buy it new (and usually hardware or item costing less than $5).

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Not a fan of helicopters but the jet medievac was a smooth ride (only had to do it once and for a minor injury, it just happened to be going my way).
My jet was some sort of bigass thing...C-141 maybe? Vietnam to California. Stopped somewhere to refuel. Dont remember much, I was flat on my back and loaded with morphine that week.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is the layers of bedrock around here. The problem was minimized when Dad installed gutters and downspout drain pipes (that drained away from the house) but, when we get a lot of rain, water seeps in. There is one are of the yard that could definitely benefit from a french drain and I will have to look into installing one...but I really don't think we will ever "fix" this problem.
The French drain was installed in the basement itself. There was no way to keep the water from seeping into the basement, even with fixing the gutters and rerouting the flow from the gutters away from the building.

They had to remove the concrete along the walls, install the "Basement Gutters" along the edge of the wall and then concreted over them. They drain into a sump pit and a pump handles the rest.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1675947919757

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1675948106492

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Good Morning All!!! It has stopped raining but not before getting water in the basement. I am not surprised because it rained A LOT over the last couple of days. Good thing the basement isn't finished and everything is either on pallets or racks...but it still sucks. This has been a problem since Dad bought the house some 40+ years ago.
Sorry to hear you got flooding. Never a good thing.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You just triggered a flashback - when I was a sophomore in college my dad talked me into digging a French drain in trade for a car BY hand. I learned many things to include how much dirt comes out of a 2'x3' trench 50 or so feet long to a hole 6' round and 6+' deep along with the 2 or so tons of crushed gravel to fill/line, all with a wheelbarrow. Excess dirt had to be wheeled to a ravine 100 yards or so away, plus heaven forbid any rocks or dirt were left in the lawn:). My brother and I always said he got the better of the deal. Oh, yep drain worked like a charm and took care of the drainage issue.
This reminds me of the week before I shipped out to boot camp. We drove up to Rochester to visit my brother there. I thought it was going to be a relaxing visit... but nope... My DIY crazy parents decided we could get started on re-roofing his house and guess who was doing grunt work?

Roofing was permanently removed from any future consideration for work that week. lol.

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
The French drain was installed in the basement itself. There was no way to keep the water from seeping into the basement, even with fixing the gutters and rerouting the flow from the gutters away from the building.

They had to remove the concrete along the walls, install the "Basement Gutters" along the edge of the wall and then concreted over them. They drain into a sump pit and a pump handles the rest.

AAhh...gotcha now. We have a trench dug into the floor and there is a drain out to the pasture that takes the water out of the basement but when we get that much water, it comes in everywhere...LOL Also, part of where the water comes in is where the stairs, water heater, HVAC units are. Can't get to the wall there to dig a drain without tearing a bunch up. The basement is on the list of thing to work on though. it will get done eventually...maybe. LOL

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
AAhh...gotcha now. We have a trench dug into the floor and there is a drain out to the pasture that takes the water out of the basement but when we get that much water, it comes in everywhere...LOL Also, part of where the water comes in is where the stairs, water heater, HVAC units are. Can't get to the wall there to dig a drain without tearing a bunch up. The basement is on the list of thing to work on though. it will get done eventually...maybe. LOL
Ugh, There's always layers and layers of stuff to do and its never simple. lol.

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
Ugh, There's always layers and layers of stuff to do and its never simple. lol.
Pretty much. I am expecting a visit from a roofer either today or tomorrow to talk about putting a new roof on the house. We have a few issues there too that need addressed before they get worse. LOL Only problem is...it may be upwards of 6 months before the guy has an opening to do the work.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Mornin folks, almost to Friday!
Sponsored