Sponsored

Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** )

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
Morning all. Multiple tornadoes south of STL last night. No injuries from what I read. It was a windy bitch this morning driving to work in Roxy...was a battle to keep her in her lane and watching out for trucks doing the same.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1635161928861

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1635161938169

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1635161965243

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What's your total toe-in? I chased a shimmy that shouldn't have been there after upgrading near everything. Rechecked torque on everything several times and couldn't nail it. Roky suggested I check the toe and try 1/16" total toe-in. Mine was a hair over 1/8". I was skeptical that such a small change would do anything, but wow I was wrong. All shimmers were gone.

Not saying that's your magic ticket, but you never know.
1/16" as Roky suggested. I went through and participated in those threads and short of throwing BJ's and knuckles at it, I've tried all the tricks.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure I set it to about 1/16th when I put the synergy steering bits in. I'm going to recheck it after I get the front axle all back together. Thanks for the tip.
My original setup included a rear track bar and all 8 control arms from synergy. Their stuff doesn't do well with articulation and I was not getting their advertised amount of bushing misalignment. The front and rear lower control arm tre's were spinning under the torqued pinch bolt and causing shimmies. I retorqued them 10ft/lbs over the original 90, but they spun again. On the 3rd tightening, the pinch clamp ears and the slot at the end of the bar was touching before reaching 100ft/lbs again. I thought I could save some money by reusing them with the 2nd setup, but that didn't happen. Fortunately, I was able to have a set of replacement arms in under 2 weeks from Metalcloak.

I recently switched the synergy rear track bar out for the Metalcloak, and noticed the same issue. The tre was loose under the torqued pinch bolt. Mind you, these were all bench tested and checked out before originally installing them.

They all seems perfectly fine until I dropped one end and could feel the unweighted tre clicking back and forth.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Sounds similar for sure. What was confusing to me was no issues before the lift, then had some anomolies right off the get on stock wheels and tires. It didn't get worse with 37's, so I installed the MC steering with no change. Then I installed the track bar brace with no change. I decided to live with it until the death wobbles started. I just can't see aluminum knuckles causing that, not that I don't want to upgrade, but one step at a time.

I've had some gear oil coming out on the drivers side, but I think I overfilled when I installed the MC diff cover / skid, so what I'm seeing might be from that...I hope.

My Jeep had the 2.5" MC lift and Steer Smarts steering bits all installed at the same time. This time I had Trail Jeeps do the installation. The steering has been rock solid the whole time.

So many things seem to cause DW and everyone has a different idea on what the main culprits are, but warn out parts, alignment, and balanced tires are the red flags that stick out to me.

I have 1/16" toe out. Apparently that's what Metalcloak recommends?

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I dunno nuffink, and have had zero probs with my own front end, but...

I have read a ton of people who said that the new steering box was a major step up.
I noticed a positive change. Tighter steering for sure. :dunno:

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
My original setup included a rear track bar and all 8 control arms from synergy. Their stuff doesn't do well with articulation and I was not getting their advertised amount of bushing misalignment. The front and rear lower control arm tre's were spinning under the torqued pinch bolt and causing shimmies. I retorqued them 10ft/lbs over the original 90, but they spun again. On the 3rd tightening, the pinch clamp ears and the slot at the end of the bar was touching before reaching 100ft/lbs again. I thought I could save some money by reusing them with the 2nd setup, but that didn't happen. Fortunately, I was able to have a set of replacement arms in under 2 weeks from Metalcloak.

I recently switched the synergy rear track bar out for the Metalcloak, and noticed the same issue. The tre was loose under the torqued pinch bolt. Mind you, these were all bench tested and checked out before originally installing them.

They all seems perfectly fine until I dropped one end and could feel the unweighted tre clicking back and forth.
Yeah, I've read some of your posts on those issues in other threads. I haven't had any problems with my synergy stuff. 'course, my Jeep isn't a DD (read: low miles), but I haven't had any issues with the TREs or adjuster sleeve thingies. I'll keep an eye out for such issues.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I forgot to add this pic taken during a flex test. You can see the tre cocked in relation to its arm. Offroading is illegal in New York, so I can't do it as often as I'd like to. Just a couple of forklift tests was enough to introduce a shimmy caused by the pinch bolts being out muscled by the bushings lack of misalignment.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 20200918_151217
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 20200918_151127

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
All right, so when I got down to Orlando I regret that I only got the "Or Similar" part of the deal...

A 4 door is similar to a 2 door I guess. lol 2018 JKU Sport with the tiny sport tires... 225/75R16 😳
I liked it but this Jeep has had a hard life as a rental.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep humor waiting room ( ** NO POLITICS ** ) 1635164330768

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I forgot to add this pic taken during a flex test. You can see the tre cocked in relation to its arm. Offroading is illegal in New York, so I can't do it as often as I'd like to. Just a couple of forklift tests was enough to introduce a shimmy caused by the pinch bolts being out muscled by the bushings lack of misalignment.
tre = tie rod end?
Sponsored