Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The article is surprisingly in-depth, and basically constitutes a review of the XR package, too. Oh, and the Sunrider (which I own) is very loud when open at speed. See below.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40690404/2022-jeep-wrangler-high-tide-by-the-numbers/

Some nuggets:
We once heard from a Stellantis engineer to the effect of, "You spend a million dollars to properly engineer a one-inch lift, and then people go out and install a six-inch lift that was developed in two weeks by some guys in a garage."
To prevent the High Tide from requiring outriggers, the lifted suspension is stiff—much stiffer, seemingly, than even a Rubicon model on 33-inch tires. With a track four inches wider than that of a standard Wrangler Sport and 2.5 inches broader than a Rubicon, the High Tide feels stable, if not particularly happy, in corners. Its 0.69 g of lateral grip is probably about as hard as you'd want to corner in this buggy. Likewise, its 7.7-second run to 60 mph feels plenty quick enough, especially given the lackluster stopping distance from 70 mph: 211 feet, the same distance we recorded from the almost-10,000-pound GMC Hummer EV.
And that's with the Sunrider roof closed. With it open, even at a relatively benign 70 mph, the tires, engine, and especially the wind conspire to produce a 103-decibel interior sound level. How loud is that? Loud enough that we'll need to reference 1992's "Federal Agency Review of Selected Airport Noise Analysis Issues," which reported that an F-16 fighter jet flying over at 1000 feet at 403 mph spikes at 101 decibels. Serious hearing damage is possible over an eight-hour exposure to 100-decibel sound levels, so it's fortunate that closing the roof lowers the din to a tolerable 74 decibels at 70 mph.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep High Tide (and XR) Review -- "Like an F16 and Hummer EV in One" -- Car & Driver Review 1658578755283
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Sky One Touch has a slightly different roof profile which was likely engineered to reduce noise and buffeting.

I've never experienced a Sunrider, but I suspect much of the highway noise comes from the stacked profile when it's open.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I love the comment about the lift kit😏. Sadly, it’s true, and I strongly suspect the reason one sees so many lifted “new” Jeeps sitting on used car lots, where they were traded in on a Toyota or similar SUV.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
They spent a million dollars designing/testing/producing their lifts?!? I hope that's a joke because the Mopar lift is absolutely nothing to write home about, ESPECIALLY if they invested those kind of resources into the R&D/production.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They spent a million dollars designing/testing/producing their lifts?!? I hope that's a joke because the Mopar lift is absolutely nothing to write home about, ESPECIALLY if they invested those kind of resources into the R&D/production.
The mopar lift isn’t made by FCA. Still an aftermarket lift as opposed to the XR package. I’m not entirely sure I’d call it a lift per se, either.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
The mopar lift isn’t made by FCA. Still an aftermarket lift as opposed to the XR package. I’m not entirely sure I’d call it a lift per se, either.
Yeah don't get me wrong there's not really anything wrong with it, but it's the same thing as the stock components basically. With thin wall control arms that get banged up awfully easily when you actually wheel the thing, and flex robbing joints in the name of NVH reduction.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yeah don't get me wrong there's not really anything wrong with it, but it's the same thing as the stock components basically. With thin wall control arms that get banged up awfully easily when you actually wheel the thing, and flex robbing joints in the name of NVH reduction.
Yep. No doubt.

That said, the XR package is pretty impressive if your use case isn't rock crawling. For those that primarily just use it for accessing camp sites and street, it's a damn good package. Can easily just toss 37's on it without any changes, too.

Once my Fox 3.0's come in I'll make a decision on control arms. Leaning towards just going Currie again because the JJ's just work -- but I'm also tempted a bit by Metalcloak's joint design. They seem to advertise more flex than Currie's JJ and also less NVH.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The Sky One Touch has a slightly different roof profile which was likely engineered to reduce noise and buffeting.

I've never experienced a Sunrider, but I suspect much of the highway noise comes from the stacked profile when it's open.
My point was that one is apparently very loud. My SOT definitely is not, whether it's open or closed. We had it open for several hours today while traveling to the trail and rock crawling. No issues talking, listening to books, music, whatever.

Sponsored

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
So is it the wheels that make the XR wider or is it the beefier axles that make it wider?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I love the comment about the lift kit😏. Sadly, it’s true, and I strongly suspect the reason one sees so many lifted “new” Jeeps sitting on used car lots, where they were traded in on a Toyota or similar SUV.
It's either that, or the fuel mileage. I have to laugh because I always warn people who are "thinking" about getting a Jeep: It's not another SUV, it's different on a mechanical level that will cause it to ride differently. Oh, and don't buy a modded one off the lot or you're going to over pay, or have a ton of problems, possibly both.
You see it all the time in reviews and stuff as well: People compare them to stuff that doesn't even make sense. At least this review takes some of that into consideration.

DRockWilson

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
I read the article over the weekend. The High Tide really gave me everything I wanted in a JL without me having to do much right out of the gate. Especially stuff that would void the warranty. Long term I'm sure I will do some more exterior mods but for a stock vehicle it really was perfect for what I plan on doing with it. I don't really plan on desert rock climbing with it but love the look of the XR Package and plan to find some Ohio trails. So I really didn't need a Rubi nor wanted to pay for it. The High Tide also allowed me to get an XR with body color matching hard top that wasn't available on the Willy's XR.

And as far as the Sunrider noise when open. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting. The roof is partially off. It's going to be louder. Not sure I would think to order something like this but it is very nice when I don't have her topless to get a little sun and fun.

Honestly, couldn't be happier about by High Tide.

TexazGuy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
Vehicle Showcase
Reading this really solidified the happiness in my decision on ordering a high tide! May need to invest in some quality ear protection before it arrives in August 😬😅
I dont feel like my High Tide is very noisey at all.

F15AF844-582D-46C9-9740-04805511966E.jpeg

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Noise and ride comments are to be expected from people that suddenly get given a Jeep to drive with the mission of writting a review about their impressions.

I have the Sunrider for hardtop, and if these reviewers think that it’s noisy bouncy , they obviously never drove a YJ, TJ without top and doors or anything with a soft top for that matter.

Been Jeeping for numerous decades and my hearing is as good as anybody that never drove one.
Sponsored

Last edited: