Sponsored

Jst42ln

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
I've had my High Tide for 3 weeks. Sunrider went on day after I picked it up, I drive 80 + miles daily it is not loud. Open driving at 65 you can still hold a conversation. As far as the ride, it's a Jeep, it rides way better that my Ram 2500. Many dealers are sending them off the lot with air pressures way to high, mine was delivered with 48 to 50 psi, door pillars states 37. Set them to 40 and it rides great.
Sponsored

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
So is it the wheels that make the XR wider or is it the beefier axles that make it wider?
Both. M210 Wide HD front axle and M220 Wide rear. Plus 8x17" rims up 1/2" in width over stock Rubicon. Then the 35s. Net is 2.5" wider track than a stock Rubicon. Up 4" over a Sport. That get's one's attention, doesn't it?

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't too impressed with this review as C&D did not cover the technical content of this Xtreme Recon package on a non-Rubicon Wrangler. Rubicon Recon front and rear axles (without lockers) and performance brakes should have been highlighted as key parts of this package. If this was a Corvette review they would have covered significant technical content changes like that in great detail. Did Jeep not tell them? How about the impact of that low end (below 2,000 rpm) torque (+90 lbs. ft is it?) from the etorque V-6 with a 4.56 axle ratio? That is a hoot to drive. Impact on rock crawling? Change in crawl ratio from Sport or Willys? Not covered. They had a funny comment about the Sunrider roof. I thought that I would remove mine due to noise (C&D's comments) on my High Tide and use the hard panels but have found their comment inaccurate. I use the Sunrider top all the time and it is easy to open, no panels to store, and I have not found it excessively noisy open.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did appreciate Car and Driver's comments on the lackluster stopping distance from 70 mph at 211 feet and notations about this being about tires, not brakes. I also appreciated seeing a real curb weight recorded at 4,829 lbs. That is 600(!) pounds more than Edmunds and numerous other sources erroneously report. I believe C&D on these two numbers and note the significant opportunity for improvement in our Jeeps in both these numbers. I like the big axles and big wheels and quite heavy 35s on my High Tide. For me, what I want. But you put the same powertrain in a two door JL Wrangler Sport and those things scoot. Climb pretty well too with good tires. Not hauling an extra 600 lbs. or more up the trail pays numerous dividends too. Nice that Jeep gives us these choices. Just saying, a Sport or Willys Sport are fun rigs.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my High Tide for 3 weeks. Sunrider went on day after I picked it up, I drive 80 + miles daily it is not loud. Open driving at 65 you can still hold a conversation. As far as the ride, it's a Jeep, it rides way better that my Ram 2500. Many dealers are sending them off the lot with air pressures way to high, mine was delivered with 48 to 50 psi, door pillars states 37. Set them to 40 and it rides great.
My High Tide was also delivered with 48-50 psi in the tires for a vehicle that is supposed to have 37 psi. Curious tactic from the factory there in Toledo. I run the recommended 37 psi. My son in Colorado with a 2012 AEV JKUR with 3.5 in. lift runs 32 psi on the street and that AEV does ride well and steer well. His wheels are a half inch wider than ours.

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I did appreciate Car and Driver's comments on the lackluster stopping distance from 70 mph at 211 feet and notations about this being about tires, not brakes. I also appreciated seeing a real curb weight recorded at 4,829 lbs. That is 600(!) pounds more than Edmunds and numerous other sources erroneously report. I believe C&D on these two numbers and note the significant opportunity for improvement in our Jeeps in both these numbers. I like the big axles and big wheels and quite heavy 35s on my High Tide. For me, what I want. But you put the same powertrain in a two door JL Wrangler Sport and those things scoot. Climb pretty well too with good tires. Not hauling an extra 600 lbs. or more up the trail pays numerous dividends too. Nice that Jeep gives us these choices. Just saying, a Sport or Willys Sport are fun rigs.
Car and Driver always gives Jeep Wrangler a low rating. They say they ride rough and are noisy. I really do not care that they do not ride like a car, or that they are noisier then a car. I know they are, but I still buy them. I drive around all summer with the top off or down. That is why I buy a Wrangler...

nmega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
Late to the party but if you guys don’t mind, what are you getting for gas mileage? I have about 1,500 miles on my new High Tide and suddenly the mpg’s have dropped drastically; just trying to get some context I suppose!

Also, sorry if this should be in its own thread!

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Late to the party but if you guys don’t mind, what are you getting for gas mileage? I have about 1,500 miles on my new High Tide and suddenly the mpg’s have dropped drastically; just trying to get some context I suppose!

Meaning you went from what to what? I’m averaging around 19 mpg combined.

nmega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Tide
Meaning you went from what to what? I’m averaging around 19 mpg combined.
Yeah I was also averaging 19 combined but all of a sudden dropped to about 15. The drop was accompanied with a tick that sounds like what a few posts on here have said to be a rocker arm issue. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was “fine” but now noticing the mpg change, I’m worried there are some serious issues.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I drive on the freeway with my sunrider open as often as I possibly can. Yeah it's noisier than my wife's Lexus but it's exponentially more fun, also. Just crank the radio up and enjoy the breeze.

Sponsored

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So is it the wheels that make the XR wider or is it the beefier axles that make it wider?
Both. Axles like in the Rubicon (but without the lockers) yield 2.5" additional track. That is why they are called M210 Wide HD front axle (Heavy Duty indicates steel steering knuckles and thicker tubes on the axle so not Rubicon axle exactly, this is Xtreme Recon specific), and M220 Wide rear axle both geared at 4.56. Great low gearing, by the way, to wake up the Etorque system, the V-6 and the 850re trans, all 8 gears. The wheels (8x17") with beadlock ready rings and bolts, and 35" tires yield 1.5" additional track. It has the Performance brake package but that does not affect wheel offset. I can't tell you if the M210 Wide HD front axle came in the diesel or 392. Maybe some 392 (non-XR) and diesel owners could check their build sheets and advise.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Both. Axles like in the Rubicon (but without the lockers) yield 2.5" additional track. That is why they are called M210 Wide HD front axle (Heavy Duty indicates steel steering knuckles and thicker tubes on the axle so not Rubicon axle exactly, this is Xtreme Recon specific), and M220 Wide rear axle both geared at 4.56. Great low gearing, by the way, to wake up the Etorque system, the V-6 and the 850re trans, all 8 gears. The wheels (8x17") with beadlock ready rings and bolts, and 35" tires yield 1.5" additional track. It has the Performance brake package but that does not affect wheel offset. I can't tell you if the M210 Wide HD front axle came in the diesel or 392. Maybe some 392 (non-XR) and diesel owners could check their build sheets and advise.
From my 2022 JLURD's build sheet:

DANA M210 WIDE FRONT AXLE
DANA M220 WIDE REAR AXLE

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

2022 High Tide - I get 18 mpg around town. My lead-foot wife gets 16. It is rated at 19 mpg city/21 mpg combined and 24 highway. On the highway it is pretty easy to see 24 mpg with steady driving at about 60-65 mph.

Last edited:

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
From my 2022 JLURD's build sheet:

DANA M210 WIDE FRONT AXLE
DANA M220 WIDE REAR AXLE
So, the big Dana 44 front axle but not the HD front axle on the diesel. Thanks for that input.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The mopar lift isn’t made by FCA. Still an aftermarket lift as opposed to the XR package. I’m not entirely sure I’d call it a lift per se, either.
If they spent a million dollars developing a slightly stiffer spring, bump stops that leave minimal up travel, and short shocks that severely limit down travel that's even worse. Our XR is better in every way thanks to a few small improvements to fix what Jeep allegedly spent $1mil screwing up. 1.5" spacer to fix up travel, longer/better shocks to fix down travel, along with LCAs to fix dreadfully low caster and longer sway bar end links. I spent $1,100 "developing" a system that is better in every way in my opinion. Thanks to the shocks and lcas it corners flatter, has less brake dive, and handles on road better than stock. Pot holes don't slam into the bump stops anymore. There's an extra 2" of uptravel and 3"+ of down travel which vastly improves flex obviously.
Sponsored