Sponsored

Jeep gurus help.....why are there two different center consoles on 2021 models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
BaseLayer

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma and 4Runner, past - 99 XJ and 94 YJ
Occupation
Vehicle OCD
Well that looks exactly the same from the outside
It is the depth which is different. The top 2/3 including armrest and exterior is the same. There must be some rare option under that area of the console taking up space in the 2021s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BaseLayer

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle OCD
Do you have a time frame on when the new version will be available that fits the new console?
Sorry, unfortunately no. Without understanding the change we are not ready to make the investment in new molds (ie. $20K)

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how many details have changed since the JL's introduction. The console is a pretty minor inconvenience compared to the 3.6L engine mount change.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have a 2021 JLURD and it has the shorter cubby (assumed new design). There is definitely something under the console. I don’t know what it is, but it does seem like Jeep needed the space to put something there. I got a video to show what it looks like; I tried to get a picture but lighting was an issue that wasn’t with video. I’d suspect this is a running change that was needed and certain models will definitely haven’t it and others will be hit or miss until old console inventory is depleted.

my Jeep:
2021 diesel, rubicon, towing group, cold weather group, front camera, proximity key

video:

Sponsored

Punkindug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 392
Watching brewski's video I see the little black box they needed room for under the console. Maybe it's related to an option? Anyone have one of those snake-cameras? Maybe see if there are some #'s on it? I might try cutting down my old OCD front to back on the center divider..

OP
OP
BaseLayer

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle OCD
Thanks @brewski ! The black box looks like the culprit for sure. Looks like it may have a circuit board in it by the way it is sealed.

I was using the online Mopar parts manual to understand the console options. The black box must be in a different group. The good news is the parts manual is finally updated for 2021. Although the console rubber mats are backwards. Time to start digging in the other groups for the black box.

https://store.mopar.com/v-2021-jeep-wrangler--willys--3-6l-v6-electric-gas/interior-trim--consoles
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep gurus help.....why are there two different center consoles on 2021 models? 1623503121599

OP
OP
BaseLayer

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle OCD
I have a 2021 JLURD and it has the shorter cubby (assumed new design). There is definitely something under the console. I don’t know what it is, but it does seem like Jeep needed the space to put something there. I got a video to show what it looks like; I tried to get a picture but lighting was an issue that wasn’t with video. I’d suspect this is a running change that was needed and certain models will definitely haven’t it and others will be hit or miss until old console inventory is depleted.

my Jeep:
2021 diesel, rubicon, towing group, cold weather group, front camera, proximity key

video:
I think the black box is the controller for the front trail camera. I can not see where it is located from the parts diagram but it looks like the video. Also, a new addition to the Wrangler in 2021. I have seen 2021 JL with trail cam and the old console. Makes me think it is also tied to the touchscreen/stereo system.

Does everyone with the new center console have the front trail cam option?

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-camera-68436466aa

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep gurus help.....why are there two different center consoles on 2021 models? 1623519848984

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
2021 JLUR 3.0L
Build date 3/13/2021
VIN 1C4JJXFM6MW709345
Safety + Advanced Safety Groups, proximity, tow, 8.4

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep gurus help.....why are there two different center consoles on 2021 models? IMG_3846

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
@salex, did you say the depth was different between the 2 or is it just the amount of the notch inward?

OP
OP
BaseLayer

BaseLayer

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.salexorganizers.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle OCD

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I'm one of these guys. My JLR was built in April/May and your bottom tray dividers didn't fit, it was too big.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.