Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
putting lipstick on a mountain goat doesn’t make him climb any better
It does effectively force the goatherders to pay a higher price, though. That's exactly the Jeep buyer who willingly pays many thousands of dollars for the lipstick that calls itself the Cold Weather package, the Safety Group, the Alpine Premium Sound option, etc.
Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I refinish furniture as a hobby and Im also very artsy... never tried to get a wet glossy look on anything tho. - i would have constant foot prints on the dash of it was glossy lol- this spray painting dash thing is a first for me. Im thinking prep, primer, thin coats. Im sealing with a matte finish. I just cant decide if I want black, or gold. And then I start thinking about making it a marbled movement finish of black, silver, bronze, and gold and I get overwhelmed!
gloss > matte

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I refinish furniture as a hobby and Im also very artsy... never tried to get a wet glossy look on anything tho. - i would have constant foot prints on the dash of it was glossy lol- this spray painting dash thing is a first for me. Im thinking prep, primer, thin coats. Im sealing with a matte finish. I just cant decide if I want black, or gold. And then I start thinking about making it a marbled movement finish of black, silver, bronze, and gold and I get overwhelmed!
Easiest way to do it is remove the parts to be painted. Use a scotchbright pad to scuff everything up. Wash the parts with dawn, let dry, once dry, tack cloth everything. Then using Duplicolor products, spray a thin coat of adhesion promoter and let it tack. Then spray the color of your choice. I usually do two coats of color. Starting away from you, spray a thin coat 6-8 inches away from the parts taking your strokes from left to right, or vise versa. Allow the stroke to continue off the part so the paint does not pool. Now turn the part 45 degrees, and repeat. Do this til you have gone all the way around. If at this point it looks like you have good coverage STOP. Wait about a 1/2, and repeat the same process with your matte clear. With the clear, you want a uniform wet look before it starts to dry. Let it sit in the sun if possible for a day before handling. You can also create a texture finish with paint as well. I have not done it with clear, but with color, after you have put the color coat on, let the paint flash about 15-20 minutes. Then using the same side to side criss cross pattern, pull the can back 15-18 from the part, and start spraying a fog like pattern at the part. You are not looking to make it wet, just putting a texture on it. It will also dull the shine, and might just give a matte look you might like. I would practice on some other stuff first if you have never sprayed paint before. Good luck.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
It does effectively force the goatherders to pay a higher price, though. That's exactly the Jeep buyer who willingly pays many thousands of dollars for the lipstick that calls itself the Cold Weather package, the Safety Group, the Alpine Premium Sound option, etc.
I like my goat bare bones. I never have to buy lipstick that way. LOL

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Easiest way to do it is remove the parts to be painted. Use a scotchbright pad to scuff everything up. Wash the parts with dawn, let dry, once dry, tack cloth everything. Then using Duplicolor products, spray a thin coat of adhesion promoter and let it tack. Then spray the color of your choice. I usually do two coats of color. Starting away from you, spray a thin coat 6-8 inches away from the parts taking your strokes from left to right, or vise versa. Allow the stroke to continue off the part so the paint does not pool. Now turn the part 45 degrees, and repeat. Do this til you have gone all the way around. If at this point it looks like you have good coverage STOP. Wait about a 1/2, and repeat the same process with your matte clear. With the clear, you want a uniform wet look before it starts to dry. Let it sit in the sun if possible for a day before handling. You can also create a texture finish with paint as well. I have not done it with clear, but with color, after you have put the color coat on, let the paint flash about 15-20 minutes. Then using the same side to side criss cross pattern, pull the can back 15-18 from the part, and start spraying a fog like pattern at the part. You are not looking to make it wet, just putting a texture on it. It will also dull the shine, and might just give a matte look you might like. I would practice on some other stuff first if you have never sprayed paint before. Good luck.
Wow thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
[/QUOTE]
Thats me. I pay for that lipstick.... on every vehicle I purchase. And I love it. Never been called a goat herder... dont think i really like it just bc i want a warm tush on a cold day....

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thats me. I pay for that lipstick.... on every vehicle I purchase. And I love it. Never been called a goat herder... dont think i really like it just bc i want a warm tush on a cold day....
The goatherder comment followed and was linked just to the quoted "lipstick on a goat" comment. It was not intended to be accusatory, although I get that it could have been interpreted that way. :)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]

I have lipstick on my collar. I love the cold. The little lady does not. For her to ride in fall and winter with top off I HAD to have heated seats. I will test that this fall and winter in the Rubi.

I know the Sahara with SOT and no heated seats I had to close top last winter for her.

Will try to break my Sahara record of 21 degrees. Of course that was alone.

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
O
The goatherder comment followed and was linked just to the quoted "lipstick on a goat" comment. It was not intended to be accusatory, although I get that it could have been interpreted that way. :)
Oh noooo I thought it was funny!!!!!! You lil Goat herder you...

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Well, geez…I’m definitely a goat herder. 🤦🏼 Cold weather pkg, alpine system, front camera, etc! I even went so far as to get the Trail bag of goodies, aluminum sill plates, etc. 🤫. I was just so dang excited when I ordered the Jeep that it got the best of me. And quite a bit of my money along the way.🤣😂😅😀😳

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Well, geez…I’m definitely a goat herder. 🤦🏼 Cold weather pkg, alpine system, front camera, etc! I even went so far as to get the Trail bag of goodies, aluminum sill plates, etc. 🤫. I was just so dang excited when I ordered the Jeep that it got the best of me. And quite a bit of my money along the way.🤣😂😅😀😳
Not the trail baggggggg noooooooooooo 🤣

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hey now - I resemble that remark. This is my first vehicle with a heated steering wheel and living in Chicago, when it's 20 below and the Jeep has been out all day, I'm happy to have paid for the Cold Weather Package. I'd probably give up the AC before the heat... :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Goatherders of the world, unite!

😁

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis