Sponsored

Jeep Ecodiesel FAIL...3rd time to the dealer in a month for low oil pressure warning light...ugh

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
They can't figure out what is happening after an oil change and their first reaction is to replace the engine? Be wary.
they don’t know why or how the low pressure happened. They checked it with a manual gage to make sure it was correct and even changed the oil again to make sure it wasn’t the oil. They said this is happened to them once before, and the solution was changing the engine. They are working with Jeep and sending them the evidence. We need to get the motor replaced. You say be weary of it but I don’t know what else to do? It’s out of my hands. Luckily it’s under warranty.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
they don’t know why or how the low pressure happened. They checked it with a manual gage to make sure it was correct and even changed the oil again to make sure it wasn’t the oil. They said this is happened to them once before, and the solution was changing the engine. They are working with Jeep and sending them the evidence. We need to get the motor replaced. You say be weary of it but I don’t know what else to do? It’s out of my hands. Luckily it’s under warranty.
I've had this happen to me on my 1st two oil changes. In both cases, removing the new oil filter and methodically relubing the two o-rings did the trick. It went from low pressure to a 20psi idle instantly.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...w-oil-pressure-warning-light-ugh.75893/page-2

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/1st-oil-change-for-diesel.51531/page-5#post-1310813

I say be wary because even if they're paying you don't want the brain damage of an engine swap unless you really need to.

BTW, this is why I change my own oil.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good to hear. Jeepcares and the two dealership I worked with were totally useless! This forum and its members were the main reason I got it fixed. Mine was the same issue, oil filter not fully seated.
@Mmorreale

We warned this member about the finicky oil filter last year. Trust me: this is your problem.

Please report back, with the good news, after YOU (not the dealer) reoil/reseat your oil filter.

ssrgeoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2022 JLURD
@Mmorreale

We warned this member about the finicky oil filter last year. Trust me: this is your problem.

Please report back, with the good news, after YOU (not the dealer) reoil/reseat your oil filter.
Just going to add that after doing an oil change myself, I too after a short drive came up with a low oil pressure warning. I did as mentioned throughout this thread and took the oil filter off again, inspected, re-oiled the o-rings and reinstalled torqued to 18.4 and all is well. Seems a dealer would want to at least try this first before replacing an entire motor.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I would def do as suggested by other members, I’m not sure if this is the same for everyone but I noticed when replacing my filter on both oil changes the little plastic edge that sticks out lined up with the metal edge on the filter housing, I also apply oil to the threads on the new filter to help make a better seal

0969631D-909D-4B07-99A9-9B06B86D32A4.jpeg

Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Well, add me to the Low Oil Pressure Losers Gang. Just did an oil change today using the required Pennzoil.
At first it seemed like the oil pressure was too high both at idle and driving. Then eventually the low oil pressure light came on. Tried loosening the filter and reseating it (Although I didn't take it fully out).
Also had a slew of other lights go bonkers like the front collision sensor, and now the Service Start Stop light is on now every time. So I have no idea how any of that is related to oil pressure, but it wasn't like that before the oil change.

Anyway I guess I will pull the whole filter out, and lube it like its gonna party, and try reseating it to proper torque.
Just look at these JLs wrong and they have a nervous breakdown. Just like my ex wife

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, add me to the Low Oil Pressure Losers Gang. Just did an oil change today using the required Pennzoil.
At first it seemed like the oil pressure was too high both at idle and driving. Then eventually the low oil pressure light came on. Tried loosening the filter and reseating it (Although I didn't take it fully out).
Also had a slew of other lights go bonkers like the front collision sensor, and now the Service Start Stop light is on now every time. So I have no idea how any of that is related to oil pressure, but it wasn't like that before the oil change.

Anyway I guess I will pull the whole filter out, and lube it like its gonna party, and try reseating it to proper torque.
Just look at these JLs wrong and they have a nervous breakdown. Just like my ex wife
Jay, had you already read the threads about need for methodical lubing/seating/torquing, or was this the first you'd heard of the issue?

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Jay, had you already read the threads about need for methodical lubing/seating/torquing, or was this the first you'd heard of the issue?
Yeah actually I did, and I may have even responded to this thread a while back (Can't remember). So I did lube the o-rings when I installed the first time just like I've done my whole life with oil filters. I guess these filters call for a lot more attention.

So I went back and removed the filter, cleaned all the oil out of the bowl, lubed the filter threads and o-rings like it was going on a grinder date, and reinstalled with the precision of a heart surgeon torquing to 18flbs. Started it up and everything was good and pressure where it was supposed to be 19/20. Took it for a few mile drive, and shut it down for about 5 mins. Started it back up and everything was good again, so I took it a few more miles. I will start it again before bed and see if that did the trick, but so far I think I'm good to go.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah actually I did, and I may have even responded to this thread a while back (Can't remember). So I did lube the o-rings when I installed the first time just like I've done my whole life with oil filters. I guess these filters call for a lot more attention.

So I went back and removed the filter, cleaned all the oil out of the bowl, lubed the filter threads and o-rings like it was going on a grinder date, and reinstalled with the precision of a heart surgeon torquing to 18flbs. Started it up and everything was good and pressure where it was supposed to be 19/20. Took it for a few mile drive, and shut it down for about 5 mins. Started it back up and everything was good again, so I took it a few more miles. I will start it again before bed and see if that did the trick, but so far I think I'm good to go.
"Heart Surgeon" is a good way of describing the approach that's needed. After you've done it successfully once (okay...twice in my case) you've cracked the code.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Mmorreale

You went dark without telling us how this turned out. Did the dealer ever come to their senses and simply reinstall the oil filter? Or...are they still insisting on replacing the entire engine?

Sponsored

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
@Mmorreale

You went dark without telling us how this turned out. Did the dealer ever come to their senses and simply reinstall the oil filter? Or...are they still insisting on replacing the entire engine?
Yeah, sorry about that. Wasn’t really sure what to do. I am disabled and I’m not able to change my own oil, so I am at the mercy of the dealership. At this point, I believe they have replaced the engine and I am waiting for the call to pick it up. My question to you guys would be do you think this is going to be a constant occurrence for yourselves or is there a fix? I am considering selling the Jeep because I don’t want this to happen again from a simple oil change and ruin my engine. Which would then cost me the entire $55,000 that I paid for this jeep for such a simple problem of changing the oil. I would hope that Jeep has a fix for the situation and has done that on my vehicle. Once I pick it up, I’m going to ask them to explain to me why this happened and what they have done to prevent this from happening again. Hate to let the group down, but there was nothing else I could do.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Yeah, sorry about that. Wasn’t really sure what to do. I am disabled and I’m not able to change my own oil, so I am at the mercy of the dealership. At this point, I believe they have replaced the engine and I am waiting for the call to pick it up. My question to you guys would be do you think this is going to be a constant occurrence for yourselves or is there a fix? I am considering selling the Jeep because I don’t want this to happen again from a simple oil change and ruin my engine. Which would then cost me the entire $55,000 that I paid for this jeep for such a simple problem of changing the oil. I would hope that Jeep has a fix for the situation and has done that on my vehicle. Once I pick it up, I’m going to ask them to explain to me why this happened and what they have done to prevent this from happening again. Hate to let the group down, but there was nothing else I could do.
I have two Jeep dealerships within 15 miles of me but there as incompetent as your dealership sounds. So I'm forced to travel 60 miles out of my way for reputable decent service on my Wrangler ECODIESEL

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Reviving this thread since I’m dealing with this problem now. Does anyone know whether the oil pressure is really low (per the sensor reading) or just reads low because of the oil filter problem ?

Update: apparently another thing to check is that the connectors on the oil pressure sensors are firmly seated.

Last edited:

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Reviving this thread since I’m dealing with this problem now. Does anyone know whether the oil pressure is really low (per the sensor reading) or just reads low because of the oil filter problem ?

Update: apparently another thing to check is that the connectors on the oil pressure sensors are firmly seated.
It happened to me but stopped after I replaced the oil and filter again. I think it’s really easy to damage the threads on the filter if you don’t seat it perfect the first time. Wish they would just make a metal filter.

Where is the sensor located? Is it able to be knocked as you replace the filter?

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
I think they're the two plugs that go into the engine right above the filter, so… Probably??
Sponsored