Sponsored

Jeep Ecodiesel FAIL...3rd time to the dealer in a month for low oil pressure warning light...ugh

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Ya it’s starting to bug me because it shouldn’t be this hard ha. The second time I even oiled the plastic threads along with the o rings. What final torque did you use? I bumped it up a bit to 22 ft-lbs this second time.
Good news is once you finally get the touch, you'll be great going forward. I used 18lbft.
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Ya it’s starting to bug me because it shouldn’t be this hard ha. The second time I even oiled the plastic threads along with the o rings. What final torque did you use? I bumped it up a bit to 22 ft-lbs this second time.
Don't increase the torque you are using on the cap, you are gonna break something. The cap is not your problem, it is the filter. There is an o-ring on the cap, so that seals as soon as it goes inside the housing. I'd change out the filter for a new one as the o-rings may be the problem.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Two changes myself. Lubed the o rings and torqued to 18 ft lb. No issues. 🤷

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's not rocket science. I don't even use a torque wrench. You can clearly feel when the cap bottoms out on the housing. And, the new filters always come with new O-rings. As long as you have the O-ring in the correct groove on the cap it's almost impossible to have a leak or issue. Just screw it down until it bottoms out and then stop.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Don't increase the torque you are using on the cap, you are gonna break something. The cap is not your problem, it is the filter. There is an o-ring on the
It's not rocket science. I don't even use a torque wrench. You can clearly feel when the cap bottoms out on the housing. And, the new filters always come with new O-rings. As long as you have the O-ring in the correct groove on the cap it's almost impossible to have a leak or issue. Just screw it down until it bottoms out and then stop.
I think it’s actually the oil that I put in. It’s stable pressure but low at idle. I’m putting in different oil this weekend and hoping everything goes back to normal…

Sponsored

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
So after switching the oil to a different brand everything seems to be back to normal. Idle at 20psi vs 16/17psi warmed up and no longer dips to low pressure (8psi) during startup after engine is warm.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
So after switching the oil to a different brand everything seems to be back to normal. Idle at 20psi vs 16/17psi warmed up and no longer dips to low pressure (8psi) during startup after engine is warm.
What oil did you use the first time and then the final fix? I'm having a similar issue ... I've had the new filter in and out several times, checked the o rings, oiled the o rings, used a torque wrench to 25 nm - bottomed out.... I've even tried going back to the old filter... so maybe like you, it's the oil???

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
What oil did you use the first time and then the final fix? I'm having a similar issue ... I've had the new filter in and out several times, checked the o rings, oiled the o rings, used a torque wrench to 25 nm - bottomed out.... I've even tried going back to the old filter... so maybe like you, it's the oil???
I went from the QuakerState 5W-40 to Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Both are approved oils so still doesn’t fully make sense to me.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
I went from the QuakerState 5W-40 to Pennzoil Platinum Euro. Both are approved oils so still doesn’t fully make sense to me.
Hmmm... I'm using Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40.... has anyone else used this with or without issue?

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Here’s what I’ve been using since the 1st oil change. It’s got the MS-12991 cert on the bottle.
30AFEE40-4796-4D83-ABF0-7D546F78C696.jpeg

Garry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ, 2018 GC Trailhawk, 2022 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I'm using Quaker State with no problems

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
I'm using Quaker State and haven't had an issue.
Correction. So it works 50% of the time 🤔

just curious is your warm engine oil pressure lower at all? Like below 20psi?

Maybe a bad lot of oil just went out…

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
Just took mine to the dealer for an oil change, and when I left the low pressure oil light came on. It was four psi at idle. The dealer could not figure out what happened and now they are going to replace my entire engine. Ever heard of this happening?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just took mine to the dealer for an oil change, and when I left the low pressure oil light came on. It was four psi at idle. The dealer could not figure out what happened and now they are going to replace my entire engine. Ever heard of this happening?
They can't figure out what is happening after an oil change and their first reaction is to replace the engine? Be wary.
Sponsored