Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I dont really have a duck in this fight, but given that this phenomenon is partially driven by social media which is about selling attention, some are in fact getting something in return. #socialdillema

If people get a smile out of this then great - we certainly need more of those to go around. I'm happy to strike up a conversation with another Jeep owner but so far no duck has been required. And anyway, why a duck?

And for the record I’m actually hilarious around the campfire and know how to cook. Mom always said I'm special.

Well as far as I can tell it is not about attention. The person that places the duck try to be anonymous. It is just for the smile.

My best guess.......
The reason for the duck is it is a cheap easy to obtain and recognizable as a symbol that someone liked your Jeep. Therefore when you see a duck, it is no longer random and should easy the mind of a crazy person that nobody is trying to kill them or destroy their Jeep. It is just a non threatening rubber duck (literally a baby toy) that should not raise alarm in a semi rational adult nor should it cause alarm. Some people on this thread act like a person cleared a round from the chamber and put it on their Jeep with no message. The ducks come with a short message. At least mine did.

1602242381984.png

I could be wrong. Maybe some of these negative people got a different message on the duck they received. Maybe I should get some ducks and put a message on the ducks that I hand out that read, I hope you are not having death wobble, I hope that the sensor in your JL Dana 44 does not go bad, I hope your steering box is replaced under warranty, is the paint bubbling around your door hinges? I hope you don't get stuck, or get pinstriping on the trail. and as a friendly reminder, It doesn't matter what lift you get. Home Depot parking lots are paved. If you have received this duck, post a picture on.

Fuck these ducks, they ruined my life.

Mojito Sport

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JLU Sport S 2015 Transit 250
Occupation
HVAC Field Supervisor
I got ducked yesterday! My daughter and I came out after eating dinner and, there sitting on the side step, was a little rubber mallard duck that simply read “Nice Jeep!” My 7 year old daughter thought it was the funniest thing. The whole way home, she kept saying, “We got ducked!” We laughed and joked about it on the way home and it made me think; a little rubber duck, placed by somebody we will probably never meet, gave myself and my daughter another great memory in the Jeep that we will share forever. On a side note, I had met my wife there and parked directly behind her. She has a bikini pearl sport, mines a mojito. I got ducked and she didn’t....

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Video Editor
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong. Maybe some of these negative people got a different message on the duck they received. Maybe I should get some ducks and put a message on the ducks that I hand out that read, I hope you are not having death wobble, I hope that the sensor in your JL Dana 44 does not go bad, I hope your steering box is replaced under warranty, is the paint bubbling around your door hinges? I hope you don't get stuck, or get pinstriping on the trail. and as a friendly reminder, It doesn't matter what lift you get. Home Depot parking lots are paved. If you have received this duck, post a picture on.

Fuck these ducks, they ruined my life.
aaaannnnd, you get the point of the day Ted lol.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
I got ducked yesterday! My daughter and I came out after eating dinner and, there sitting on the side step, was a little rubber mallard duck that simply read “Nice Jeep!”....
That's exactly what my wife did with the ducks she placed. No links, no social media. I think Jeep ducking is common enough now, that people know what's going on. If not the message of "nice Jeep" says enough. They may not know why it was a duck, or that it's "a thing" but they know someone liked their Jeep and wanted to spread some joy.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark Kohler
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Ok, I'll bite. :)

There's too much to comment on with this. The fact it's a FB group isn't surprising (I'm not on FB anymore because of the silliness that goes on). It seems like a money grab scheme.

I'm in the camp that would prefer they follow the advice given at the end. Think and don't put junk on other's cars. We have enough trash in the world. Be considerate to others and if you want to prank your own close group/buddies, go for it as long as it's cool with them... otherwise, it's inconsiderate to touch a strangers rig.

If you want to spread kindness and smiles, then go for a ride with others and say "hey! nice jeep." or give a wave on the road... there are many different ways to do that other than physically changing/adding items to a strangers vehicle... Hell, just go buy a homeless dude/dudess a meal or something.

My $0.02
If I find one on my vehicle, then it will be nothing more than an annoyance and piece of trash that i'll then have to recycle or throw away depending on material.
Well said

nostatic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Well as far as I can tell it is not about attention. The person that places the duck try to be anonymous. It is just for the smile.

1602242381984.png
FB and Insta are all about attention. That is their business model.

You do the same thing without the social media angle, I have zero issues. But invoking the hashtags is making money for FB and reinforcing the addiction models that have driven their business.

If you haven't watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix, worth doing. While I have some issues with the piece, it highlights a number of issues going on behind the scenes. Don't feed the borg...

Or if you don't have Netflix, this isn't a bad commentary

Mojito Sport

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JLU Sport S 2015 Transit 250
Occupation
HVAC Field Supervisor
That's exactly what my wife did with the ducks she placed. No links, no social media. I think Jeep ducking is common enough now, that people know what's going on. If not the message of "nice Jeep" says enough. They may not know why it was a duck, or that it's "a thing" but they know someone liked their Jeep and wanted to spread some joy.
Had it not been for this forum, I’d have never know that it was “a thing.” But the joy was spread and a great little father/daughter memory was created. To me, that’s a Jeep thing and I wish more people would understand!

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
I got ducked on monday. put a huge smile on my face.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara (JLU), Renegade Limited (BU)
Had it not been for this forum, I’d have never know that it was “a thing.” ...
Yeah I only knew it was a thing because my wife saw it on a Jeep forum that she's a member of. Then I saw this thread and though gee, that's what she was talking about.

MntsRcalln

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I got ducked about a week ago

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My wife and I are sitting in our favorite Greek resturant eating lunch and a Jeep with the name Stella drives by the window that we are sitting at. We come out to the Jeep and what the DUCK. Stella ducked up.

1602447581272.png

1602447597500.png

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Why does it matter so much!? I get that most people (Myself included) do not want anyone touching their rigs, but man oh man! I guess we all have our breaking point and for most people its a $.35 rubber duck! I have kids so a duck would be cool to let them play with. I have a dog, so he will chew on it for about 5 minutes before its trash. none the less, They are not Keying my ride, slashing my tires, painting or scraping the paint, trying to steal anything, but just admiriring my Jeep. if it makes them feel good and does NO HARM to me vehicles I DON'T CARE!

You can ask all my friends and family, I am a Jerk, hard to get along with, short tempered, and love my cars and Jeeps. (Dont Mess with them at all) but a Duck! C'mon, there are allot of other things to be worried about like them slashing my softtop!

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement