Beaching631

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
As mentioned, you’re most likely due for new batteries. You might also have to replace the Mopar Fuse Z as well if the aux. battery shorted and the jump starting you did.
Is this Fuse #42? Or another fuse? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Is this Fuse #42? Or another fuse? Thanks!
@Beaching631

Fuse 42 is the fuse in the PDC you pull, when you are wanting to do the bypass of the Aux battery. Pull F42 and disconnect the Aux negative cable that resides on the Neg terminal on the Main battery.

In our back and forth, I mentioned to you to be real careful with the bundle of wires you pull off of the pos side of the Main battery....

I mentioned to as soon as you pull that bundle off the positive side, to wrap it in a shop rag, or such so there would be no chance that bundle could not ground out on anything metal near by.

IF you ground out that bundle you will blow fuse N3 in the Mopar Z Case Fuse Array .. Read here about the 2 different / different part number, high amp fuse arrays...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/alert-high-amp-fuse-array-related.65085/

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
For sure, it will be push button. Nothing to worry, about, that's the way it is today.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Funny how variable it is. My 2019 with original batteries gets driven once a week, maybe 50 miles. Just hit 10k miles after 3 years of ownership. ESS is almost always "Battery Charging", but it's never failed to start, even in -30 temps.
This is a problem that exists mostly in the 2018 models due to it being fixed with a software update in the later year models.

Basically no matter whether the aux battery can reliably start the Jeep back up or not it will still engage the ESS. I got stranded in an intersection once due to this and a second time was in my driveway fortunately.

FCA later made a software change that disables the ESS if the aux battery cannot restart the engine. Its quite possible yours is the updated software.

Both the main and aux batteries from the factory are not the greatest. I only got 18 months out of both of mine before having to replace both.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Funny how my last 3 cars with ESS/ASS all worked just fine off the main battery. Why Jeep had to come up wth this hair-brained double battery solution is beyond me. Everyone else is able to make ESS work with a single battery. Pretty sure even the new Bronco has ESS with a single battery.
An engineer did a calculation that in heavy stop/start traffic, using only the main battery, the main battery could drop below 50% charge. Discharging a LA below 50% significantly reduces battery life. The secondary battery cure is far worse than the 1/10th of 1% who have the primary battery fail prematurely because of discharging in heavy traffic below 50%. At 50% battery and temperature above 40 degrees, there's plenty of power to start.

You are on overtime. I would change them both out soon.
Wrong. Replace the main battery and pull the F42 fuse

Genesis Offorad dual battery kit will take care of that.

IMG_1434.jpg
Major overkill. Get a good replacement, pull F42, that's all you need.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Wrong. Replace the main battery and pull the F42 fuse
Major overkill. Get a good replacement, pull F42, that's all you need.
Def not wrong. Sure he can hotwire his fusebox or pull fuses but it wont chnge the fact that his batteries are about done. My comment was only pertaining to battery life, not the hack around them.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Def not wrong. Sure he can hotwire his fusebox or pull fuses but it wont chnge the fact that his batteries are about done. My comment was only pertaining to battery life, not the hack around them.
I said replace the battery. Have you read about pulling F42, it's not a hack, it's a HUGE improvement.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
LoL. So, the tl/dr of this thread is...

Simple set of decisions:
  1. Change both the batteries
  2. or bypass
  3. or get a new system (with new batteries) like the Genesis kit.
Also, eTorque; who knows what it really is!? Do you have two batteries? Maybe, but maybe not... Do you have a 12v system or a 48v system? Or maybe, just maybe, you're moving into a land of both 12v and 48v electrical systems, of confusion and internet hearsay. You've just crossed over into The Twilight Zone (cue episode end music).

Nothing but rambling below this line:
---------------------------------
I've always understood that seeing 14.3 or 14.6 or 14.x while driving frequently means your smart 'nator is having to try and charge the battery(s) at a higher rate (i.e. bulk charging) because it's likley detecting that it's below some mark (like 80% for example)... otherwise you should see something between 12.7-13.x volts.

Now, with the Genesis system; the dash displays the auxiliary battery read due to the relocation of the battery sensor. So, if you're like me, and you have a number of accessories on 24/7, then you'll see that 14.x on almost every drive until it tops everything off and it drops to 12.7... or at least I did until I mounted permanent solar panels to the roof 😀 Living in FL, I just let the giant hot Sky-Orange of death take care of my battery level woes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

YIKinSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2Dr
Hi Everyone. So after 27 years of driving on the beach I had my first catastrophe. We were out on the sand yesterday about 1 mile out from the parking lot on Smith Point Outer Beach. My wife's cousin had never driven on the beach before, so I let him take the wheel. He wasn't used to the friction of driving on sand and undercompensated with the clutch and stalled. No big deal right? Well, the Jeep wouldn't restart. Very strange since the Jeep had just been driving for 30 minutes straight.

At first we had power to the dash and a very weak crank. We tried jumper cables, a jumper power-pack, nothing worked. After a few whines from the vehicle, the Jeep stopped responding completely. At that point the dash shut off completely. Luckily we had 10-15 people offer to help. After almost 2 hours we got it winched to turn around and thanks to the kindness of strangers, I was able to have someone tow-rope me back to the parking lot. I then got it towed back to my house with a real tow truck. Obviously this was not cheap but thankfully we got it off the sand which would have been a much more expensive tow.

The weird part is that once we got the Jeep back to my house, we set up a trickle-charger, which is reading that the battery is fully charged! Still no lights on dash, pushing the start button does absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get it at least juiced up enough to close the windows before it rains tonight

I need everyone's advice. Both the main battery and auxiliary battery are original (vehicle purchased in December of 2018 and currently 24k miles). So they might be dead. But why would the trickle charger read full? And why won't it accept a jump? Is there some sort of shut-down mode the Jeep goes into when the battery dies that I need to get out of? I appreciate anyone's help!

Photos and video (including my wife laughing at me) attached below. Link is Youtube

IMG_2762.JPEG

Click this link for my Tow Video

IMG_4527.JPEG
Hi Everyone. So after 27 years of driving on the beach I had my first catastrophe. We were out on the sand yesterday about 1 mile out from the parking lot on Smith Point Outer Beach. My wife's cousin had never driven on the beach before, so I let him take the wheel. He wasn't used to the friction of driving on sand and undercompensated with the clutch and stalled. No big deal right? Well, the Jeep wouldn't restart. Very strange since the Jeep had just been driving for 30 minutes straight.

At first we had power to the dash and a very weak crank. We tried jumper cables, a jumper power-pack, nothing worked. After a few whines from the vehicle, the Jeep stopped responding completely. At that point the dash shut off completely. Luckily we had 10-15 people offer to help. After almost 2 hours we got it winched to turn around and thanks to the kindness of strangers, I was able to have someone tow-rope me back to the parking lot. I then got it towed back to my house with a real tow truck. Obviously this was not cheap but thankfully we got it off the sand which would have been a much more expensive tow.

The weird part is that once we got the Jeep back to my house, we set up a trickle-charger, which is reading that the battery is fully charged! Still no lights on dash, pushing the start button does absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get it at least juiced up enough to close the windows before it rains tonight

I need everyone's advice. Both the main battery and auxiliary battery are original (vehicle purchased in December of 2018 and currently 24k miles). So they might be dead. But why would the trickle charger read full? And why won't it accept a jump? Is there some sort of shut-down mode the Jeep goes into when the battery dies that I need to get out of? I appreciate anyone's help!

Photos and video (including my wife laughing at me) attached below. Link is Youtube

IMG_2762.JPEG

Click this link for my Tow Video

IMG_4527.JPEG
Not sure what's worse the battery issue or the wife, but I've had both. Luckily there is the Genesis dual battery kit. After I had my 2019 jumped by the tow driver, it then read it was fine after 30 minutes of driving. I had read about the issue/Genesis before and thought if it happened again I might switch. Next day same bs, won't start so I ordered the kit and two new batteries they recommend. Two days and a little more than two hours problem solved. Now it is a real pain if you have to even get to, not to mention replace, that aux battery. A bit more effort to put the kit in, but now much better output and the both batteries are easily accessible. Note it is not a cheap route: Kit and batteries will run $1,300 (including tax, shipping)

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
2018 JLUR. Factory batteries still going strong. Kept on a battery tender whenever not in use even for two days.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not sure what's worse the battery issue or the wife, but I've had both. Luckily there is the Genesis dual battery kit. After I had my 2019 jumped by the tow driver, it then read it was fine after 30 minutes of driving. I had read about the issue/Genesis before and thought if it happened again I might switch. Next day same bs, won't start so I ordered the kit and two new batteries they recommend. Two days and a little more than two hours problem solved. Now it is a real pain if you have to even get to, not to mention replace, that aux battery. A bit more effort to put the kit in, but now much better output and the both batteries are easily accessible.
That might be a reasonable option if you're a heavy user of ESS, but for the 99.9% who hate ESS, it's a ridiculous waste of money. Just replace the primary battery with a premium battery and pull the F42 fuse. Buy the way, I'm the .1% who likes ESS. My wife gets mad when it's a perfect 80 degrees out and I see a stop light so a furiously hit the drivers side temperate up switch to get it to 80 degrees so ESS works. She always says, why the hell are you turning up the heat? I respond, it's fun to see ESS work. Even a heavy ESS user will never get their $1000 back in fuel savings by the fractions of a penny ESS saves.

Note it is not a cheap route: Kit and batteries will run $1,300 (including tax, shipping)
Plus a PITA installation. Even I, the only person who likes ESS, doesn't use it enough to justify $1,300. Why in the world would you need dual batteries if you weren't a heavy user of ESS. Even those who don't have a Tazer to eliminate it have a good reminder to hit the ESS off switch the first time it comes on. After that, the rest of the trip isn't loading the remaining battery.

Probably the only good thing about ESS is it's convinced me of the virtue of MSS. (Manual Stop Start). My 2.0t burns half the gas as all the JK's with 3.6's on the trail. We frequently stop to inspect the line, they leave their engines running and I engage MSS.

2018 JLUR. Factory batteries still going strong. Kept on a battery tender whenever not in use even for two days.
A battery tender does nothing for a properly functioning electrical system unless you're gone for extended periods. Have you load tested your batteries? Just because it starts doesn't mean the batteries don't need to be replaced. 2018 batteries are loudly ticking time bombs. BTW, my neighbor hasn't changed his oil since 2018 and he has the same assertion, running strong.

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
I'm quite sure that most of you aren't aware that Mr. Murphy is a long time engineer at Jeep. This case has his name written all over it.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm quite sure that most of you aren't aware that Mr. Murphy is a long time engineer at Jeep. This case has his name written all over it.
Murphy was the chief engineer on the ESS, clutch, steering, cooling on the 2.0 turbo, paint on the hinges, and ...? I'm forgetting a few other areas where he was chief engineer.
Sponsored