Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Not interested in the brave new connected world. I spend enough time and effort trying to prevent my phone from spying on me... don’t want to deal with that shit in my jeep too.
Don't worry, Jeeps won't be around much longer anyway. Once the Millenials from India engineer the Wrangler with IFS up front and the Boomers die off, the market will tank, electric cars with no range will be the standard and we'll all own nothing and like it. SXS are quickly becoming the go-to for off-road enthusiasts and no one can afford all the glamping and overlanding stuff. Land issues will close more and more trails. we'll all be relegated to a few miles in specific "parks" or "rec areas" and the traffic will be Hell. I guess Hell will get it's Revenge after all.
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Well, this little video advertisement will sure tug at some people's heart strings. It has lots of cute emotional imagery... It looks to have been developed by a team of marketeers who have only a vague notion about what we actually do with our Jeeps. It's actually just a tad insulting.
This was running through my mind as I watched the gal at the end of the video plug in her and her friend's charging cords before she went and sat down to enjoy the campfire... in the dark... in the middle of a forest... Does Jeep have a huge backcountry electrical charging infrastructure project going on that no one knows about? Are they installing those solar charging stations out in the middle of the forest and she just didn't want to have to wake up early? Was she charging her 4XE off her friend's Magneto? Or... maybe they were just providing some "emotional imagery" as old mike put it.

As for the new tech, some cool ideas, but once the novelty wore off most of it would go unused just like a lot of the other bells and whistles my current Jeep has.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
And you will still lose your backup camera guide lines and have the constant tone out of the radio till you pull fuse f97

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry, Jeeps won't be around much longer anyway. Once the Millenials from India engineer the Wrangler with IFS up front and the Boomers die off, the market will tank, electric cars with no range will be the standard and we'll all own nothing and like it. SXS are quickly becoming the go-to for off-road enthusiasts and no one can afford all the glamping and overlanding stuff. Land issues will close more and more trails. we'll all be relegated to a few miles in specific "parks" or "rec areas" and the traffic will be Hell. I guess Hell will get it's Revenge after all.
Ha! I feel you. Hopefully the Wrangler stays pure but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m seriously considering getting a Mahindra Roxor one day - cheaper than restoring or buying a restored CJ! As far as land goes, I feel like your concerns may be a little overblown. This is a HUGE country. There will be space out there to wheel and camp on.

Wow there are some dark, negative people on this forum. Holy hell. Have some fun out there people. Just be happy. So much complaining and anger. Get over it.
Being happy and having fun are not mutually exclusive with being angry, dark and negative. People are multi-faceted. I can maintain my pessimistic view of the future and still very much enjoy life, be happy, and have fun out there. Don’t take anything anyone says on these here forums too seriously brother 🤙

Sponsored

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Hehe, $22.5B in revenue . . .
Umm, how about just fixing the broken crap on the existing platform that we all already paid for?
Maybe someday we could get the JORP to just show up when we start the Jeep instead of seeing a missing menu icon or not waiting 60s for a little black jeep to drive across the mountain range at the bottom of the page before it opens. Oh, and just maybe a Uconnect Guardian "service" that can actually find my Jeep more than once a week or actually provide current and accurate information and give me more successful command messages than the ones that failed. Perhaps getting it to 100% reliably remote start might be a starting point. Hey, what about one app that actually works (Uconnect, Jeep, My Jeep, Mopar) or fix CarPlay so it actually connects, or keep an MP3 from locking up the head unit or maybe a screen that doesnt rearrange the damn icons every other Thursday.
Solid back-up lines now though, am I right?:like:

rainmaker86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sprt, 22 JLURD (On Order)
I think millennials get a bad rap, I am one and ordered wrangler over a bronco for several reasons. Two of them being solid axels and a diesel. The generation you need to worry about(and the one I think they are planning on making the money on) is the one just graduating Highschool who are used to paying to "unlock" features. Think about it, you want iPhone features, sure, they are built in but you have to pay a 4.99 monthly fee to have access to them.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
All of these companies want to rush into a “connected” network so they can really begin a subscription revenue stream. I work in IT, and it is a hard business model to ignore. But none of these companies are putting security as a priority. As more and more vehicles get online, it will only be a matter of time before the first ransomware comes along that literally locks you out of the vehicle unless you pay $500 in bitcoin. These are auto makers first and foremost; they are not cyber security firms. Even the best firewall companies out there get exploited. This is why I will not ever buy a vehicle that connects to the internet. Security is far more concerning to me in a lethal moving vehicle than to have it connected to the internet.

Call me old fashioned, but I’ll take tactile buttons & knobs over touch screen and remote connectivity.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Connecting us to the Internet and tracking allows them to also charge us by the mile for tolls, taxes etc.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
All of these companies want to rush into a “connected” network so they can really begin a subscription revenue stream. I work in IT, and it is a hard business model to ignore. But none of these companies are putting security as a priority. As more and more vehicles get online, it will only be a matter of time before the first ransomware comes along that literally locks you out of the vehicle unless you pay $500 in bitcoin. These are auto makers first and foremost; they are not cyber security firms. Even the best firewall companies out there get exploited. This is why I will not ever buy a vehicle that connects to the internet. Security is far more concerning to me in a lethal moving vehicle than to have it connected to the internet.

Call me old fashioned, but I’ll take tactile buttons & knobs over touch screen and remote connectivity.
Agreed. That's why I'd never run a Taser plugged-in since you have to remove what little security you have to do that.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

What would be cool is a smaller HUD image (think iPhone size) showing what the trail cam sees…are you listening FCA errr Stellantis?
Buddy of mine just got a Ford F-150 Tremor and its front-facing cam overlays wheel paths, so you could basically be your own spotter, more or less.

THAT would be pretty cool combined with a HUD.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Well, this little video advertisement will sure tug at some people's heart strings. It has lots of cute emotional imagery. But, it really doesn't say a darn thing that actual adults might want to know about the product, what it will be, what it will cost, what systems it will run on, why we ought to have it, or what it might cost. It looks to have been developed by a team of marketeers who have only a vague notion about what we actually do with our Jeeps. It's actually just a tad insulting.
Man, this is how product development works sometimes. It has to start with a vision, which may or may not be grounded in reality. A "what if we could do ..." idea.

Then they do some research/investigation to see if it's even possible, and/or something people would actually want (is there an audience for it?). Those get brought together and one side says "Man, people really liked XXX" and the other says "Well, bad news. XXX isn't possible, but we could get pretty close with XXY" and back and forth, trying to strike a balance between the original vision and the reality (with confines such as existing tech, cost to develop new tech, supply chain, materials, COGs, etc) until you eventually get a product that may or may not fit with the original vision, or within reach of normal people.

A good product development team gets pretty close to both.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Love it! It'd be neat to be able to retrofit. Love the heads-up display, too. That's where the inclinometer needs to be.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Buddy of mine just got a Ford F-150 Tremor and its front-facing cam overlays wheel paths, so you could basically be your own spotter, more or less.

THAT would be pretty cool combined with a HUD.
I had a Garmin wireless camera underneath my JL that gave a forward view through the Overlander nav unit. It was great. I could precisely place the front wheels and I could dodge the front diff around rocks or logs. I could even see how deep the puddles were until the camera was submerged. Problem was that after a few months of fun, I smashed it on a rock. It was in a spot underneath that I thought was relatively protected and where I'd never hit before in lots of off-roading. It proves once again that God has a sense of humor. I've since put one on the bumper. It has adustable lines for tire placement, so it still works fairly well for picking a precise line. It's just not as good as it was when I could actually see the tires.
Sponsored