Sponsored

Jeep dealer will not put clutch or transmission under warranty (<50k miles)

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Whoah. Yikes. Either they didn't actually DO the recall (but told you they did), or the recall isn't reliably effective. The latter would mean that every JL on the road, even those built after Jan 2021, are at risk for this. Sigh.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It sounds like you have a real case against them. I would look for a more reputable dealer, try google reviews. Even if the clutch is wear and tear, your trans should be covered by the warranty. Offer to buy the clutch and have them put it in with a new transmission. A few hundred bucks out of pocket is your best compromise.
Worst case, you find a mechanic buddy and buy one from LKQ roughly $1700. 2 in the country.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you have the recall done on your transmission?

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Yup, both have them have been done
Since the second recall was a software update, the only obvious sign that it was done is the appearance of the gear indicator above the odometer. Do you know if that was present, which would help confirm that the recall was done correctly?

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Sue them. Per se.

It is not difficult. Not even expensive.

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
Yup, both have them have been done
Yikes. So it sounds like Stellantis' software kludge to prevent excessive clutch slippage isn't working in real life. And it seems JL's out there with a manual transmission are still potential grenades.

Maybe Stellantis should market these Jeeps as a weapon for the military.

Mfdaly1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Hella
Vehicle Showcase
So, here I am, the latest victim of this 2018 JLU clutch debacle.
I had overheating early on (smell, smoke (once)) and received the two recalls. Did the first one. The second one they put me off for a year, stating the ā€œsoftware wasnā€™t released yetā€. About a year ago, the clutch started to slip..I asked the local dealer to tell me what was happening. He reported ā€œnothingā€.
continued to worsen. Now 37,000 miles, canā€™t hold speed control, slips badly in acceleration. Dealer I bought it from (Brownā€™s Patchogue, NY) tells me the clutch is bad and not covered. $2000+ . Does Jeep think weā€™re dumb?
Multiple recalls, poor design, late fixes and NOT COVERED?
Who wants to join in a CLASS ACTION? This will be my LAST Jeep (#5) if they arenā€™t good on this.
#broncolookingbetter

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I had overheating early on (smell, smoke (once)) and received the two recalls. Did the first one. The second one they put me off for a year, stating the ā€œsoftware wasnā€™t released yetā€. About a year ago, the clutch started to slip..I asked the local dealer to tell me what was happening. He reported ā€œnothingā€.
continued to worsen. Now 37,000 miles, canā€™t hold speed control, slips badly in acceleration. Dealer I bought it from (Brownā€™s Patchogue, NY) tells me the clutch is bad and not covered. $2000+ . Does Jeep think weā€™re dumb?
Who wants to join in a CLASS ACTION? This will be my LAST Jeep (#5) if they arenā€™t good on this.
#broncolookingbetter
I am a Long Islander. The dealers here not great unfortunately. But from reading we arenā€™t alone. Apparently Jeep dealers suck everywhere.

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
#broncolookingbetter
I just saw in another thread on here that there IS a class action suit forming up. Search again for clutch and look at the most recent threads. I just traded my 21 manual Rubi for a 22 Rubi XR, and while I was sad to scarifice having a manual to get an XR, I have to say that I am relieved not to have the JL clutch-bomb under my feet any more. Good luck to all of you!

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just saw in another thread on here that there IS a class action suit forming up. Search again for clutch and look at the most recent threads. I just traded my 21 manual Rubi for a 22 Rubi XR, and while I was sad to scarifice having a manual to get an XR, I have to say that I am relieved not to have the JL clutch-bomb under my feet any more. Good luck to all of you!
Hi Mike
I am going to trade my manual Rubi for an auto Rubi XR. Although I havenā€™t driven one yet Iā€™m sure it will be similar to the regular rubicon or better. I too will be relieved to not have to worry about the clutch anymore. Iā€™ve spent way too much time and energy on it. Iā€™m sad because itā€™s my dream Jeep. But I look on the bright side- I get to start over and have remote start now.

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Hi Mike
I am going to trade my manual Rubi for an auto Rubi XR. Although I havenā€™t driven one yet Iā€™m sure it will be similar to the regular rubicon or better. I too will be relieved to not have to worry about the clutch anymore. Iā€™ve spent way too much time and energy on it. Iā€™m sad because itā€™s my dream Jeep. But I look on the bright side- I get to start over and have remote start now.
Yeah... I took a lot of joy and pride in being one of the few still driving the stick. The XR is awesome; I am sure you will be happy. There IS a consistent issue with the XR where the bump stop gap is too small on many of them and you therefore have limited up-travel on your front suspension; this is the case with mine. I am going to take it on Hell's Revenge or something similar and see how it feels before I decide if something needs to be done about it. But it's a much less-stressful concern than the clutch issue. So far, having gone from a '21 manual Rubi to a '22 Rubi XR, I am very happy. It sure is cool to have the 35s and a little bit of a lift.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did read about the bump stop thing. I never wheel. Maybe twice a year I go in beach sand so it may not affect me. If so itā€™s easily fixable. I agree on the 35s they look much better. I hate the K02s though. Iā€™ll take them off. I may keep the Mopar rims if I donā€™t have issues mounting other tires. They are only 8ā€ and most 35s require at least 8 1/2

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I did read about the bump stop thing. I never wheel. Maybe twice a year I go in beach sand so it may not affect me. If so itā€™s easily fixable. I agree on the 35s they look much better. I hate the K02s though. Iā€™ll take them off. I may keep the Mopar rims if I donā€™t have issues mounting other tires. They are only 8ā€ and most 35s require at least 8 1/2
Should be ok running the 35s on those 8s. Many have been running 35s on the stock 7.5s without issue. Might need to go to an independent shop to have them mounted, some of the big chain stores seem to be more stringent if a tire is outside the recommended wheel width range YMMV.
Sponsored