Sponsored

Jeep dealer will not put clutch or transmission under warranty (<50k miles)

OP
OP
3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the tow truck towed it with the drive wheels on the ground. That probably didn't help. Just blame the tow truck.
Haha, that would be one way to go about it. I put the transfer case in neutral though

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Ok, not what you're going to want to hear, but if the clutch damaged the transmission, it's likely not covered. If a non-covered item damaged another item (covered or not) it wouldn't be a warranty issue (not a "failure" of the transmission).

ETA: you have to ask the "but for" question. But for the clutch, the transmission would still work. If the clutch is not covered, those things damaged by the clutch are not failures of that part. The transmission didn't fail, it was damaged by the clutch.
Yeah, but if the clutch is defective and dangerous as it is designed, and Jeep knows this, then they should accept all responsibility. I know, "should" and "will" are very different. But the dealer was trying to tell OP that the clutch failed due to his usage of it, which is in all likelihood false, and that is the problem. A disaster happened because Jeep delivered a terribly designed product... if there aren't already, I am sure class-action lawsuits will result from this.

OP
OP
3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but if the clutch is defective and dangerous as it is designed, and Jeep knows this, then they should accept all responsibility. I know, "should" and "will" are very different. But the dealer was trying to tell OP that the clutch failed due to his usage of it, which is in all likelihood false, and that is the problem. A disaster happened because Jeep delivered a terribly designed product... if there aren't already, I am sure class-action lawsuits will result from this.
I was doing some reading up on their clutch recall/fix and it seems like whatever went wrong with those was what happened with mine.

“The clutch pressure plate, which transfers power to the clutch, can overheat as a result of friction and then fracture, ultimately leading to the possibility of the transmission case cracking and expelling heated debris. This could cause fire.”

Minus the fire, this is pretty much the same situation I was in,

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think you should email the recall notice to your dealer and say that is what likely happened.

Simultaneously open a case with Jeep (by phone) and say that your clutch failed in the manner described in the recall and you need help with having the repairs authorized under warranty.

Good luck. And don't buy any more manual Wranglers - there is just nothing good about them.

OP
OP
3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
I think you should email the recall notice to your dealer and say that is what likely happened.

Simultaneously open a case with Jeep (by phone) and say that your clutch failed in the manner described in the recall and you need help with having the repairs authorized under warranty.

Good luck. And don't buy any more manual Wranglers - there is just nothing good about them.
Yeah I will definitely be doing that, thanks

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I was doing some reading up on their clutch recall/fix and it seems like whatever went wrong with those was what happened with mine.

“The clutch pressure plate, which transfers power to the clutch, can overheat as a result of friction and then fracture, ultimately leading to the possibility of the transmission case cracking and expelling heated debris. This could cause fire.”

Not sure if I saw this earlier, but when did you take delivery of your vehicle? If it was after Jan 2021, it should have had the recall/fix to prevent this. If you got yours after that time and this still happened, I will be more concerned about mine. I got mine in July 2021, which means there SHOULD be a fix in place that prevents this.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM

As others have noted, the clutch itself is a wearable component and given you have a 2018 I would guess it would be out of warranty at this point. The clutch being out and not covered seems like a fair position for the dealer to take at this point (though I don't have all details).

However, regarding the transmission itself, to the extent that the issue is related to the recall, you may have a case... @gato 's suggestion seems like a wise one that you may want to pursue.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It is just wild that these things grenade upon failure. Seems like a poor design on Jeep's part, my hope is mine gracefully degrades over time and we have a few viable replacement options coming out over the next few years. I know Southbend and Centerforce have options out now, but CF has already redesigned theirs. Maybe Mopar will offer a "performance clutch" which addresses the apparent deficiencies in the stock design.

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
It is just wild that these things grenade upon failure. Seems like a poor design on Jeep's part, my hope is mine gracefully degrades over time and we have a few viable replacement options coming out over the next few years. I know Southbend and Centerforce have options out now, but CF has already redesigned theirs. Maybe Mopar will offer a "performance clutch" which addresses the apparent deficiencies in the stock design.
I own a 6sp manual and love it. I ordered after the recall was announced knowing that the automatic is "better" simply because I love driving manuals and that the risk is worth it.

That said, Jeep has clearly focused their manufacturing and engineering decisions around the automatic transmission drivetrain. The manual transmission (excluding the clutch assembly) is apparently Japanese Aisin and well made but has lower torque specs than the auto (probably to save costs). The diff gearing is perfect for the automatics but generally too tall for the manuals (I have 4.10s and it is fine but 4.56 would have been better from factory... no manuals should be getting 3.73 from Jeep ever IMO). Surely this was done because having special axle assemblies for 20%(?) of vehicles is more expensive than having single axle for each model. Then of course there are the clutch issues (I haven't experienced any of them myself for what it is worth).

Again, I love my manual and would 100% buy again. Too much fun. But Jeep clearly puts optimizing it lower on their priority list relative to Automatics.