Sponsored

Jeep dealer installed lift to maintain warranty?

Sniggih1981

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was told that I needed A Jeep dealership to install my lift to maintain my factory warranty. How true is this. Any experience with dealer installs?
Thanks
Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I wouldn't trust a Stealership to install a life on any vehicle I own. Most can't even change the oil without over filling the engine. Would you really trust them with a lift kit? I ride the warranty out and then modify the vehicle after the warranty expires.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I was told that I needed A Jeep dealership to install my lift to maintain my factory warranty. How true is this. Any experience with dealer installs?
Thanks
FWIW, my dealership said they would have to prove that my installation was the reason for the failure if it were to happen. So, according to them I'm covered even tho I did the install. I'm sure this is one of those political or religious type discussions where you will find stories on both sides.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Go to OK4wd ( Washington NJ) or there is a good shop in Hopatcong ( the 4x4 place), if your up North NJ, central or south i'm not sure about a good shop.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I wouldn't trust a Stealership to install a life on any vehicle I own. Most can't even change the oil without over filling the engine. Would you really trust them with a lift kit? I ride the warranty out and then modify the vehicle after the warranty expires.
I'm doing the same. 5 years the jeep stays as is. After the warranty expires LOOK OUT!

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Sniggih1981

Sniggih1981

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Go to OK4wd ( Washington NJ) or there is a good shop in Hopatcong ( the 4x4 place), if your up North NJ, central or south i'm not sure about a good shop.
I heard good things about the place in hopacong. I’ll look into it. Thanks

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
They know their stuff, wherever you have it installed, tell them you want about 6 degrees of castor if your kit has adjustable control arms.
That seems to be the magic #, I have read it here quite a few times on build threads.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Thanks
My understanding from Jeep is that if it wasn't installed in the factory, they do not support it. Jeep considers Mopar on the same level as any other third party parts provider.

I am not a lawyer. My understanding is that the manufacturer has to prove that a modification you made caused damage to a warranted part in order to deny warranty.

In practice that whole diagnosis issue can be "fun".

Also, a good off road shop is probably a better option for a quality installation than your local dealer. Mopar parts carry a different warranty when the dealer installs them vs a non authorized provider, so that is something to keep in mind as well.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Thanks
Mopar offers a 2" lift that if you have it installed by an authorized/Jeep approved dealer you will be able to maintain warranty on your lift, and other components attached to that lift, assuming you don't abuse it or cause damage through negligence.

Some Jeep owners will go this route, especially if they are worried about warranty claims and/or purchased something like an extended warranty.

Technically your Jeep dealer is correct that if you go with an aftermarket lift, any warranty claim and work associated with the aftermarket lift is no longer Jeep's responsibility. Technically if they think a lift and bigger wheels/tires contributed to additional wear or stress on the suspension/drive-train they may be able to deny a warranty claim, but it depends on the issue and dealer.

It's a personal choice and many people buy aftermarket lifts and just understand the responsibility shifts on some components and parts from Jeep to them-self.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Mopar offers a 2" lift that if you have it installed by an authorized/Jeep approved dealer you will be able to maintain warranty on your lift, and other components attached to that lift, assuming you don't abuse it or cause damage through negligence.

Some Jeep owners will go this route, especially if they are worried about warranty claims and/or purchased something like an extended warranty.

Technically your Jeep dealer is correct that if you go with an aftermarket lift, any warranty claim and work associated with the aftermarket lift is no longer Jeep's responsibility. Technically if they think a lift and bigger wheels/tires contributed to additional wear or stress on the suspension/drive-train they may be able to deny a warranty claim, but it depends on the issue and dealer.

It's a personal choice and many people buy aftermarket lifts and just understand the responsibility shifts on some components and parts from Jeep to them-self.
On a different issue that I am having with a Mopar accessory kit that I purchase through the dealer and I had the dealer install, Jeep doesn’t consider the dealer any different than any other service shop, and Mopar different than any other accessory supplier. The Mopar warranty is better if a Mopar certified shop installs the accessories. It is Jeep that doesn’t recognize it. Really stupid.
Sponsored