Sponsored

Jeep corporate cancelled my price-protected sold 392 order after waiting 3 months, will never buy a Jeep again [Closed Due to Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

I’m not complaining about the deposit, I know the dealer will give me the $500 back. My problem is the deposit becoming a one-sided transaction where the buyer loses deposit when an order is canceled by the buyer but the dealer/manufacturer can cancel with no penalty. That defeats the purpose of having a deposit in the first place.
No, it doesn't defeat the purpose, because that's the point or purpose of the deposit, for the dealer. You're not charging the dealer a deposit, and they're not guaranteeing you anything. They have no stake in the game. You're guaranteeing them something, and you're putting an interest into the relationship. They are not. It's a completely one-sided transaction, and not a binding contract. There hasn't been a transfer of anything between both parties, only one. So, you are bound, they are not...and I would argue you are not either, but that's really outside the scope of all of this.

As a business person, you should realize when they ask for a deposit, you're not actually creating a binding contract. Both parties have to have stake in the outcome, and they don't. All they have to do is renege and return your deposit. It's the purpose of them asking for a deposit, so you have stake in the game.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have no comment on this subject specifically; however, when I pay my fair share of taxes each and every year, I do my best to pay the least amount, legally and ethically.

Since this doesn’t necessarily cross the legal boundary, does it cross the unethical mark? And if so, who’s to say what he’s doing with his purchase is less wrong than you turning a blind eye to what your CPA does each year?

Just a thought…

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have no comment on this subject specifically; however, when I pay my fair share of taxes each and every year, I do my best to pay the least amount, legally and ethically.

Since this doesn’t necessarily cross the legal boundary, does it cross the unethical mark? And if so, who’s to say what he’s doing with his purchase is less wrong than you turning a blind eye to what your CPA does each year?

Just a thought…
I have done my own taxes for 40+ years except for a few when I created a couple of businesses that involved the commercial use of my home. I hired a CPA and one of the first questions he had for me was, "Do you want to eat well, or sleep well?". That got me thinking.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Stop the nonsense. The OP has NO legit business interest in Montana this was strictly a way to avoid paying sales tax. Here on Long Island there are some guys running around with Montana plates but they are usually on a high end Lambo or equivalent sports car. And even then its rare, many states are cracking down on this and it's a HUGE red flag to anyone who's familiar with the scheme.

Not to mention your insurance specifically forbids this in most cases. Might as well put a sign that says "Audit me" on your car. But to avoid sales tax on a cheap (comparatively) Wrangler? That takes a special kind of deadbeat.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Stop the nonsense. The OP has NO legit business interest in Montana this was strictly a way to avoid paying sales tax. Here on Long Island there are some guys running around with Montana plates but they are usually on a high end Lambo or equivalent sports car. And even then its rare, many states are cracking down on this and it's a HUGE red flag to anyone who's familiar with the scheme.

Not to mention your insurance specifically forbids this in most cases. Might as well put a sign that says "Audit me" on your car. But to avoid sales tax on a cheap (comparatively) Wrangler? That takes a special kind of deadbeat.
Agreed, something completely different going on here for sure.... next caller please, and do try and be truthful this time

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
For this thread the taxation issue is a red herring. Interesting though likely off topic..

—Does Stellantis have a contract with buyer? No.
—Can Stellantis cancel? Yes.
—Dealer's contract with buyer is contingent upon Stellantis delivering custom order to dealer.
—Buyer's consideration is a commitment to purchase custom order; dealer's commitment is to place custom order.
—Once vehicle is delivered to dealer, dealer has an obligation to sell custom order to buyer.

Stellantis can cancel a custom order for a myriad of reasons without any legal recourse available to dealer or buyer. The assumed tax issue may apply or may not; either way it is of no consequence here—

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Can afford a 392, but refuses to pay taxes…. :facepalm:
Loling because most EarthRoamer owners register under a Montana LLC. Can only imagine the taxes on a $665k vehicle 🤢

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
For this thread the taxation issue is a red herring. Interesting though likely off topic..

—Does Stellantis have a contract with buyer? No.
—Can Stellantis cancel? Yes.
—Dealer's contract with buyer is contingent upon Stellantis delivering custom order to dealer.
—Buyer's consideration is a commitment to purchase custom order; dealer's commitment is to place custom order.
—Once vehicle is delivered to dealer, dealer has an obligation to sell custom order to buyer.

Stellantis can cancel a custom order for a myriad of reasons without any legal recourse available to dealer or buyer. The assumed tax issue may apply or may not; either way it is of no consequence here—
Right? Stellantis cancel the order 3 months into it. If they canceled it within the first week, yeah okay whatever, I'll just order it through a different means; no big deal. But 3 months into the process, I can only imagine OP order was either about to be built or already finished. Either way, what has happened recently that would make Stellantis decide to cancel all orders for Montana LLCs this year, and not any other year prior.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Taxation is theft.
I should start paying more than I owe, since taxes are a charity/ponzi scheme for the rich/poor and I'm just an average Joe stuck in the middle feeding it. Maybe taxes should be partially turned into a lottery? Cause it's not like I'd ever win at that either. =/

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Oh, I forgot to mention -- @dgoldenz If you had a deposit, it would be wise to contact your state attorney general with all the details.
It would only be wise if the dealer doesn't give it back.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

Just a thought…
If you're turning a blind eye to your CPA and know he's doing something illegal or unethical....well someone will be seeing you shortly. Your first paragraph doesn't seem in synch with your second paragraph.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Taxation is theft.
Taxation is only theft when the proceeds of such taxation go beyond the scope of defense, law enforcement, roads and bridges, health and safety. I do agree that anything beyond that; for example, when "someone" hands out government paid-for crack pipes, that is a moral theft of your money. "They" would argue that it falls under "health and safety" though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.